Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TomberLawn 2009 rig

I picked up the Ferris today after trying to sell it at a local dealer since October. It's still listed online at tractorhouse.com and the dealer said he'd send somebody my way if they came in looking for a mower like it. I'm starting to think I might want to keep it as a backup mower to the Woods and for smaller residential yards where 61" and a large frame mower are a little bit difficult to handle. Since all the mowers, the trailer wheels and tires, and the truck were clean, I snapped a couple pictures. I might post a couple more pics over the next few days. Also attached is a nice picture from a leaf cleanup I did in January.

Pictured on the trailer are:
2007 Ferris IS1500Z 48" 21hp
2008 Woods Mow'N'Machine MZ3361G
2007 Cub Cadet TimeCutter 33"
Attached Images

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rig looks good. Looks like you left alot of debris behind though on the yards?

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak View Post
Rig looks good. Looks like you left alot of debris behind though on the yards?
The front yard is bordered by woods on one side, so I blew what I could, then mulched the whole yard to chop up what little bit was left (and see how the new Woods striped the fescue I put down in the fall). The back yard was a little harder. The bottom of the hill has been a troublesome area for the homeowner (hard to get grass to grow without washing out). The homeowner was fine with mulching. I'll probably bag it next time, but I hadn't modified the Woods mower to use my bagger at that time. The bagger was actually still for sale with the Ferris, but I decided to keep it and make it fit the Woods.

That last pic does look a little rough, but it looked better in person. My camera is cheap, so pictures don't turn out realistically. That was a really steep hill! It's hard to believe the homeowner mows that with a JD 2210 tractor. I'm hoping that I can take over the mowing, too. I basically do everything except mowing for this property. I even trim every couple of weeks.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 02-13-2009, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great! Lets see some pics of the truck your pulling it all with!

Why no trimmer racks? Just havnt gotten around or dont want them?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would just double mulch it or triple mulch it instead of bagging it; especially if the customer is cool with mulching vs bagging. You got some nice equipment & Dodge truck, That Woods ZTR has some meats on it too.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, EagleGrounds! The truck is a 1999 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel. It's got a couple simple modifications--35-70hp chip, 4in flow-through muffler (with a 4" 90 degree elbow dumping right in front of the axle--really stealthy looking), and K&N filter. Turned 113k miles today. Here's a link to the thread with more truck pictures. Notice in the 4th picture of that thread, there is no visible exhaust tip.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=260950

The trailer does have racks on the other side. You can see them in the 2nd picture. I just didn't have any trimmers in the racks in these photos. I like having them off the trailer floor and out of the truck bed.

nosparkplugs, thanks. That's just a big mower. When I put the Ferris back on the trailer at the dealer, it looked so small compared to what I had gotten used to with the Woods on there.

The front yard was double mulched. I wanted to get the front looking really good and make a diamond stripe. Here's a pic from the other direction. This is with a mulching plate, Gator blades, and no stripe kit on the Woods.
Attached Images

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gators & the John Deere 7-Iron decks have always produced a manicured cut, and mulched leafs & grass clippings well for me. Yet they get such mixed reviews?The BB came with fusion extended cuts, and the lift is absolutely ridiculous with the fusion blades, and the diesel power. It looks like I am riding under the deck after about 25 yards of mowing. The Gators have less lift, and seem to be a happy medium, but don't have that extended cutting edge like the Fusions.

What does the Woods have in it? I'm thinking you said Generac. Personally I like the Woods ZTR's over the Ferris, but I am old school, and like the ridged framed ZTR's. Woods is more bang for the buck too right?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, sir, it's a 33hp Generac. 992cc big block. That thing has gobs of torque. I thought the Ferris was pretty powerful when I was running it, and it is, but the Woods has a lot more horsepower per inch of cut. The Woods has .54hp per inch and the Ferris has .44hp per inch (33/61 and 21/48). That's a pretty big difference. Even going 3.5mph faster than the Ferris, the Woods never bogs down in heavy grass. It's only lugged twice, and that was mulching leaves about a foot deep, making compost out of them.

What do you mean by "It looks like I am riding under the deck after about 25 yards of mowing"? Does it create so much lift that grass gets stuck to the deck and you're constantly cleaning it out?

That reminds me of the grandfather's JD145 mower I serviced yesterday. It had enough grass stuck under the deck to halfway fill a wheelbarrow. Then my dad's JD345 had zero buildup under it. They're both stamped decks, but something sure is different.

I'd say the Woods probably is more money for the mower. Both mowers were bought at dealer cost, so I really can't say what I paid for them (dealers would get mad), but there was only $1400 difference in dealer cost between the two. I'd say 12hp, 13 inches of cut, bigger tires, bigger frame, and a suspension seat are well worth $1400 cost difference. On the retail level, the price difference is probably about $2000.

For a retail price comparison of similar size machines, the dealer advertised my Woods on sale for $8350. I've seen a Ferris 3100 61" 32hp Vangaurd advertised at $10,500. Or, for about the same money as the Woods, Ferris advertises a 61" 28hp IS1500Z small frame mower at $7999. Going $350 more for the Woods gets you 5 more hp, bigger tires, and a heavier duty frame.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

quick question, my ramp on my trailer is quite heavy and i've been toying with the idea of getting those gate helper springs, are they realy worth the money?
6ft Aluminum Truck Craft Dump Insert
20x8 Atlas Enclosed Trailer
14x 6.5 Tandem Open Landscaping Trailer
1 2011 Walker 23/48
1 36" Scag Belt Drive Fixed Deck walkbehind
2 21" Toro Super Recylers
1 Blue Bird Lawn Dethatcher
1 Classen 30" core aerator
1 Sthil FS 90R (love the 4-mix)
1 Sthil KM 90R with trimmer, edger, poll pruner and tiller
1 Stihl HS 45
1 Stihl BR429