Register free!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How bad was it?

Hard freeze here last night, in the low to mid 20's. We'll be back in the 20's again tonight.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bottomed out right around 30F. There will be areas with 5 miles that were probably mid-20's though. I expect some torn up tender plants.

I wouldn't expect it to go below 35F tonight since this is the third night the cold front. Frost will likely be heavy though.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Global cooling struck here as well. Driving around and already seeing wilted leaves on some of the plants, frost on the ground when I got up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't gone out yet but just looking around my property it reminds me of this famous Gary Larson cartoon....

Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am out of state currently. Can you guys give me a idea of how bad it was? Is it like the last couple of years where the top of the SA has browned out? Severe damage on the more tender shrubs?

Thanks in advance,

Michael
P.S - I am up north and have been here for a since the weekend. I was getting rather depressed looking at the lack of any color other than brown in the landscapes....was kind of looking forward to seeing our green landscapes again.....so let me know if you would not mind because I am hoping I will not be looking at more brown.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Below freezing by 10:00 pm last night, 25 degrees @ 6:30 am . Don't think as much damage as last year but significant and it's only the beginning of Jan.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Below freezing by 10:00 pm last night, 25 degrees @ 6:30 am . Don't think as much damage as last year but significant and it's only the beginning of Jan.
Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see what plants did this year. Last year plants did not make it through that made it through last year, poor little guys having all these years of freeze in a row has to be very very hard and confusing to some of them.

Thanks again for the prompt update Z ! I am heading out to a nice 30 degree day while the sun is shining full blast up here...the nights are brutal...not sure how the heck I lived up here all those years without losing my mind.....you simply do not do anything outside for very long up here this time of year.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mike, complete damage will take time to asses. I can tell you that around here tender stuff and, obviously, tropicals took a bite last night and our local forecast calls for more freezing tonight.

Looks like we are clear after that for a while tho.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Low of 47 down south here, pulling out long johns & jacket then heading to the beach to watch the snowbirds pretend they're not freezing their butts off.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mike, you may have lucked out. It looks like the Orlando area did not get as cold as western and the interior south. And obviously not as cold as north central. But you never know. Cold pockets can be found anywhere, just depends on, well, the weather Apopka ag station did record a 27F and was below freezing for 8hours. But I think much of the Orlando area was 31-36F.

Remember last year when it froze in early January how quick the SA started coming out? Time will tell.