Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Winter de-icer

I have doubled the size on my pond from about 1000 ish to about 2400 ish gallons and I'm now wondering about aeration and a pond heater.

I have a 200 watt circle heater that seemed adequate last year, but this year we have had a cold snap and the heater is just about frozen into the ice.
I can free it up easily, but I'm wondering about putting in a small aerator to help keep a hole clear.

I've got one already that I use if I need to take the fish out, for a day at the spa.....LOL

Will it help?
Should it be located in the same spot as the heater?
If I do place it in the pond, will it be of detrimental to the fish?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You just need a hole to let gas exchange to occur and help with some aeration. I just use the pond pump with a PVC pipe coming out of the skimmer shooting the water back into the pond. This keeps a hole in the ice and aerates the pond.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't indicate how thick the ice will normally get. The aerator may help, if it is of sufficient size. It will have no adverse effect on the fish.
It sounds as though your present Deicer may be too small for your now larger pond. You may want to consider going to the next larger size (750 watt).
Back to your present aerator--to be effective as a deicer on a pond your size, it should be rated no less than .8 CFM output.
You can put both units in the same spot if you can find a way to securely anchor the Deicer unit.

Keith's suggestion will also work providing the ice doesn't get very thick. In your location, I would suspect that winters can commonly get fairly brutal.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a [I]Thermo-Pond[I] Heater in my pond. It is only a 100 watt heater but is rated for up to 1000 gal ponds. I have a 1500 gal pond and it works great. You could purchase 2 if you thought one would not be enough. You will make up the difference in the cost of the heaters in electricity savings. In regard to your aerator you can run the air line down through the middle of the heater. Make sure to position the heat/heaters in the deepest part of the pond.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
You don't indicate how thick the ice will normally get. The aerator may help, if it is of sufficient size. It will have no adverse effect on the fish.
It sounds as though your present Deicer may be too small for your now larger pond. You may want to consider going to the next larger size (750 watt).
Back to your present aerator--to be effective as a deicer on a pond your size, it should be rated no less than .8 CFM output.
You can put both units in the same spot if you can find a way to securely anchor the Deicer unit.

Keith's suggestion will also work providing the ice doesn't get very thick. In your location, I would suspect that winters can commonly get fairly brutal.
The ice gets about 8" thick in the winter, right now it's about 2"....but we're have a warming trend over the next couple of days.

I have thought that going to a larger heater might be the best solution, but it costs over $125....
Old 12-19-2011, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthscapes View Post
In regard to your aerator you can run the air line down through the middle of the heater. Make sure to position the heat/heaters in the deepest part of the pond.
I was told it should go in the shallowest part....hmmm
Old 12-19-2011, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara Falls View Post
I was told it should go in the shallowest part....hmmm
Aerators and diffusers should be placed in the deepest part of a pond. I would place a heater in an area that is going to be deeper than the projected ice thickness.
I would invest in the larger size deicer, it is still cheaper than replacing the fish.
I just looked at your extended forecast; 14F Thursday night and below freezing the rest of the week. That may be a warming trend for you, but, here in Florida, it would be cause for near panic.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthscapes View Post
I use a [I]Thermo-Pond[I] Heater in my pond. It is only a 100 watt heater but is rated for up to 1000 gal ponds. I have a 1500 gal pond and it works great. You could purchase 2 if you thought one would not be enough. You will make up the difference in the cost of the heaters in electricity savings. In regard to your aerator you can run the air line down through the middle of the heater. Make sure to position the heat/heaters in the deepest part of the pond.
I've had one of those for years. The dome covering keeps the wind from overcooling the opening in the ice, so it needs less heat to operate.

What I've done, is float that over the deepest section. Then I placed an air stone at the bottom, directly under it, with the bubbles breaking the surface under the dome. In addition, I have the bubbler inside my house, so it's pumping warm air. The past two years, I haven't even had to plug in the thermo-pond until it got below 10F.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I happened to be in Kingston, city an hour away, on Monday and stopped into place called Pets Paradise, (they advertise to be a pond supply outlet in the yellow pages) in hopes of getting a larger heater. They had 2 one a 200 watt for $299 and another 700 watt for $399!!!!! Four hundred bucks....no way, I'll figure out something.
I told my wife that I'm not paying $400 to save her little fish...heh, heh, heh. I was hoping she'd cough up some $$$$, but no. All she said was "Let me look into it"

Then last night she tells me about one of her co-workers that raises horses and they need to have a way of keeping the ice out of the watering trough. She says they get their stuff from the TSC store and because we are vural theirs one in town.
So off I go this morning and talk to the guy behind the desk about my issue. He says follow me, and he leads me to the horse supply section and what does he have.....a 1500 watt floating pond heater, that he says all the horse people use to keep the troughs from becoming solid ice. How much........$59.95!!!

So I'm going to install it as soon as the ice melts, which will be tomorrow.

And I am guessing I should put it in a deeper area than I have it located now.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

boiled fish yummy..........