Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks doyle, as the season sratrs to begin i will be keeping up better with pictures of our projects and progress.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm very impressed with your story. I'm 15 years old and currently mow around 8 yards a week and do mulch and other jobs periodically throughout the year for many neighbors. How did you expand and get so many accounts at a young age I live in the Cincinnati area an go to Anderson high school. At what age did you form an LLC and when did you start paying insurance on your landscaping jobs. Also, which would you recommend for walk behinds, scag or exmark? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Back when you were 15-16-17 years old, how did you charge for mowing, did you use a flat fee or an hourly rate, what did you charge for mulch?
Thanks
Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i got started so ealry just beasue i liked it and enjoyed making money. i grew so rappidly through aggressive marketing through door hangers, post cards, and word of mouth. just gotta huslte. the whole business was official when i turned 18 since i was not a minor anymore. at that time i got all the proper insurance and stuff. was paying taxes since day one though. today was one of the most eventful and stressful days i have ever had! landed 25 more accounts and now have to worry about the up coming rain this weekend for mowing ugh. i guess thats how it goes though, make hay while the sun shines. both are quality mowers. i would just buy one that is mechanically solid. i count on my equiptment... without it i would not be where i am today. that is why i buy quality first time around and dont deal with stupid repairs. i charge per cut and bill it monthly. as far as mulch goes you have to factor in your costs and then just add what you want to make. if you do a good job and are upfront with the people they will understand. hope that helps.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help, where do you get your door hangers, post cards, and business cards from. How many crew members do you have, and how many accounts do you have for mowing. When you purchase equipment, do you buy it new or used?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i get it all from adeas printing they are great to work with and reasonable. this year we will have around 70 mowing accounts. i generally buy used. you just have to know what you are looking at and for. that is what largly enabled me to grow. buying good equiptment cheap. doing this allows me to have really probably more equiptment than i need but since im a full time college student i need all the help i can get to get the mose out of every day that im out working. currently im running with four guys. may have to get another if things keep up the way they are going with mulch and spring catching alot of people by supprise.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well ive been slacking on the pics since this has been our busiest season ever. Here are a few pics of projects that we have done. On another note we added a 16' 10K mower trailer that has improved effeciency massively.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After tearing out and installing new walls and plants
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Small sod job
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of material do you put down after tearing up the sod?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I put down a nice layer of topsoil and starter fert.... assuming that the soil is already in good shape.