Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone use Square Up Credit Card reader?

Hey everyone. I have been seeing the Square Up mobile credit card reader for iPhone more and more and I was wondering if anyone uses it? I have one friend who has it and used it once, it worked but he hasn't used it since so I need more feedback before I get it. They charge 2.75% per card swipe which is pretty low compared to others i.e. $35x2.75%=.96 which isn't bad for having it sent right into your back account plus the reader is free.

Basically I'm looking to see if anyone uses this or if they use anything else for on the go credit card readers.

Thanks in advance.

Rhode Island Landscapers Thread:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the card reader and app set up, but I haven't used it yet. The only reason I haven't is because I don't know the best way to log the payments in quickbooks. If I bill a customer $100 for the month, and they pay you with a card, only about $97 will go into your account. How do you account for the difference? It's probably an easy fix for someone who is better with qb than me, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Other than the qb issue I have, I think it will be a useful product. I am concerned though that some customers might not be comfortable having their card scanned by a cell phone.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use it works great, I charge the customer the fee for the swipe. Rate is low and you dont have to buy equipment or have a contract hanging over your head. Every lawn guy should have one. Land lines and regular cc machines are a thing of the past!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used it all of 2011. Being my first year i think I processed a little over $2k using square and everything went through without a problem.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeap, got it last year and used it once. Extremely easy and smooth to use. I look forward to using it a lot this year.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW i was not expecting all good reviews! This is great to here then thanks guys!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleC View Post
I use it works great, I charge the customer the fee for the swipe. Rate is low and you dont have to buy equipment or have a contract hanging over your head. Every lawn guy should have one. Land lines and regular cc machines are a thing of the past!
Im sure this is a very simple question but I'm going to ask it anyway, when you say you charge them for the fee, you mean if the bill was 100 you would then charge them 102.75?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleC View Post
Your not allowed to do that with most card companies. I know visa will nail you if someone reports it. In Florida and like 9 or 10 other states it's Illegal to add such surcharges. You can however give a cash or check discount . You can always setup a paypal account to I believe it's like 2.9% plus .30 <3000 gross monthly. It's good for those reoccurring payments.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
Your not allowed to do that with most card companies. I know visa will nail you if someone reports it. In Florida and like 9 or 10 other states it's Illegal to add such surcharges. You can however give a cash or check discount . You can always setup a paypal account to I believe it's like 2.9% plus .30 <3000 gross monthly. It's good for those reoccurring payments.
Good point. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I was planning on using a CC app this summer there are however a lot out there! Is this the best choice or is there another that you recommend? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
credit card , iphone , reader , square up , swipe