Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm hoping to keep that trusty little trailer too! Having 3 trailers is a lot to keep around though, so we'll see. My Tacoma won't be able to haul the bigger trailer because there's no brake controller or 7 pin connection and it can't take the weight. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Did you paint the trailer blue or did it come like that ?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

get the biggest trailer u can afford, not want...id say an 18ft trailer is perfect size, i cant fit my 60in exmark, 61in scag, n 48in walk behind on my 16ft trailer..the 48in has to go in the bed of the truck while the riders r one the trailer n not only does loading n unloading it in n out of the bed get old its also a safty hazard!, two years ago i was unloading the walk behind n the bord slipt out n the mower traped me in between the ttrailer n mower, luckaly i had 2 other guys with me n they were able to lift it high enough for me to get up, but the mower chiped the bone in my leg n i had to get 15 stiches....all im saying is get a trailer big enough to keep u SAFE!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Did you paint the trailer blue or did it come like that ?
It came blue, to match the 2004 Cummins that we had, I did repaint it not too long ago though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPZ Enterprises View Post
get the biggest trailer u can afford, not want...id say an 18ft trailer is perfect size, i cant fit my 60in exmark, 61in scag, n 48in walk behind on my 16ft trailer..the 48in has to go in the bed of the truck while the riders r one the trailer n not only does loading n unloading it in n out of the bed get old its also a safty hazard!, two years ago i was unloading the walk behind n the bord slipt out n the mower traped me in between the ttrailer n mower, luckaly i had 2 other guys with me n they were able to lift it high enough for me to get up, but the mower chiped the bone in my leg n i had to get 15 stiches....all im saying is get a trailer big enough to keep u SAFE!
I agree with you, I've just been having trouble finding what I want in an open trailer, this one I found is a pretty good deal so if it doesn't work out, I'd be up to getting something larger. I'm going to give it a shot first, I will be doing maintenance by myself for a while so I will only be taking the Scag and the walkbehind for most of the days. The Lazer will be used for larger commercial jobs, and our big resi's.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh man, things are really picking up here! I got a new maintenance account today, as well as the spring clean up and a small landscape job at the same place. The roller and trailer gate I had welded up, so I'm ready to start aerating and rolling and starting the clean ups.

Looking into the trailers still, going to the dealer in the next little while to check out what they have, so that will be figured out. Lots to do, I feel super busy! I have another overseed, fert, clean up that I got today also.

This is my first year going full time at everything, so I'm excited!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What was your advertising methods to landing those accounts? I sent out 4 decent sized maintenance bids today via email to my clients and I'm going nuts waiting for them to respond.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the maintenance account was from personal friends who are quite up in years and can't handle it themselves anymore, they heard I was going full time and asked if I would like to do it. Other than that, I made up some flyers and rwent door to door and got some rolling and aerating work, as well as business cards I've been handing out to people.

The overseed, fert job was also from someone else in my church, a fair amount of work comes from people that I know personally actually. I do the maintenance at my church so they see the work there and are interested. The work I get from personal friends is often landscape or renovation work, not maintenance.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah sounds like you have a good start for the year. I landed 2 of the 4 bids so far, one was comprehensive maintenance for their entire property and the other Is Fert/weed control and that acct is also about to pull the trigger on a $6,000 patio which (if the weather stays good) we will begin this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice! Thats awesome, what do you mean by comprehensive maintenance?

Whats the patio like?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Non-stop problems today getting everything out of the shop! The Ramrod battery was sparking until I cleaned up and tightened the terminals really tight, its fine. The Lazer I dropped the battery into and it worked without issue. The Scag battery I put in the obvious way, but when I dropped the seat back down and turned it over, it sparked I think because the bottom of the seat hit the positive terminal.

Now I switched the battery around and hooked it up, and it doesn't hit anymore. Now it won't turn over, it just clicks somewhere once and then does nothing. I burned through the rubber deflector on the positive side and the rest of the positive terminal looks a little but burnt.

So I'm not sure what to do now, suggestions?