Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Speed Tips To Share

To benefit those who haven't discovered it yet, post all your suggestions for shaving time off your day.

Things like:

1) Staying off the walks and drives if your tires are wet and grass covered to avoid the clean-up.

2) Keep from discharging the clippings into the beds or on walks and drives to make less blowing, especially if it is wet.

3) Have tools and spare parts in the truck to avoid a trip home or to the dealer.

4) If you double cut raise the deck 1/4" or 1/2" on the second cut.

5) Arrange schedule to do thickest lawns later in the day, thinner lawns in the morning.

6) I could go on but now it is your turn...
Exmark 31 hp lazer 72" /w/ ultravac QDS
Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
Kubota with 60" Aeravator
10+13 hp Little wonder blowers
Shindaiwa and Stihl Trimmers + Blowers
CAT 303 C CR ASV RC50 + attachments
Solo Except When Absolutely Necessary
Old 02-07-2008, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Come on people; nobody has any tips for the newbees?
Exmark 31 hp lazer 72" /w/ ultravac QDS
Exmark 48" Turf Tracer
Kubota with 60" Aeravator
10+13 hp Little wonder blowers
Shindaiwa and Stihl Trimmers + Blowers
CAT 303 C CR ASV RC50 + attachments
Solo Except When Absolutely Necessary
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

weedeat and edge first then mow saves on clean up time.
pick up all debris off lawn so you don't have to clean up a mess at the end
Have tools arraged on the trailer so you are not having to shuffle anything arond to get what you need.
biggest time saving tip I have though is be smart and plan your mowing pattern out ahead of time for each yard. This will save you alot of time and some times give you enough edge to actually mower at a slower pace when tired and still have the same productivity as others
Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Make your footsteps count when trimming and blowing. The less turns you make while mowing means the more efficient you will mow. Learn when and where to stripe and where it's not necessary (it wastes time).
Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLS View Post
To benefit those who haven't discovered it yet, post all your suggestions for shaving time off your day.

Things like:

1) Staying off the walks and drives if your tires are wet and grass covered to avoid the clean-up.

2) Keep from discharging the clippings into the beds or on walks and drives to make less blowing, especially if it is wet.

3) Have tools and spare parts in the truck to avoid a trip home or to the dealer.

4) If you double cut raise the deck 1/4" or 1/2" on the second cut.

5) Arrange schedule to do thickest lawns later in the day, thinner lawns in the morning.

6) I could go on but now it is your turn...
I would say those are some of the most important tips anyone could give to someone starting a lawn care business. It is amazing the little things you figure out through the years that will save you time. I really do not have any to add, other than to try and avoid residential accounts early in the morning or later in the afternoon. For the reason that people are usually home, which means they want to come out and talk.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Good stuff. I think these posts are more about working smart than working fast. And that's great advice.

Heres my tip. Don't rush your work. Slow it down. And don't overschedule. The faster you work, the more your quality suffers. You might get more done in the short term, but good work and happy clients bring long-term profits.

I know, easier said than done when you are trying to build a business. I was guilty as charged for the first few years. And I had a high customer turnover rate to show for it until I made quality the priority. Working smart is the key to productivity.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very good tips everybody, thanks. Everythings sounds just right.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Know whats funny, I learned most of these tips the hard way lol (don't worry, I'm jotting a few down that I haven't experienced yet.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with not filling your schedule

also I disagree with not wanting to talk to your customers

how are you going to upsell,or get some feedback.... if you never see them?

I actually go out of my way to try to mix up the order of my schedule on a particualar day to try to find them.. but like i said my biz plan is not to mow the world.... if its yours then thats cool

I sell a quality service and while i agree with not making a mess that I have to clean up, i generaly do not rush....I often grab my lunch and park near a nice scenic overlook, or body of water and enjoy myself.... surprisingly i have made some sales to some local professionals that do the same...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefeetny View Post
I agree with not filling your schedule

also I disagree with not wanting to talk to your customers

how are you going to upsell,or get some feedback.... if you never see them?

I actually go out of my way to try to mix up the order of my schedule on a particualar day to try to find them.. but like i said my biz plan is not to mow the world.... if its yours then thats cool

I sell a quality service and while i agree with not making a mess that I have to clean up, i generaly do not rush....I often grab my lunch and park near a nice scenic overlook, or body of water and enjoy myself.... surprisingly i have made some sales to some local professionals that do the same...
See, I agree with this statement. What do I care if a lawnmower can go 13 mph, if it doesn't leave the best possible cut? I want something that will allow me to leave a quality job done on each account. If I have to slow down my cutting to 6, 7 mph to get the quality that I am looking for then I will. Thats why you can't underestimate the value of a demo. Take the machine for a whole day, and use it EXACTLY how you would use your current machine to get a feel for if you truly see a productivity gain or not.