Register free!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

looking to get into fert applications

I'm located in mass. and looking to get into applications, but i have no experience with it. I would appreciate any advice on the best way to get started. I know you need a license in my state. I am also nervous of burning customers lawns so i would like to get this down before i do any applications.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Practice on your own lawn first! Read the bag if it has instructions. Its pretty hard to burn a lawn if you follow instructions. Do a google search or search on here. The test to get your license will give you a lot of info.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

TGCL has a 4-6 step program for cool season grasses that can be imitiated or you could actually build healthy turf by charging the client less money... Most people simply imitate TGCL/Scotts and you'll be fine...
Old 12-27-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

here is a site you should become very familiar with http://www.mass.gov/agr/pesticides/index.htm Check with different vendors, most offer training seminars over the winter. How many accounts do you have? About 50% of my accounts are subcontracted for LCO's. Feel free to contact me any questions
Old 12-28-2011, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Wisco test is mostly about 'calibrating the sprayers or dusters' , very little about How chemicals work, how fertilizers works, why some times better than others, and other information necessary for wise applications...

Therefore, most people get their lawn information from the label on a Scott's bag... Written by salesmen... It is better to understand a little Botany and plant nutrition...

Then when you learn "How pesticides work", then you'll be able to put together a sensible plan and be able to figure out solutions to problems as they may arise...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, but who is tgcl? I'm looking for the easiest most cost effective program.
Thank you to all who have responded.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

True green chem lawn
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2011, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbeast View Post
Sorry, but who is tgcl? I'm looking for the easiest most cost effective program.
Thank you to all who have responded.
I have a very simple program for cool season grasses, but that is 2 ferts, 2 broadleaf and 1 pre-m(if needed). I have yet to need Pre-m, because most of the turf is shaded...
Nothing complicated at all...
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing you'll need to do is contact the U-Mass bookstore to purchase your study materials. These study materials will prepare you for the actual test to get your "Applicator's License". You must have this license for two years before you can become a "Certified Applicator". These study materials can be purchased from their website at www.umassextensionbookstore.com

1. Core Manual (2ndEd.) w/ MA Core Supplement (2000) $44.00

2. Massachusetts Pesticide Control Act (1978, amended 2000) (Chapter 132B M.G.L.) - $6.00

3. Massachusetts Pesticide Regulations (1979, amended 2010) (333 CMR 1.00-14.00) - $9.00

Your total investment in the study materials will cost you $59.00 + 6.25% tax.

From there, you can study the materials yourself, take some courses or workshops through the Pesticide Bureau, or contact your local Lesco/John Deere Landscapes location to see if they're offering study classes at their location over the winter. Once you feel that you know the "in's & out's" of the study materials, you can then schedule your test. The Massachusetts Pesticide website is actually pretty good and everything you need to know will be right there - including the scheduling of your test, driving directions to the testing sites, dates for the tests, etc.... The website address is www.mass.gov/agr/pesticides

It will cost you $75.00 to schedule and take the test. If you pass the test, you will then need to submit proof of insurance and an additional $100.00 before the state will issue your license. That license is good for 1 year and must be renewed yearly, at a cost of $100.00 per year. Even though your license is good for a year and can be renewed every year (providing you have the necessary credits), you must also attend "Continuing Education" programs during the course of the year because every three years, the Pesticide Bureau will audit you and you'll have to show proof that you attended these classes. The proof will be in the form of credits, which you earn for every class that you take. For the basic "Applicator's License" which you'll need for at least the first two years before you can become "Certified", you will need to show 6 contact hours over a 3 year period. Your nearby Lesco/John Deere Landscapes location participates in a yearly "Winter Conference & Trade Show", where they put on a series of classes all in the same day, where you can earn up to 5 credits at one time, making it easy for you to obtain these necessary credits. Without these credits, your license cannot be renewed.

Check out the Massachusetts Pesticide Bureau's website above for all of your information and good luck!
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you smallaxe and hissing cobra, great info.