Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heres the deal with firewood. It's not worth it unless you are a tree service, that way your making your money at both ends. One customer pays you to remove the trees and another pay you to get rid of the wood. There is a TON of labor involved in splitting a cord of firewood that you maybe able to sell for around $200. There is also a TON of labor loading, delivering and stacking the firewood that you have sold. So like I said if you have tree service then by all means go for it, if not then you might wanna think about it a little harder. Like others have said, you would make more $$ by selling stacks rather than cords........and contrary to what the dillweeds on Craigslist think is a "cord" of firewood, a cord is 3 stacks of 16" pieces that is 4' wide by 4' tall and 8' long. NO MORE NO LESS.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I stack my wood in my dump trailer for delivery so that I'm sure it's a cord and so is the customer. I only sell a few cords a year...bascially I generate more than I can burn just in the course of maintaining my rear acreage. I have a lot of downed wood out back now...I'm still cleaning up from Hurricane Irene.

I agree that firewood prices are likely to be low next year, but there are people selling Hurriace Irene wood right now as "seasoned"....I think they must just sprinkle some salt and pepper on it, because there's no way it's seasoned now unless it was kiln dried.

There are also a lot of guys who claim to be delievering a cord of wood when it's a standard pickup bed without side boards....no way you can fit a full cord in a pickup bed without tall boards, and it would be a hell of a load for the truck at that (about 2 tons for hardwood).
Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I stack my wood in my dump trailer for delivery so that I'm sure it's a cord and so is the customer. I only sell a few cords a year...bascially I generate more than I can burn just in the course of maintaining my rear acreage. I have a lot of downed wood out back now...I'm still cleaning up from Hurricane Irene.

I agree that firewood prices are likely to be low next year, but there are people selling Hurriace Irene wood right now as "seasoned"....I think they must just sprinkle some salt and pepper on it, because there's no way it's seasoned now unless it was kiln dried.

There are also a lot of guys who claim to be delievering a cord of wood when it's a standard pickup bed without side boards....no way you can fit a full cord in a pickup bed without tall boards, and it would be a hell of a load for the truck at that (about 2 tons for hardwood).
If its Cayenne pepper it could make a difference.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-11-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We sell firewood during the fall and winter. As for the wood I have a friend in tree service and he drops off trees occasionally. Also I have a farm with an old tree row that we are thinning out and get wood from it. We advertise as "mixed" firewood and have fairly good luck selling it. Did initially cost to get started as we had to get a splitter and a commercial chainsaw. We don't make a ton of money but it pays me while thinning out trees on my own place.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we use green and dry wood in our woodstove. we use the dry wood to start fires and then put green on there. the dry wood gets the fire hot but the green wood takes longer to burn so you don't have to use as much to keep the fire going.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

WRONG

From the University of CT Cooperative Extension System:

BURN SEASONED WOOD: Burning freshly cut “green” wood will make you unhappy and can be dangerous. Up to half the weight of green wood is water, which must be heated to steam and driven off before the wood can reach temperatures required for combustion. The result is a fire that is hard to start, hard to keep going and provides far less usable heat for the home.

Burning green wood is also more likely to result in a creosote problem. Creosote forms when temperatures drop too low in the stovepipe or chimney, and unburned but volatile gases in the smoke condense on those surfaces. Dense smoke from a smoldering fire, caused by too little air in the firebox and/or burning green wood, results in the greatest creosote buildup. Once enough creosote has accumulated, a hot fire can cause it to ignite, creating a dangerous chimney fire.

Seasoned wood is defined by law as having been “cut and air dried for at least six months.”

http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/forest..._new_final.pdf
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

it takes money to make money... if you dont mind sitting on your money after you lay it out then firewood is perfect for you. firewood + snow = busier than summer.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice little pile there...would make one hell of a bonfire
Old 01-12-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah i sometimes get scared that if a fire broke out this would be a nice pile to fuel it... this is a summer picture... ill take a look to see if i can find one from the fall with that whole area filled and piled 30ft tall. We sell alot of wood. i love it
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bird.....do you have issues with resi's complaining about debris in the wood when you dump it in their driveway? Seems folks are always complaining about something! A guy around here has a similar pile to yours, and sells quite a bit to restaurants(brick ovens).