Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Which backup trimmer?

I was thinking to get another trimmer to use as a backup.
Here are my choices:
STIHL fs55r
or STIHL fs56r-ce.

I know that that the fs55r is not commercial but, I would just use it for 2-3 days if my fs90r were to break down
and also my helper would use it sometimes.

As for the STIHL fs56r-ce
I don't really know much about it.

BTW I am also considering other STIHL models
also, I am limited to STIHL, REDMAX and ECHO
because that's what my dealer sells. I can only get ECHO at my local Home Depot.

Thanks for all of your help!
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your backup should be the same as your reg trimmer. Same filters, plugs etc. Makes things alot easier.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a fs55 and fs90. The fs55 was the trimmer that I started out with. After building up the business some I upgraded to the fs90 and now use the fs55 as my backup. Sometimes I'll grab the fs55 to finish trimming at a lawn when the trimmer line on the fs90 breaks or runs out and what a difference! The fs90 has so much more power than the fs55. You'll hate using the fs55 after you've used the fs90. My advice would be that your fs90 be your backup and you buy a new fs90 to use as your main trimmer.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
Your backup should be the same as your reg trimmer. Same filters, plugs etc. Makes things alot easier.
This is very good advice. When your primary trimmer gets a little tired, it then becomes the backup. When both get tired, you switch parts around and keep at least 1 going.

I have a mismatch of a little of everything--I buy used good equipment, then keep it going. However, identical equipment solves a lot of problems.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. Never thought of that, only prob is that they are
400.95 with tax
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still open for suggestions
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 01-02-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX'S LANDSCAPING View Post
I'm still open for suggestions
Here's what I think you should do. Absolutely nothing. You seem way to eager to buy up a bunch of stuff that you really don't need at this time. Keep saving your money and spend it on stuff that you absolutely NEED to keep a business moving forward. Having a back up trimmer this early on is a waste. You'll eventually buy 1, 2, 5 more trimmers. No need to rush into anything. Why do you feel you "need" a back up trimmer? Does the FS90 give you trouble? I started with a 10 year old Echo 210 and finally bought a new trimmer (FS90R and I hate it) then saw that my dealer had a couple 210's left so I grab another. I now own 5 trimmers a PAS with like 6 attachments. Thing is, I had the money to buy them after a couple years in business. It sounds as though you're just getting started? If so, heed my advice and save first.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Here's what I think you should do. Absolutely nothing. You seem way to eager to buy up a bunch of stuff that you really don't need at this time. Keep saving your money and spend it on stuff that you absolutely NEED to keep a business moving forward. Having a back up trimmer this early on is a waste. You'll eventually buy 1, 2, 5 more trimmers. No need to rush into anything. Why do you feel you "need" a back up trimmer? Does the FS90 give you trouble? I started with a 10 year old Echo 210 and finally bought a new trimmer (FS90R and I hate it) then saw that my dealer had a couple 210's left so I grab another. I now own 5 trimmers a PAS with like 6 attachments. Thing is, I had the money to buy them after a couple years in business. It sounds as though you're just getting started? If so, heed my advice and save first.
That's exactly what my business partner always tells me!!!
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You only have 3 push mowers. They will only get you so far before you'll need a bigger mower. Just hold out and go with the flow. Wait until you gain more customers. You mentioned a business partner? Big red flag. You shouldn't go in on a venture like this with a partner. It never ends in a good note.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
You only have 3 push mowers. They will only get you so far before you'll need a bigger mower. Just hold out and go with the flow. Wait until you gain more customers. You mentioned a business partner? Big red flag. You shouldn't go in on a venture like this with a partner. It never ends in a good note.
Exactly right. Heed this advice!

It all sounds good sitting around drinking a couple beers (or whatever your drink of choice is) one night talking to your buddy- "Hey, let's go into business together mowing lawns. We can split the costs, and do double the work".

Sorry, but it rarely if ever works out that way once you get started. Loose the partner now, and possibly your friend too, or loose the partner later, and definately loose your friend in the process. Just the reality of it.

I know, I know it isn't like that with you guys though- right? It will be, just give it a little time. Listen to guys here who tell you not to have a partner. Many members here on LS that know from personal experience just how bad an idea it is.

Not sayin' you're a great guy and your partner is a turd. You both may be hard working good guys, but partnerships (especially in this business) rarely work.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 01-02-2012 at 09:34 PM.