Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo SRM 230 - Motor housing and shaft wobble

I picked up a SRM 230 at a yard sale on the cheap. I used it and it ran great for 20 minutes until it seized. Couldn't pull the recoil rope at all. Using the forum here I was able to loosen the piston and put everything back together and it looks like it'll start now. But before I start it again, I want to try and fix everything I can so I can avoid it seizing again.

I noticed that what I'm going to call the "motor housing" and the shaft have a fair bit of wobble/play. The ones at the store are strong like bull but mine bends a bit if you push on the "motor housing". Maybe the shaft being able to move away from the motor while running contributed to the failure earlier.

Can I just remove more plastic, find some handy screws and tighten them or will this take more than that?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably the rubber in the housing is oil soaked /worn out.
Punch your numbers in at the Echo site and check out the parts diagrams.

......AMF!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

None of this makes much sense........you ran it for 20 minutes and then it seized. Well that usually only happens when you run a unit wihout oil in the gas. Or the bearings in the motor are wore out. There are two main bearings on the crank and two on the piston. Usually the roller bearing under the piston wears out and the main bearing behind the flywheel. We need pictures of some of the stuff you describe.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

BigFish, I checked the rubber and it does look worn, after looking at the diagram it looks like that rubber seal is causing the movement. Thanks.

Hi Ed, I used some mixed gas I had 40:1 instead of 50:1 like it should have been. I soaked the piston with penetrating oil then was able to turn the flywheel. Now that I know the wobble that concerned me is a seal and not a motor thing I fired it up and it runs. When I tested it before I was cutting some thick woody stuff. I must have started/stopped 5 or so times to change line. The guy said it sat unused for a long time, I figured it could have had build up junk in it then with my constant starting and stopping it seized. I also cleaned the muffler and did the tune up kit. If it seizes again I'll look into the bearings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by blanchy; 01-10-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanchy View Post
BigFish, I checked the rubber and it does look worn, after looking at the diagram it looks like that rubber seal is causing the movement. Thanks.

Hi Ed, I used some mixed gas I had 40:1 instead of 50:1 like it should have been. I soaked the piston with penetrating oil then was able to turn the flywheel. Now that I know the wobble that concerned me is a seal and not a motor thing I fired it up and it runs. When I tested it before I was cutting some thick woody stuff. I must have started/stopped 5 or so times to change line. The guy said it sat unused for a long time, I figured it could have had build up junk in it then with my constant starting and stopping it seized. I also cleaned the muffler and did the tune up kit. If it seizes again I'll look into the bearings.
Posted via Mobile Device
That seizing is not going away....the rings are probably froze in place on the piston. If so they need to be replace and the groves cleaned out. I don't know if that is bearing ...but if you pull the head you can check. I guess when you said you cleaned the muffler you meant the screen? Be sure the output side ports are clean also