Register free!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwimaintenance View Post
A question for all you floridians. What do you think about opening up a lawn care business in SW Florida. I am tossing around the idea if I could sell my business up north.
nwi

The present Economy in Florida is very poor. Established Companies are holding their own and in fact my business is actually growing. However New start ups are dead before they start. Unless you can buy into a going company or buy Income producing accounts I wouldn't suggest relocating to S W Florida.

However If you want to pay your dues and make it big down the road. Come to Florida and be a wage slave for a Pesticide Company for 3 or more years to get a Pesticide Certification. Better yet would be a big company where you could get both Pesticide and Irrigation Qualifications for Licensing at the same time. Those licenses make you a SKILLED TECHNICAN.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
nwi

The present Economy in Florida is very poor. Established Companies are holding their own and in fact my business is actually growing. However New start ups are dead before they start. Unless you can buy into a going company or buy Income producing accounts I wouldn't suggest relocating to S W Florida.

However If you want to pay your dues and make it big down the road. Come to Florida and be a wage slave for a Pesticide Company for 3 or more years to get a Pesticide Certification. Better yet would be a big company where you could get both Pesticide and Irrigation Qualifications for Licensing at the same time. Those licenses make you a SKILLED TECHNICAN.
Very good advice! With out a license your just a turd! A big fat stinky lawn turd!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Per an old Army Drill Sgt friend... TURD = Trainee Undergoing Rigorous Duties
Old 01-06-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice. Even with all the negatives I would still be down there if my business were to sell.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Definition by Adler

"We should not be astonished if in the cases where we see an inferiority [feeling] complex we find a superiority complex more or less hidden. On the other hand, if we inquire into a superiority complex and study its continuity, we can always find a more or less hidden inferiority [feeling] complex."

"If a person is a show-off it is only because he feels inferior, because he does not feel strong enough to compete with others on the useful side of life. That is why he stays on the useless side. He is not in harmony with society. It seems to be a trait of human nature that when individuals - both children and adults - feel weak, they want to solve the problems of life in such a way as to obtain personal superiority without any admixture of social interest. A superiority complex is a second phase. It is a compensation for the inferiority [feeling] complex."

"The superiority complex is one of the ways which a person with an inferiority [feeling] complex may use as a method of escape from his difficulties. He assumes that he is superior when he is not, and this false success compensates him for the state of inferiority which he cannot bear. The normal person does not have a superiority complex, he does not even have a sense of superiority. He has the striving to be superior in the sense that we all have ambition to be successful; but so long as this striving is expressed in work it does not lead to false valuations, which are at the root of mental disease."
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I find it quite amuzing that some on here ask how bad it is a few return a reply of how bad it is around their area. Yet non of you give a location of where you live?
Your upper right hand siganature might say south florida or central but that is still vague.
Last time I checked florida has 4-5 differenent climate zones and water pretty much on both sides of us which greatly affects the outcome of a freeze status.
Because we got to 27* around the outer subs of Tampa yet no damage and 2 blocks down freeze damage all over the place.
On the other hand I did cover everything and all of my so called Miami tropicals look great. I even have a Red Sealing Wax Palm that dies at 50* is doing great.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just north of the Broward County line, right off the beach but West of the intercoastal.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn painting requires no special licensing...it does however take some practice to get it right and to make money with it....it isnt for everyone as it is expensive...as for starting a new lco in florida all i can say is good luck ...it will be extremely hard at the moment but not impossible....educate yourself first before you dive in and it will be easier...florida is COMPLETLY different from the rest of the USA....especially when it comes to this type of business...forget EVERYTHING you know from the north and start learning all over.....
Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
I find it quite amuzing that some on here ask how bad it is a few return a reply of how bad it is around their area. Yet non of you give a location of where you live?
Your upper right hand siganature might say south florida or central but that is still vague.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm smack in the middle of Florida's Bible Belt.

J/K..... Marion Co, the incredibly beautiful southern part between the Ocala National forest, the Florida Greenway, and The Villages.

OT: Thanks mods for removing unnecessary attacks and general nastiness.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
Last time I checked florida has 4-5 differenent climate zones and water pretty much on both sides of us which greatly affects the outcome of a freeze status.
Because we got to 27* around the outer subs of Tampa yet no damage and 2 blocks down freeze damage all over the place.
On the other hand I did cover everything and all of my so called Miami tropicals look great. I even have a Red Sealing Wax Palm that dies at 50* is doing great.
Good point, of course when you Google Tampa you get over 50 Zip Codes and it would appear that parts of Tampa are in 9A while others are in 10B. Just sayin.