Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401als View Post
I caught the poop statement, I actually saw a person in a truck lettered doggie doo, and they charged people just to pick up dog poop. so im woundering if they can make a business out of it. Does anyone actually do this in their landscape co?
I do not offer it, but I have a guy I refer my clients to when I see they have a dog.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM View Post
You can't all ways think the $60 an hour you will price yourself out of alot of jobs. Sure when your on a 60'' zero turn cutting an acre you can get that but if you base your prices on $60 an hour and try to cut that acre with a push mower hows that going to work. You have to figure what mower would be the best for that lawn and how long should it take some lawns you can only put a push mower thru the gates so price it with your hourly rate some you can use a 48'' walk behind so price your hourly rate. I charge basically $45 an hour for most but if its a big lawn and I'm out on my zero turn I think you can get $60.
My guess is that wouldn't work out to good!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My advice is to figure out what your true costs of doing business and then set your pricing accordingly. If someone tells you to bid $60/hour, how do you know your cost of doing business isn't greater or less than the next guy? You don't! Wouldn't it be nice if your costs were indeed less than the next guy and you could charge less in order to land more jobs? If you take someone else's word for charging $60/hour, you'll never know.

This thread is titled "How to bid commercial accounts for real", but it applies to everything in the landscaping field. Read the thread, then read it again. It will truly help.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=341624

Doug
Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
My advice is to figure out what your true costs of doing business and then set your pricing accordingly. If someone tells you to bid $60/hour, how do you know your cost of doing business isn't greater or less than the next guy? You don't! Wouldn't it be nice if your costs were indeed less than the next guy and you could charge less in order to land more jobs? If you take someone else's word for charging $60/hour, you'll never know.

This thread is titled "How to bid commercial accounts for real", but it applies to everything in the landscaping field. Read the thread, then read it again. It will truly help.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=341624

Doug
Great thread will a lot of good knowledge and information! Thanks.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassLife View Post
I'm in my second year too. I still have customers that that I underbid last year, but they were my first customers and I just keep spoiling them. I was bidding scarred, afraid I might not get the business, and I'm still guilty of that at times, but RGM is right, 45.00/hr seems to work out well unless you peek around back and see swing sets, bird baths, rock gardens, sand boxes, and a lot of dog poop. Then go 60.00.
Good advice, keep in mind that someone has to pay for the down time between jobs, so if you do a job for $30.00 and you are there 30 minutes and it takes you 15 minutes to get to the next $30. job your hourly rate has shrunk to $40.00 and hour if you use the $45 and hour rate, it has shrunk to $36.00. The important part is to know what you are making, and does it work for you!
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys are right; there are way to many things to consider with regards to sitting an hourly rate.

I'm still not sure how the "drive time" works out. If may last customer is 15 minutes away from the next, is the time passed to that guy? I'm not sure how that would work out. My 60.00 mow becomes 75.00 (just for the sake of discussion). I have been looking at drive time as something that has to be minimized to the max, and my work route is carefully planned and modified so as to make it as efficient as possible, but I have never really charged for it. If two exact yards are 60.00, does one get charged more if the drive time from the last customer was longer than the other?
I may be over thinking this but I'm weird like that.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassLife View Post
You guys are right; there are way to many things to consider with regards to sitting an hourly rate.

I'm still not sure how the "drive time" works out. If may last customer is 15 minutes away from the next, is the time passed to that guy? I'm not sure how that would work out. My 60.00 mow becomes 75.00 (just for the sake of discussion). I have been looking at drive time as something that has to be minimized to the max, and my work route is carefully planned and modified so as to make it as efficient as possible, but I have never really charged for it. If two exact yards are 60.00, does one get charged more if the drive time from the last customer was longer than the other?
I may be over thinking this but I'm weird like that.
I brought the drive time up to show the importants of know what you are and are not making. If you figure your rate at $60.00 and hour you actually have to spend 10 hours cutting grass to make $600.00 - so unless you have a string of customers on the same street that could represent a very long day. So, it becomes very important to carefully organize your daily work.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Using an hourly rate for lawns greatly reduces your potential income per hour and will have a huge impact on what you make per year.
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I first started out, I would mentally compare prospective lawns to ones that I already had and knew how long they took and whether I felt I had bid them right. Unfortunately it's partly trial and error at first, and the detail work is what will usually get you time wise. I recommend you set a minimum as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Using an hourly rate for lawns greatly reduces your potential income per hour and will have a huge impact on what you make per year.
Absolutely, my two favorite customers are side by side, cut, whack and blow $80 in 50 minutes. Anthing I do after that, say trim bushes is all based on by hourly rather with a 1/2 minimum (two bushes 15 minutes = 1/2 hr.) So I am there for 65 minutes and its $110.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker