Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Firewood

I am thinking on making some extra money on selling firewood but i could not find any information on Google so i came to this website. I am thinking on starting the firewood selling business at home. I have a couple of questions.
1. Where can i get wood from
2. What equipment do i need
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do not sell firewood, but if I were you I would contact local tree companies and see how they dispose of it. If they do not make firewood with then ask if they would be willing to give it to you or sell it to you. Once you get the wood you can either split the wood by hand with an ax or a hydraulic log splitter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tree companies, thinning projects, paying for the wood.

For equipment you will need a good chain saw and a good wood splitter, along with a means of of hauling the wood and delivery of firewood. Or you can have your customers load on site.

It usually amounts to a decent way of generating cash flow, it might not turn a huge profit.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a lot of work for how much money you get for it. The real money is in bundles, not cords.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMulch View Post
I am thinking on making some extra money on selling firewood but i could not find any information on Google so i came to this website. I am thinking on starting the firewood selling business at home. I have a couple of questions.
1. Where can i get wood from
2. What equipment do i need

Not sure about the exact methods in your area, but here in Texas the best ways of gathering and selling wood comes from various sources. As far as where you can get the wood from:
1. Keep your eyes open when you're driving around and look for a patch of land being bulldozed. The folks clearing the land will usually either burn the huge tree pile in order to keep from having to rent the equipment to load the tree's into a rented dumpster, and having the dumpster picked up and disposed of. The clearing company will usually have their number posted on the property, simply take down the number, call them, ask if you can make a one day loading trip, and hope they agree. There are some companies who simply would rather burn the pile due to liability insurance of you crawling around the pile and getting hurt, but occasionally the person you speak to will give you the green light.
2. Look in your local yellow pages, Google search, or whatever directory that you use, to find any small sawmills, bandsaw millers, tree cutting services within 30 miles of your locations. Ask if they have any slabs, trash cuts, or unwanted timber that you could take off their hands for them.
3. Ask any friends or family that have hunting leases, small acreages in the country, etc. Make a weekend trip up to these places and fall a few tree's that need to be removed in order to thin the tree's canopy.

As far as what you will need, that depends on what your budget / garage holds. Starting out from scratch you will need a basic package of the following equipment:
Chainsaw
Steel chains
Trailer
Axe
Splitting Maul
With this simple set up that you can probably borrow piecemeal from family, you are only looking at spending money on travel time gasoline for your vehicle, oil-gas mix for the chainsaw, and a LOT of physical labor in order to trim the limbs, cut the tree's into 16" - 24" pieces to later be split, haul the pieces onto your trailer, then unload the wood, split the wood into 3's or 4's, and finally stack the firewood for drying. You need to think of how you plan on selling this firewood. Will you sell these as 1/2 cords (4' pallet stacked 4' high), package stacks (30 pieces for $10), or the "fill your truck bed for $xx" method?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I dont have a lot of money to spend i am just trying to make some extra cash while i am going to college. How long would i have to store the wood and does it have to be in a garage or can i be stored outside.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How long you need to store (season) the wood depends on the type of wood somewhat, but in order to sell it as seasoned you need to season it AT LEAST 6 months and that would be under ideal conditions...sunny spot and through the summer. Opinions will vary, but I season my wood outdoors with the butt ends to the sun, totally uncovered. It's probably better to put a roof of some sort on the top of the pile...a piece of scrap plywood will do.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Firewood is simple if you have space... Buying a 10 cord bundle of slabwood and bucking it up is probably your best option... be sure it's hardwood and Oak is always the premium...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMulch View Post
I dont have a lot of money to spend i am just trying to make some extra cash while i am going to college. How long would i have to store the wood and does it have to be in a garage or can i be stored outside.
See you are in CT - I think that after this winter there are a lot of guys with wood that they did not sell, and if this weather continues, they will not sell it. So, in my mind the price of wood will be in the toilet next year.

If you had money I would say a good year to buy a lot, bundle it as Daryl suggested and sit on it - but since you don't have the money stay away.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know some one that jumped into this big time were talking $400,000 worth first season. Course then infighting in the company tore it apart but it was interesting what a salesmen/lawyer could do as apposed to one of us. He had sales like 18 18 wheeler loads to Christmas tree stores. They did the bundles which sells for closer to 500 a cord instead of the 200-250 and no they did not season the wood that takes to long. They had a kiln instead and used the waste wood to dry the fire wood. And it does in a couple hours what it would take a year to do sitting out side.

I have considered this but reached the conclusion that these is no real money in this on the smaller scale. After expenses your looking at 100 a cord income if that now say you managed to do 100 cords that's only $10,000 hardly worth the effort. And that takes up a lot of space now if you were a tree guy and not a landscaper this is a great combo you get paid for the logs you remove. But as a landscaper your more likely going to be paying 50 dollars a cords for green logs and then waiting for it to season.