Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLI View Post
Bird.....do you have issues with resi's complaining about debris in the wood when you dump it in their driveway? Seems folks are always complaining about something! A guy around here has a similar pile to yours, and sells quite a bit to restaurants(brick ovens).
that is never really too much of a problem. there is a separator grate before the conveyor that sorts alot of the crap out. Also i load the wood with a payloader with a 2.5 yard bucket. as long as you stay a foot or so off the ground you dont get any debris. i then have a few guys hand through the wood that lays on the ground every few days or so up into the pile to keep everything neat.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also have thought about this question. I had a couple nice trees down on my customers property last winter. I cut it into 16 inch lengths and split it and left it for the summer. This november I actually sold 4 face cords or "stacks" for $125 delivered. I also stacked them for the customer. So I used my spring cleanups to make $500 this fall. The only costs was the labor to split it.

I have all of the necessary tools to split on a small scale (by hand with axes and wedges YEAH BUDDY!) and I decided to get into it. Irene dropped a bunch of trees for us and now I have 2.5 full cords split since there has been no snow this winter. I am thinking about it as a way to keep my salary people busy in the winter or if there is inefficiency I can send someone to split wood while I do something. To be honest I enjoy it as a workout also. I don't burn it and am selling it more expensive than normal, but to my customers it is convenient to not have to track it down.

In a larger scale I have been offered $125 delivered for full cords of green wood, but these people never pan out. I am thinking about getting 5 full cords seasoned and targeting people wanting really dry seasoned wood and no bs from a scammer. So they pay more, but get a full face stacked where they want. They also get professionalism and courtesy. The best part is they can get a fall cleanup and a couple face cords at the same time and I have to drive there once. On this small scale I am happy.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

you have to touch the wood 4 to 5 times before you sell it. Make bundles go to stores hustle them ask whet they pay tell em you could cut that price if they buy x amount of bundles. It all breaks down to who the slickest talking firewood salesman.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbrafford View Post
you have to touch the wood 4 to 5 times before you sell it. Make bundles go to stores hustle them ask whet they pay tell em you could cut that price if they buy x amount of bundles. It all breaks down to who the slickest talking firewood salesman.
you definitely make more money breaking the wood down, but you can not possibly move the same amount of wood compared to bulk. We offer bundles and pallets also. To make money you need to work...
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my second year doing firewood large scale and its a real nice winter savings account. I got hooked up with a few local tree companys that drop off log truck logs at my yard. I have a friend that lets me use some of his 10 acres in exchange for as much wood as he needs. I sold 100 cords last year and 156 this year. I already have around 150 split for next year. As for equiptment we are using a timberwolf tw-5 splitter and 25ft conveyor, and jd 110 backhoe. it took me and my partner 10 days to cut and split all of it. We have it figured that its costing us between 40-50 a cord to cut and split. If you do the math selling it for 225 thats a nice profit going into winter. If your willing to lay down some money to get started and do alot of the work yourself there is money to be made but your not going to make any doing less than 50 a year or splitting by hand. JMO.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupman96 View Post
This is my second year doing firewood large scale and its a real nice winter savings account. I got hooked up with a few local tree companys that drop off log truck logs at my yard. I have a friend that lets me use some of his 10 acres in exchange for as much wood as he needs. I sold 100 cords last year and 156 this year. I already have around 150 split for next year. As for equiptment we are using a timberwolf tw-5 splitter and 25ft conveyor, and jd 110 backhoe. it took me and my partner 10 days to cut and split all of it. We have it figured that its costing us between 40-50 a cord to cut and split. If you do the math selling it for 225 thats a nice profit going into winter. If your willing to lay down some money to get started and do alot of the work yourself there is money to be made but your not going to make any doing less than 50 a year or splitting by hand. JMO.
The forty to fifty includes buying it off the tree companies I guess, as well as cutting splitting.. I too am thinking of this kind of set up for next yr. I like some down time in the winter but i have to many mouths to feed and i like working. Your take on it is its hard work but the money is there for it. Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking after its off the splitter stacking on skids. One face cord per skid. moving it with a skid steer to dry. shrink wrap when seasoned load on to landscape trailer with skid steer. then deliver. Unload it using one of those hand pallet trucks down the ramp of trailer. My thinking is you dont have to man handle the wood to many times. Also I dont own a dump of any kind. Stacked on the skids also keeps it off the ground.

Ill take any critism on this idea, good bad or otherwise.

There seems to be demand for good quality wood. I have four kids and they could help and make a little coin and learn about commerce. Plus a little quality time would be nice too. I think 100 cord is doable

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The pallets are are a great idea. Using a handcart off a set of ramps might not be the best idea. with that sort of weight I can see bad things happening once you start down the ramps.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Points View Post
I was thinking after its off the splitter stacking on skids. One face cord per skid. moving it with a skid steer to dry. shrink wrap when seasoned load on to landscape trailer with skid steer. then deliver. Unload it using one of those hand pallet trucks down the ramp of trailer. My thinking is you dont have to man handle the wood to many times. Also I dont own a dump of any kind. Stacked on the skids also keeps it off the ground.

Ill take any critism on this idea, good bad or otherwise.

There seems to be demand for good quality wood. I have four kids and they could help and make a little coin and learn about commerce. Plus a little quality time would be nice too. I think 100 cord is doable

Thanks
Pallet trucks are for smooth level surfaces only. What happens when someone wants the wood delivered to their back yard (quite common). Also not sure how well you're going to be able to stack it on skids without any sort of sides on them...I'd think that could be a frustrating experience.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

shrink wrap the skids a couple of times, you know its like the saran wrap your mom used to wrap ur sandwiches in as a kid. this stuff is just a bit stronger. sometimes I get sod deliverded and they might wrap it from falling apart. alot of people that have wood deliverd its just dumped in the drive then they move it from there so this is the same. I will stack it in backyard for extra, no problem.

Its just an idea, thanks for comments. I really want to do this, I know its not huge money but i think its worth while. quality wood = quality customers=profit