Register free!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Mike, you may have lucked out. It looks like the Orlando area did not get as cold as western and the interior south. And obviously not as cold as north central. But you never know. Cold pockets can be found anywhere, just depends on, well, the weather Apopka ag station did record a 27F and was below freezing for 8hours. But I think much of the Orlando area was 31-36F.

Remember last year when it froze in early January how quick the SA started coming out? Time will tell.
Looks like I might have gotten somewhat lucky - looks like mid 30's tonight so it sounds positive. I will be back Saturday to see how things worked out.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

some much for the green grass..........

woke up to 27 this morning..........i covered alot of things and changed alot of my landscape out this year to stop the problem with freeze and plants...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I left the house at 7am it was 24deg. It didn't drop as much as I thought it would. At 7pm last night it was already 30deg. My Bahia is nice and brown tonight when I came home. Started a new 87 acre HOA account today. It was cold out there. Great account there is no hand work in the summer just mowing about 25 acres and blowing off the streets. Winter time is just cleanup common and wooded areas. Good account and it's EOW all year.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my green bermuda grass in now headed to brown, my lantana, which was covered got toasted, my royal palm fronds turning brown, they came back and were looking good too from last years frost and cold temps. Its kinda brown in my area, went down to 25 degrees here too, and another freeze warning tonight, already 39 degrees with a dew point of 33 degrees at 8:45pm
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

38 here @ 9:00 pm, dead calm tonight, what a change a few days makes.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just walked out this morning (Thur.) It's 30 deg and very heavy frost everywhere. If yards weren't toast yesterday they will be now. I'm sure a burn ban will be coming soon. Good news this weekend will be back in the 70's.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is mild compared to last year...we added "lawn painting" to our services last year and did surprisingly well with it....even so, we hope it stays green on its own this year.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

A question for all you floridians. What do you think about opening up a lawn care business in SW Florida. I am tossing around the idea if I could sell my business up north.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
this is mild compared to last year...we added "lawn painting" to our services last year and did surprisingly well with it....even so, we hope it stays green on its own this year.
Do you need anything special license to apply lawn paint. Last year the villages were getting a lot of that done. Somebody was making a killing. The snow birds want green grass. Next year we are are adding mulch coloring as an option. Did one job last year. It looked good, clients were happy, and we made money!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwimaintenance View Post
A question for all you floridians. What do you think about opening up a lawn care business in SW Florida. I am tossing around the idea if I could sell my business up north.
So many mower in the truck type guys in residential. Lots of competition in commercial with the bids getting lower and lower. Personally I don't like the cold. But, contacted mowing, fall leaf clean ups , and snow removal. I would assume you could do pretty good up north.