Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Better business phone?
iPhone 68 67.33%
Droid 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
You seemingly want control so badly - that you're continually forcing your customers (& friends?) to wait..........................on you??? (yawn)

Catering to your clients (to a degree) allows them to feel special...and is an excellent foundation for customer service.

BTW, I'm having a lot of fun with this 'exchange' of ideas(??)!!
Keep on keeping on!! Best to you in '12!!
where's the waiting?

if you call me and want a mowing estimate and leave a message and you can't wait for me to call you back by all means call someone else. i've had plenty of calls where when i call back there response is "you didn't call back sooner so i found someone else". my response is always well "i'm sorry but i am out working during the day".

i've never missed business through not replying to an email soon enough. generally i find if someone wants something right away they call. if they can wait they send an email or text message.

i don't expect anyone to wait on me. you don't get the answer you want from me when you want it, find it somewhere else.

no control is desired. it's not a control issue. if you want to attach an issue attach an independent issue to it. i prefer to do what i want, when i want.

heres another exchange of ideas for ya......

most in this business are looking to make as much money as they possibly can in the least amount of time, building up there business to the point where they don't have to physically do the work and some day retire.

with that idea of course your gonna want to jump on as many calls and emails as possible to get as much business as possible.

i'm in this business so i can offer and only actually do the services i enjoy doing. for me it's more about having a career i enjoy. if i don't like to do something or don't want to do it, i don't. every service i offer in my business is one i am willing to do and enjoy doing. nothing is offered to stay competitive or make me more money. i hate doing landscaping. so i don't offer it. i don't like pulling weeds, again i don't offer it. my goal is to have a happy career that covers the expenses in life until the day i die.

so i'm fine slowly growing my business. i'm fine missing out on business just because i didn't call someone back soon enough. to me this isn't an emergency industry. if you can't wait a couple hours to a day for a phone call back or email back, forget you.

i see both sides of it. i've experienced both sides of it. i have a friend in the business who drops whatever he is doing to take a business phone call. he can be at dinner with his family, he could be in church on sunday. it doesn't matter. he wants to grow and make money so bad he will answer his phone at any our of any day of the week. but i'm not that hard up for money. my number one goal in my business is that i'm happy after that comes making money.

i'm a solo business so i actually have to do the work myself. it's not like i drive around all day giving estimates and taking phone calls and emails. i'm not gonna stop a mower to answer a call. i'm not gonna put down a trimmer to reply to an email. and rarely am i gonna sit in the truck after a finished job or before a job to be started and return phone calls and emails. all those things extend the time i'm actually out in the field. i personally prefer to make and return all phone calls and emails once all physical work is completed and i can actually sit down at a table or desk with a pen and paper.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
generally i find if someone wants something right away they call.
...and you won't return their call until that evening, right?

Hey yg, I'm right there with you as far as being solo and intending to mow until my last breath. I love my work...and just like you, I don't do the kinds of work I don't desire to do. Like I tell my customers, I draw the line at being on my knees!

My contention with this "smartphone thread" is not about necessity, but IS about learning to use the tools we already have...like a smartphone. There are several really good ideas & ways to make these devices work smart for us...making us more efficient.

It seems like wasted effort on your part to defend your god-given right to not use your own tools...the ones you've alread paid for.

Or, rather, I'm wasting my time in this war of words & exchange of ideas.

So, I'm considering giving up my intention to get the last word in!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
what does your phone have to do with running your business other than just receiving calls and texts?
Where I operate I have a lot of snowbirds who hire me for maintenance in the summer and I like to deliver before and after pics because they seem to like it and being able to send them right from the phone is handy.

I have an expense tracking app, gps, task timer that outputs to a spreadsheet, a pedometer, analytics for my website(not really necessary) Audible for audiobooks, spotify for music, doubletwist player for podcasts, a calendar for the days scheduled stops, email for if I get a quote request that way and I have it set up so that I get a notification when someone requests a quote on my website.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Smartphones are all about effiency and if you are growing your business on a daily basis as I am ( I don't have one) I can see the advantage of having one ( which is why I want one just can't make up my mind which one) Even without one I can pretty much do everything I need to with my regular cell, short of checking e mail. I guess when I see clouds in the sky I kinda figure it's gonna rain soon so I don't really need to look at radar for that LOL. I do answer all calls because it is probably that next customer and these days people will NOT WAIT like it or not it is the nature of the beast. I don't like to wait either so I'm just as guilty. My goal is to return your call as guickly as possible if I'm not able to catch the call, again the nature of the beast. I love the feeling when someone says WOW! that was quick, you have the job! I hear it all the time.