Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How accurately?

How accurately could you mass produce several batches of compost tea, consistently repeat the process and then package and sell it in the liquid form? How are these other companies doing it or at least claiming that they are? I'm sure the measuring of beneficial bacteria has to fall inside of a very large window of standards (meaning there could be a lot or very little but they will package and send out regardless). Why are there no statistical standards in regard to organic fertilization manufacturing? Beneficial micros?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The truth is you can't put Compost Tea, or ACT in a bottle. It's a living organism that needs oxygen to survive. Once the oxygen is used up, the ACT will go anaerobic and the beneficial organisms will die off. LCE is like ACT, but you add food for the microbes that you would in ACT. Basically you use more compost and higher water pressure to strip the microbes off the compost. I've seen this material have a shelf life of 5 days, but some claim up to 2 weeks. LCE won't have the diversity of ACT.

Most products that I've seen claim to be compost teain a jug are extracts (not LCE) of bacteria and mychorhizal spores. They usually put humic acid, seaweed or EM in as well and slap a label on. Are they decent products? Probably. Are they ACT? No.