Register free!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Labor estimate on large properties

Bidding a property that has a 2.2 acre soccer field and school campus with 5.92 acres of turf.

Anyone care to give me a per 1000 or per acre labor range for applying with a ride on? I was thinking i woul need to be around $1.00-1.25 per 1000 to get it. Too low or too high?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good deal. Since your fert will probably cost you more than 1.25 per thousand, and you have not paid for your labor, overhead or the depreciation, gas and repairs on your ride-on.

What if you have to redo it due to green streaks? Or rain?

Schools are sometimes concerned about low toxicity. What if the kids get sick--or think they are sick? Special laws for schools around here.

Maybe you can make it up in volume.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Bidding a property that has a 2.2 acre soccer field and school campus with 5.92 acres of turf.

Anyone care to give me a per 1000 or per acre labor range for applying with a ride on? I was thinking i woul need to be around $1.00-1.25 per 1000 to get it. Too low or too high?
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you using a ride on? If so what kind?

I am not sure where your cost are but I can tell you where I would be.

When looking at larger areas you can not charge per K like you would on a small lawn. It is a totally different world but I personally think it one can profit more per day if doing all large properties.

The biggest advantages are of course you are not driving around, the wheels are spinning on the machine all day (which is the only time you are making money).

Again you must understand your true cost...but we are typically $130-140 per acre for 1 acre properties.

Once we get to 2 to 4 acre properties we are at $120-125 per acre

On commercial properties we will get down to $115. Keep in mind there properties would be over 15 acres.

It also depends on how open it is, how much handwork and blowing off etc.

Athletic fields are a breeze.

You will be able to do the 2 ac soccer field in about 35 minutes or less with a ride on.

PM me if you want any details.

We mainly do larger properties and I love them!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Rodney. I'm on a zspray max and your estimated time on the soccer field was right on.

I have all the chemical cost broken down per round and was trying to figure chemicals + time.

The soccer field is pretty straight forward. The other one is a little tight with quite a few sidewalks to blow off. Just a handful of guys who I think could handle the job and thy all may not be bidding. This job is mowing also.

I'm normally around 185 an acre. I was just trying to decide how low I need to go to make it worth it

Thanks for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Thanks Rodney. I'm on a zspray max and your estimated time on the soccer field was right on.

I have all the chemical cost broken down per round and was trying to figure chemicals + time.

The soccer field is pretty straight forward. The other one is a little tight with quite a few sidewalks to blow off. Just a handful of guys who I think could handle the job and thy all may not be bidding. This job is mowing also.

I'm normally around 185 an acre. I was just trying to decide how low I need to go to make it worth it

Thanks for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just sent you a PM back.

There is also another way to look at this.

If you do get this property and yes you would be working on a slimmer margin BUT this will put your trucks out for a lot of people to see.

As long as you are making some good money on the deal...look at it as advertising.

I am telling you...especially with a Z Max you want big properties.

They can be very profitable.

Instead of doing 12-15 small lawns and driving go do 20-25 acres.

Do the math and see where you will make more jack!

Good luck!