Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Exactly right. Heed this advice!

It all sounds good sitting around drinking a couple beers (or whatever your drink of choice is) one night talking to your buddy- "Hey, let's go into business together mowing lawns. We can split the costs, and do double the work".

Sorry, but it rarely if ever works out that way once you get started. Loose the partner now, and possibly your friend too, or loose the partner later, and definately loose your friend in the process. Just the reality of it.

I know, I know it isn't like that with you guys though- right? It will be, just give it a little time. Listen to guys here who tell you not to have a partner. Many members here on LS that know from personal experience just how bad an idea it is.

Not sayin' you're a great guy and your partner is a turd. You both may be hard working good guys, but partnerships (especially in this business) rarely work.
One question:
How do I get rid of my business partner?
Cause I'm thinking to get rid of him then before the 2012 mowing season ????
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how tight you guys are, or what your situation is, but I would just talk to him, and expalin that in your off time, you've been researching this business, and what it takes to be successful, and that you feel it'd be best for both of you in the long run to part ways now, before either of you have too much time and/or money invested in it. Have him come on here and read for himself. There are a lot of threads on this subject if you start doing some searches.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who is your partner? Is he a friend, your brother, a person you just met? How much money does he have invested toward the business? Can you afford to buy him out if need be? I gotta ask, how old are you and your partner?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My partner is my Mother. She "sponsor my idea" and my Dad is always asking me to spend the money wisely. I was just listening to you and I thank you all for your advice. I know now what is all about having a partner, and I am glad you told me so much.
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX'S LANDSCAPING View Post
My partner is my Mother. She "sponsor my idea" and my Dad is always asking me to spend the money wisely. I was just listening to you and I thank you all for your advice. I know now what is all about having a partner, and I am glad you told me so much.
Well, that's quite a bit different from a true partneship.

Sounds like maybe that's one exception to the partnership rule, that is, as long as she's buying while you're flying. Once you can go it alone though, pay mom/dad back as much as you can (or they will take, since it shows great responsibilty and work ethic), and do it. Nothing better than taking the controls.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

OK. So you really don't have a partner per say but a investor. Just hold off buying anything else for now unless you absolutely need it to do a given job. Go out and try to stir up more customers in your area. Get a good list going then when it comes time to do the lawns, do them with pride and make sure you do them right. Once you start earning some money, start investing in a better mower. Believe me, those push mowers are only going to last a season or two before you'll need something better. Concentrate on making enough to buy a bigger mower. Don't worry about a back up trimmer. If you save enough money, say $600 and while your out working, the trimmer fails and leaves you without a trimmer, go out and buy one. Otherwise, save, save ,save.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=orangemower;4261886]OK. So you really don't have a partner per say but a investor. Just hold off buying anything else for now unless you absolutely need it to do a given job. Go out and try to stir up more customers in your area. Get a good list going then when it comes time to do the lawns, do them with pride and make sure you do them right. Once you start earning some money, start investing in a better mower. Believe me, those push mowers are only going to last a season or two before you'll need something better. Concentrate on making enough to buy a bigger mower. Don't worry about a back up trimmer. If you save enough money, say $600 and while your out working, the trimmer fails and leaves you without a trimmer, go out and buy one. Otherwise, save, save ,save.[/QUOTE/

That's a EXCELLENT point
(highlighted in bold)
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
This is very good advice. When your primary trimmer gets a little tired, it then becomes the backup. When both get tired, you switch parts around and keep at least 1 going.

I have a mismatch of a little of everything--I buy used good equipment, then keep it going. However, identical equipment solves a lot of problems.
I agree! I have 3 trimmers 1 I bought my redmax the other two where given to me one is and old Shin the other an old cub cadet. I will only buy another Redmax.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Buy your favorite new one and keep the current one as backup. Everybody's happy, you'll be happy to have a new toy, the old trimmer will be happy that it get to stay alive much longer!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Buy your favorite new one and keep the current one as backup. Everybody's happy, you'll be happy to have a new toy, the old trimmer will be happy that it get to stay alive much longer!!!
ROFL!!!!!! Alan
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....