Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Honestly, the best thing to do is to work for another company for a while, once you have an applicator's license of course.....I highly suggest NOT taking smallaxes' advice....You simple cannot mimic or imitate another company's program! There are many factors and scouting that takes place before myself, and im sure many other companys, icluding TGCL choose certain fertilizers or products to use.....Also, this business is not easy. It's a science, learn it, practice it, and when you are good at it, you will then learn how to make money doing it. Just keep at it, and keep learning & reading.....Sorry for the burn smallaxe, nothing personal, but this " one size fits all" mentallity is simply not the way to go or preach about.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Scape View Post
Honestly, the best thing to do is to work for another company for a while, once you have an applicator's license of course.....I highly suggest NOT taking smallaxes' advice....You simple cannot mimic or imitate another company's program! There are many factors and scouting that takes place before myself, and im sure many other companys, icluding TGCL choose certain fertilizers or products to use.....Also, this business is not easy. It's a science, learn it, practice it, and when you are good at it, you will then learn how to make money doing it. Just keep at it, and keep learning & reading.....Sorry for the burn smallaxe, nothing personal, but this " one size fits all" mentallity is simply not the way to go or preach about.
............. Ditto
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Another Ditto

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-05-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply green scape. I do plan on taking a prep course and getting license, but I own a landscape Co. That would make it pretty difficult to work for someone else. I would like to get some experience with the apps before I start on a customers lawn, I'm just not sure how I can do that.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do what we all did --start on your mother's lawn. And be prepared to correct your mistakes. Pronto, LOL!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I was being sarcastic , even synical and I only condemn the "One Size Fits All" programming... Glad to see that others agree with that...
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbeast View Post
Thanks for the reply green scape. I do plan on taking a prep course and getting license, but I own a landscape Co. That would make it pretty difficult to work for someone else. I would like to get some experience with the apps before I start on a customers lawn, I'm just not sure how I can do that.
There's really nothing to it... Spot Spraying is the simplest... but learn the product and the timing of the app in question... If you're going to do blanket sprays/granules, do friends' and family's lawns for free...

I'm not really sure about your life cycles in NC, but I do know that the timing up here in cool season lawns we do a lot of dumping and redumping because our timing is all screwed up... that is why I was being sarcastic about TGCL... Everyone copies, but no one evidently knows why

Good luck...
Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The Wisco test is mostly about 'calibrating the sprayers or dusters' , very little about How chemicals work, how fertilizers works, why some times better than others, and other information necessary for wise applications...

Therefore, most people get their lawn information from the label on a Scott's bag... Written by salesmen... It is better to understand a little Botany and plant nutrition...

Then when you learn "How pesticides work", then you'll be able to put together a sensible plan and be able to figure out solutions to problems as they may arise...
Smallaxe, I really have to quetion your statement about labels being "Written by Salesmen". I have been in Meetings where the "Formulators, Chemical Engineers, Lab Rats" what ever you want to call them explained what goes into writing a label for a lawn product. Believe you me they are not "Salesmen"
They were very sharp "Chemists and Researchers" and the process was unbelieveable. I remember thinking how glad I was that Machinery Mfgs do not have to do all that.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Helpful information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
The first thing you'll need to do is contact the U-Mass bookstore to purchase your study materials. These study materials will prepare you for the actual test to get your "Applicator's License". You must have this license for two years before you can become a "Certified Applicator". These study materials can be purchased from their website at www.umassextensionbookstore.com

1. Core Manual (2ndEd.) w/ MA Core Supplement (2000) $44.00

2. Massachusetts Pesticide Control Act (1978, amended 2000) (Chapter 132B M.G.L.) - $6.00

3. Massachusetts Pesticide Regulations (1979, amended 2010) (333 CMR 1.00-14.00) - $9.00

Your total investment in the study materials will cost you $59.00 + 6.25% tax.

From there, you can study the materials yourself, take some courses or workshops through the Pesticide Bureau, or contact your local Lesco/John Deere Landscapes location to see if they're offering study classes at their location over the winter. Once you feel that you know the "in's & out's" of the study materials, you can then schedule your test. The Massachusetts Pesticide website is actually pretty good and everything you need to know will be right there - including the scheduling of your test, driving directions to the testing sites, dates for the tests, etc.... The website address is www.mass.gov/agr/pesticides

It will cost you $75.00 to schedule and take the test. If you pass the test, you will then need to submit proof of insurance and an additional $100.00 before the state will issue your license. That license is good for 1 year and must be renewed yearly, at a cost of $100.00 per year. Even though your license is good for a year and can be renewed every year (providing you have the necessary credits), you must also attend "Continuing Education" programs during the course of the year because every three years, the Pesticide Bureau will audit you and you'll have to show proof that you attended these classes. The proof will be in the form of credits, which you earn for every class that you take. For the basic "Applicator's License" which you'll need for at least the first two years before you can become "Certified", you will need to show 6 contact hours over a 3 year period. Your nearby Lesco/John Deere Landscapes location participates in a yearly "Winter Conference & Trade Show", where they put on a series of classes all in the same day, where you can earn up to 5 credits at one time, making it easy for you to obtain these necessary credits. Without these credits, your license cannot be renewed.

Check out the Massachusetts Pesticide Bureau's website above for all of your information and good luck!
Hissing Cobra,
Just wanted to give you props for the helpful information to someone coming to the forum for helpful information, instead of being "sarcastic or even synical" as another member was trying to be. For some reason, sarcastic or synical seems to always come across as obnoxious.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfcobob View Post
Smallaxe, I really have to quetion your statement about labels being "Written by Salesmen". I have been in Meetings where the "Formulators, Chemical Engineers, Lab Rats" what ever you want to call them explained what goes into writing a label for a lawn product. Believe you me they are not "Salesmen"
They were very sharp "Chemists and Researchers" and the process was unbelieveable. I remember thinking how glad I was that Machinery Mfgs do not have to do all that.
I respect what you are saying, but let's consider the 'meaning' of the label?...

http://www.ehow.com/list_7171608_5-s...lawn-care.html

Do the Chemists and Researchers say when the first of 5 steps should be done?
Is the first step best between Feb.-Apr.??
Do Chemists and Researchers decide that the label should reflect a "One Size Fits All" and produce a chemical soup that has no room for winterkill correction with overseeding, in the Spring?
Do very sharp "Chemists and Researchers", believe that the entire lawn needs to be blanketed with 2,4d etc. several times every season...?
Lawncare has more to do with growing grass and botany, than Killing seedlings and weeds all summer long...