Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM
zeroturnman zeroturnman is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Forest City, Iowa
Posts: 15
Locked in fuel price for 2012

Just got done booking 2000 gallons of gas for April - October for 2012 at $3.44 gallon at my local Farmers Cooperative here in Iowa.The current price here is $3.15. Last year my average price for the season was $3.63. I was going to lock it in last year at $3.18, but Libya came along before I got it done.

I am now guaranteed to save $380.00 for 2012 vs 2011, and not have to worry about what happens in the Middle East or about fuel surcharges.

Now if I could just book rain for the coming season, I would be good!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM
ralph02813 ralph02813 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroturnman View Post
Just got done booking 2000 gallons of gas for April - October for 2012 at $3.44 gallon at my local Farmers Cooperative here in Iowa.The current price here is $3.15. Last year my average price for the season was $3.63. I was going to lock it in last year at $3.18, but Libya came along before I got it done.

I am now guaranteed to save $380.00 for 2012 vs 2011, and not have to worry about what happens in the Middle East or about fuel surcharges.

Now if I could just book rain for the coming season, I would be good!
I would try for late saturday night or early sunday mornings that way its all dry my Monday!!!
__________________
Ralph
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
1999 Chevy Silverado 1500
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,486
This is an excellent idea. You just never know what is going to happen. But I would bet that the prices go up instead of down. I'd like to do this but I don't use that much fuel. I don't know of many people that are shorting fuel.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
ralph02813 ralph02813 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Charlestown, RI
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This is an excellent idea. You just never know what is going to happen. But I would bet that the prices go up instead of down. I'd like to do this but I don't use that much fuel. I don't know of many people that are shorting fuel.
ions ago, I ran into a guy who was buying fuel for his fishing boat, he boat every week -more fuel than most of us to in a week. He said if you buy often its like buying stocks, some times you pay too much, sometimes just right, sometimes you even score. This always make me think of buy a tank for the truck - how much could I save?
__________________
Ralph
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
1999 Chevy Silverado 1500
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph02813 View Post
This always make me think of buy a tank for the truck - how much could I save?
It depends on the price of fuel. The smart bets are that it will go up. By how much is the ba-zillion dollar question. If they don't get the Iran situation defused and hostilities break out I've heard of gas to $8 and $9 a gallon.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It depends on the price of fuel. The smart bets are that it will go up. By how much is the ba-zillion dollar question. If they don't get the Iran situation defused and hostilities break out I've heard of gas to $8 and $9 a gallon.
Yes, the iranian situation affects the prices, no question, but if we don't get a new president and congress that will actually cut spending, the dollar won't be worth squat in the very near future, and no longer be the world standard for all countries who buy oil. It has long been the currency that all other countries have to switch their currency over to to be able to buy oil. When that changes, that will allow a different form of currency to be setting oil prices globaly. That means gas could go a lot higher than $9 p/gal.

I definately believe locking in a price now if you can is a smart move. Gas won't be going down any tme in the forseeable future.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
SouthSide Cutter SouthSide Cutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington In
Posts: 1,333
Last time I done that gas went down. And I would have bet it would go up a dollar. I only go thru maybe 55 gal on the mowers a week and if it goes up a 1.00 it aint going to break me. I keep jugs in a storage building locked. If I had a storage tank say 500-1000 gal, I would probably end up loosing some to sticky fingers. If it goes to 9 bucks I just will quit and set in a lawn chair.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
newz7151 newz7151 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,471
Is the gas at the CO-OP ethanol free or is it still E-10? If it is non-ethanol (which i believe farmer CO-OPs are legally allowed to order from the mixer) then you scored big time with that. Good price for 100% gas that isn't going to screw all your **** up.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2012, 11:08 AM
zeroturnman zeroturnman is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Forest City, Iowa
Posts: 15
The gas I purchased is regular unleaded with no ethanol.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2012, 11:15 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 7,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
Is the gas at the CO-OP ethanol free or is it still E-10? If it is non-ethanol (which i believe farmer CO-OPs are legally allowed to order from the mixer) then you scored big time with that. Good price for 100% gas that isn't going to screw all your **** up.
Gimme a break with this baloney. E10 has been around for decades.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.15549 seconds with 9 queries