Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: Better business phone?
iPhone 68 67.33%
Droid 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is a thread about 'better business phones'.
And, it has evolved into how we use them to make our daily lives easier and more productive.

You seem to be arguing a point-of-view that having a smartphone or extolling its benefits is not worthwhile...
You don't want or need new/potential customers, and if they were to call you and not leave a voicemail then they are not the kind of customer you would want anyway.

I used to think a backpack blower was overkill compared to my handheld...until I owned one. It pays for itself EVERY year because I use it. The same goes for my iPhone. But IFF I didn't own one, I'd have never known how useful it has become.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Very good point Valk. Didn't think that this question would have evolved into this. Pretty much everyone is arguing because it's their opinion and always have to be right.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I say a good post will make me think and/or make me laugh...and it's all good.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
This is a thread about 'better business phones'.
And, it has evolved into how we use them to make our daily lives easier and more productive.

You seem to be arguing a point-of-view that having a smartphone or extolling its benefits is not worthwhile...
You don't want or need new/potential customers, and if they were to call you and not leave a voicemail then they are not the kind of customer you would want anyway.

I used to think a backpack blower was overkill compared to my handheld...until I owned one. It pays for itself EVERY year because I use it. The same goes for my iPhone. But IFF I didn't own one, I'd have never known how useful it has become.
first off i never have voted in this thread because its hard for me to say which one is a better business phone when i don't see the use of a smart phone in general as a necessity in this business.

and thats where the arguement on my end anyway started. i made a post about how it's not a necessity and people started going off. oh well you NEED to pay bills, invoice, check email, make phone calls, check the weather, bla, bla, bla......

i have an iphone. but not because of my business. when i get an email from a client i generally will read it before i move on to the next job. but as far as replying, that waits until i get home for the evening. i have a weather app on it but i rarely use it while i'm working. i just keep working until the weather won't let me anymore. i'm not gonna stop working at 2pm just because the forecast says it's gonna start raining by 2pm. pay my bills. thats a definite do on my own time away from work thing.

yes i am nearing full compacity with my lawn schedule. so no i don't jump on every single phone call i get. if by the time i call someone back they've found someone else then so be it. i've also quit advertising so the calls will slow down.

my whole point we can funtion without these smart phones. most of what we do with them are things that can wait until we are in the office.

people have come to expect immediate attention because some where a long the line someone gave it to them. people expect a phone back right away because some where a long the line someone called them back right away.

if none of this immediate attention ever started people wouldn't expect things immediately. they'd call, leave a message and be fine waiting for a call back.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i disagree with what people say about getting off topic. how you use a phone for your business has alot to do with what phone would be better for your business. it's all related. why can't people understand that? if not then everyone should have just posted a one word answer.

iphone or droid

that would make for a boring thread.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Very true as well jasons. But everyone saying its not a necessitty. I agree but the fact is phone service providers (Verizon, AT&T) are all pushing smart phones and there isn't much of an option NOT to get one or else you wont have a phone. If you go to their websites, there are no basic phones anymore.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had bpth iphone and android over the years. Being a guy that comes from an IT background, I prefer the Android.

Why?
Because it's more open to developers than Iphone and you find more free stuff on the market because of it.

Sure you could jail break the Iphone I guess, been there done that too. However, I still prefer the Android.

When Android first came out, it's market was a little dead compared to Apples ITunes, but its caught right up over the past year or so and it might have even surpassed it. For the most part any major software vendor that you would use for an iPhone more than likely has Android support and vice versa.

I'm not saying that Iphone is a bad phone, because it's not. It's just that Android supports more hardware manufacturers and has the potential for a broader user base.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

went from the blackberry to the droid a few days ago. like the droid alot
Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
Very true as well jasons. But everyone saying its not a necessitty. I agree but the fact is phone service providers (Verizon, AT&T) are all pushing smart phones and there isn't much of an option NOT to get one or else you wont have a phone. If you go to their websites, there are no basic phones anymore.
but that doesn't mean you HAVE to use those smart phone features to run your business.

as i said, i have an iphone. before that i had a blackberry. i rarely use the feature offer for my business.

sure i have my work email set up to come through on my iphone, sure i have weather apps. but i rarely use those through out the day for business purposes.

i check my weather apps more in the evening and on the weekends when not working than anything. and when getting a work email i might read it during the day but more often than not i wait until i get home from work to respond to it.

i could just as easily run my business with a regular cell phone or no cell phone at all.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Other than trying to get the last word in......you have contributed to this smartphone thread how...??? By telling us you don't take advantage of your smartphone's multitude of benefits?

Dude, you cut grass, so you're good in my book. I sincerely hope you love your occupation as much as I do.

PS - I WILL get the last word.......................in.
~ Josh Billings