Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He bought an Acura EL for now, looking into Cummins and D-max's.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not bad. Cant wait to see what truck he gets next.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah he just needs something cheap to drive around, because the truck is pretty expensive to maintain and to drive. He cancelled most of the landscape jobs he scheduled for the summer, because he has too much work at his full-time job, and no truck either. We'll see if he gets another truck or not, he'd like one eventually.

Brutally flipping hot here today! I did 4 large accounts by myself and some of my house and quit for the day.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a new (to me) toy last night. An Exmark Viking, 36" Trivantage deck, mulch plate, set up for a sulky but don't have one. 15hp Kawisaki motor, has about 30 hours on it! The Red Hawk wasn't too comfortable to use, although it worked fine for the time we've had it. It maybe only has 70 hours on it. This is much nicer with ECS controls and now we have a back up walk behind to use in case the Scag every goes out. We can get away with using the Lazer if the Scag goes down, but some places have gates that are like 50" or whatever so at least if a rider won't fit we can have to wb's.

Now we have some dependable, low hour equipment for every job. If we had the work we could run two mowing crews, but I don't want to take the company that direction right now.

Exmark Lazer- 379 hours
Scag Tiger Cat- 211 hours
Exmark Viking- 30 hours
Red Hawk Hydro- 70
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice buy! The exmarks look good together.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I took the Dodge in Wednesday to have the dings and everything taken out, and the paint fixed up to trade and on Friday I learned that if you leave the tailgate down, the jack on the enclosed will hit it when you turn, so that sucked.

Got some new attachments for the Husky's. And my Dad got out to SIMA in Buffalo at the beginning of the week so he got me the last snow plow shovel on special for 35 bucks.

And I went out atving with my buddy up by his new house so I gotta few shots of that just for fun. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some recent goings-on, been brutally hot. How is everyone doing with that?

Touched up the paint on the Viking, and cleaned up the truck and trailer for next week. Some random shots of moving some toys around too with my truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like you did a real good job touching up the paint on the Viking man.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you sir, its been nice to have some time to clean equipment up a little, to keep a clean image. With the weather being so hot, its good to have some time for easy work.

I've been getting to see what kind of clients are going to be an issue now that I've been full time for awhile. There are one or two who want something for nothing, and it is very apparent that they are not the kind of customer that I, or any other LCO, would want. I've had some confrontation with a customer which was a learning experience.

Good customers are hard to find, so I've been working hard to keep the good ones happy, and more than satisfied with my work. Doing a little extra work, even if it costs you money will make you money in the end. Good customers don't always need to be charged for every little thing, I charged well enough initially that little extra work here and there doesn't hurt my profit.

I've also learned to keep constant notation of each account to show dates of what has been done, and what needs to be done, or mentioned to the homeowner. That way we can mention or quote them for something, whether they want it done or not, it shows that I care about the overall appearance of their home or business.

Another challenge so far has been keeping on top of equipment and vehicle maintenance, it can be constantly pushed back every week if you don't keep on it.

Just a few things from my learning curve of being full time so far!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Today was 5 wonderful hours of thick trimming. Two trimmers, the Husky w/ string and a Red Max with a blade that the customer let me borrow.

The customer loves when I trim the overgrown stuff on their property, it does make a huge different. The first set are city property across the street that is never kept up. I told them to send the bill to the city to see if they'll reimburse them for part of it. Another customer we have, we cut city property for them and they cut a cheque monthly from the city to help pay.
Attached Images