Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thinking of starting to do sealcoating?

So im thinking of getting into sealcoating and i have a few questions.

1.) What size tank to start out with, just planning on doing res customers?

2.) What type of agitator? I see some tanks have rakes or a squeegee!

3.) How do i go about finding a local sealcoat dealer?

4.) Is a hot tar crack sealer a must?

5.) And who makes the most dependable rigs, i don't want to have to buy things twice?

6.) Whats the best products to use to get up oil and gas stains?

After 13 years in the lawncare & landscaping biz im tired of being asked if i seal driveways so i going to make an investment in the proper equipment to do the job right! Also tired of people around here saying sealing is a waste of money when they continue to keep doing it, i tell them the people that are doing it are doing something wrong, the sealer should not come off in 1 year or less, and correct me if im wrong it should also not turn your driveway into and ice skating ring! Thank you in advance for any and all info and or suggestions you may have!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

So im thinking of getting into sealcoating and i have a few questions.

1.) What size tank to start out with, just planning on doing res customers?
you will need 325 to 500 gallon tank

2.) What type of agitator? I see some tanks have rakes or a squeegee!
you don't want manual agitator

3.) How do i go about finding a local sealcoat dealer?
Check the internet and the major companys

4.) Is a hot tar crack sealer a must?
No. I don't use it on residential driveways, sealer will not stick to hot crack fill

5.) And who makes the most dependable rigs, i don't want to have to buy things twice?
Seal-rite, Sealmaster, Nelson, Equipt

6.) Whats the best products to use to get up oil and gas stains?
Talk to your distributor, they will have something for you

After 13 years in the lawncare & landscaping biz im tired of being asked if i seal driveways so i going to make an investment in the proper equipment to do the job right! Also tired of people around here saying sealing is a waste of money when they continue to keep doing it, i tell them the people that are doing it are doing something wrong, the sealer should not come off in 1 year or less, and correct me if im wrong it should also not turn your driveway into and ice skating ring! Thank you in advance for any and all info and or suggestions you may have!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are in the landscape business, why not align yourself with a good sealcoater. You can work together where you bid and sell your jobs and pay him to do them. Lanscaping and sealcoating seasons busy times run together, so unless you have extra manpower its not a real good fit together. If you can make 6-12% off each job with little to no expense its a win win. Just my opinion, but I do have a few landscapers that refer me for work.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrzes View Post
If you are in the landscape business, why not align yourself with a good sealcoater. You can work together where you bid and sell your jobs and pay him to do them. Lanscaping and sealcoating seasons busy times run together, so unless you have extra manpower its not a real good fit together. If you can make 6-12% off each job with little to no expense its a win win. Just my opinion, but I do have a few landscapers that refer me for work.

This is very good advice. Which is exatly the way we operate. Unfortunately, now after many years, he wants to sell and get out. (Actually a full time cop). Then the problem begins again with finding someone else, reliable, efficient, effective, professional, trustworthy and all that other good stuff all over again!!
Just remember even though you may not be doing the work, your referral is still going to go a long way.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
This is very good advice. Which is exatly the way we operate. Unfortunately, now after many years, he wants to sell and get out. (Actually a full time cop). Then the problem begins again with finding someone else, reliable, efficient, effective, professional, trustworthy and all that other good stuff all over again!!
Just remember even though you may not be doing the work, your referral is still going to go a long way.
Sorry to hear that. Too bad your not a little bit closer to me. I am looking at expanding over the next 3 years. Just a bit out of my area. Does your guy have a helper?? If so that would be a good person to speak with!! Maybe then it would be worth you buy him out and put his helper out there!!! You have enough of a knowledge of the bus. at this point to put a crew out there.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing sealcoating and landscaping since 1994. The two together have opened many doors for me. If you have the capital to do it I would you all ready have a customer base, start selling now. After a close call with a line striper this past season I bought a used machine last week with all the stencils, just so I can back myself up.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys!! I agree with you sealcutter, i am in a great position to get started given my excisting customer list, and i absolutely never pass on an oportunity to make more money! I am having a hard time locating a place the sells the sealcoat, what kind of stores would carry the stuff in 55 gallon drums. Are they usually specialty stores? Might have to order online and have shipped if i can't find a local dealer!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Call sealmaster and see if they have a location near you . Or get yourself a 10,000 gallon tank have it delivered .
Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post

Im about 24 miles away from Jackson...