Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep up the great work! Great inspiration in the world we are in! A lot of people who are looking for hand me outs without the hard work. Great job and can't wait to see more pics and more words of hard work and encouragement!

A Taste Of Nature
GOD Bless;Genesis 1:3
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes. im a freshman
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks atasteofnature. building up what i have to show now has taken alot of blood sweat and tears
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Dang thats crazy, same here, I'm a freshman too. Never thought I would meet someone else who went to xavier on here lol. Impressive operation you got going there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

where are you going to school? UC? yeah its insane as it is. i have not really marketed that much for work before and this year im sending out 4,000 postcards and some doorhangers in about a week. that should test my multi tasking skills haha.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

No I go to X too.. but yeah I wanna try some door hangers too, where were you gonna order yours from?
And that's pretty cool you started out with a jeep. Same here too. Can't beat the straight six 4.0l. What size trailer were you pulling with it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2012, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi Barret, nice to meet you. I think that shop...regardless if you are just renting it or you own it... is absolutely perfect for your growing business. It looks nice and secure. With plenty of room to work on your equipment, to store old and new equipment (and toys) to park more than a few full sized vehicles and trailers. You can shut the doors while you load/unload/maintain equip, stay fairly warm and dry. It's also a great place for you and the guys working with/for to sit down and relax before heading for home, have a snack, something cold to drink, discuss the day, shoot the bull back and forth after work.

A very impressive accomplishment for a 19 year old entrepreneur. Excellent! Keep up the good work!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a few comments, please take no offense because none is intended, here goes...

First, I must ask this, although the name of your business gives the impression that you provide professional landscaping services, your business provides mainly lawn care services as well as tree services, and you do some occasional landscaping, is that not correct?
The reason I ask is, because here in Cali, you are not legally allowed to use the word "Landscaping" on your business cards or in any business advertising, unless you are a State Licensed Landscape Contractor.
Just saying. Though I know that the vast majority of members here will disagree with this statement, I want you to know that there is a huge difference between being a lawn service provider and being a landscaper. The necessary skill set is different, the work is very different and it involves having the ability to perform a wide range of different tasks, every day.
I don't mean to sound like I don't think that Lawn care service providers do an important job or are unskilled laborers, I don't think that at all, I have the utmost respect for that work and the people who make a living doing it.

But that happens to be a personal peeve of mine, I think it's wrong for business owners or anyone else, to call themselves landscapers when they haven't yet acquired the skills needed to actually be a landscaper and be one for a living. Understand what I mean?

Anyway with all that said, I want to comment on the stone steps that you or perhaps a worker of yours installed. They do not appear to have a wide enough tread for safe use. They look unsafe, a tripping/falling hazard. There is a formula that is used for height of rise to width and length of tread necessary to install steps that are safe to use, you need to look it up. You are opening your business up to lawsuits if you install unsafe steps and someone gets hurt while using them. This is important info for you to know. I'm sharing my knowledge. not putting down your work.

Question on the second pic. Did you go ahead and re-build the bottom wall as well, so it matches the angle and look of the two walls above it? If you didn't, then I think you probably should have, if you did then a pic of the job once completed, would be nice to see.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

lizzie, no you do not. the steps are roughy 2' wide and have a depth of around 1.5' so there reallt isnt an issue there. the bottom stone wall the customer wanted to be left intact for now at least. my company does all forms of work associated with the green industry aside from major retaining walls and serious bobcat work. we are fully insured and covered for the services that we provide.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

w&w i got them from adeas printing. have had a pretty good ecperience working with them.