Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 PM
appalachianoutdoors appalachianoutdoors is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 328
Update on Magna Matic 9000

Have used the MM 9000 on about 8-10 sets of blades now. Seems to be a well built machine and I like having the stand with the balancer on it also. So far, I have found that I prefer to use my side grinder on my used blades first to take off the major part of the blade and then use the MM to put the final touches on the blades and balance it. Most of my blades had 100+ hours on them and needed touch up work that was just faster with a 10,000 rpm side grinder. Will keep some updates as I put more time on it if it doesn't sell soon.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-28-2012, 05:25 PM
electric electric is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jamesport> NY
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
Have used the MM 9000 on about 8-10 sets of blades now. Seems to be a well built machine and I like having the stand with the balancer on it also. So far, I have found that I prefer to use my side grinder on my used blades first to take off the major part of the blade and then use the MM to put the final touches on the blades and balance it. Most of my blades had 100+ hours on them and needed touch up work that was just faster with a 10,000 rpm side grinder. Will keep some updates as I put more time on it if it doesn't sell soon.


What type blades do you sharpen. They say this 9000 that I too have is for "straight blades only" walker mower blades have a slight curve up at the end up cut but blade is still straight. The owner of magna-mattic never chimed back in? He proably seen my post and is waiting for time to lapse so then I'm stuck with a 9000 and will end up needing the 8000. Real nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Turf Dawg's Avatar
Turf Dawg Turf Dawg is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Texas
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
What type blades do you sharpen. They say this 9000 that I too have is for "straight blades only" walker mower blades have a slight curve up at the end up cut but blade is still straight. The owner of magna-mattic never chimed back in? He proably seen my post and is waiting for time to lapse so then I'm stuck with a 9000 and will end up needing the 8000. Real nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you go back and read your first post nothing showed up for anybody to read and your next post did not ask any questions.

The Walker blades or considered straight blades unless you have the new style 42" mulching deck and those use the wavy mulching blades. If I remember right I think they say the 8000 is easier for the left handed blades but the 9000 works OK.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
electric electric is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jamesport> NY
Posts: 173
Turf Dog,
Your the man!! Thank you for clearing that up for me!! I am now hopefully that my 9000 will work! I run 48 & 52 ghs decks also 56 sd. Did you ever sell your walker, keep seeing people talking about it? My post to magna-mattic went into his post somehow if you go back and compare his posts. Thanks again buddy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
appalachianoutdoors appalachianoutdoors is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric View Post
What type blades do you sharpen. They say this 9000 that I too have is for "straight blades only" walker mower blades have a slight curve up at the end up cut but blade is still straight. The owner of magna-mattic never chimed back in? He proably seen my post and is waiting for time to lapse so then I'm stuck with a 9000 and will end up needing the 8000. Real nice.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have 90% straight blades and "gator blades". I have usually avoided the high lift or mulching blades due to the extra effort it takes to sharpen them. I was well aware that the 9000 was designed for straight blade sharpening. I am only interested in the 8000 due to interest from other lawn service providers that have shown interest in me sharpening blades for them, and some of them do have either the high lift or mulching blades. As for the owner of Magna Matic... if you have read any of his post in the last couple of years, I am sure that you will change your opinion of him. He seems to make every effort to educate, and accomodate his customers, including a 30 day 100% guarantee, just mail it back, no need to wait for a reply from the company. The return policy is clearly stated on the MM website.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-28-2012, 10:36 PM
electric electric is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jamesport> NY
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
I have 90% straight blades and "gator blades". I have usually avoided the high lift or mulching blades due to the extra effort it takes to sharpen them. I was well aware that the 9000 was designed for straight blade sharpening. I am only interested in the 8000 due to interest from other lawn service providers that have shown interest in me sharpening blades for them, and some of them do have either the high lift or mulching blades. As for the owner of Magna Matic... if you have read any of his post in the last couple of years, I am sure that you will change your opinion of him. He seems to make every effort to educate, and accomodate his customers, including a 30 day 100% guarantee, just mail it back, no need to wait for a reply from the company. The return policy is clearly stated on the MM website.

Thank you for also educating me on the 8000 and 9000 sharpeners as well! I defenetly was not bashing the owner of MM at all nor did I mean to come off like I was. Just wish I had spent the few bucks more and gone with the 8000 knowing all this with curved blades. I hope I'm ok being that the walker mower blades are what I guess are considered flat? Turf Dog did mention that in earlier posts. The problem is even know my 9000 is still in the box, I'm over the 30 days return policy even if I wanted the 8000.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM
appalachianoutdoors appalachianoutdoors is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 328
Electric, i understand your dilemma now. Hopefully, something can be worked out if it was a factory direct purchase. If it was through a dealer, your options may be more limited. My suggestions, if feasible for you do to so, buy the 8000 factory direct before Jan. 31st and get the 10% discount, and try to resell the 9000 in the spring when more people have some revenue flowing, and the price of the 9000 will no longer be discounted and you may get closer to full price for yours. Good luck whichever route you take.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Dylan's Lawn Care Dylan's Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 117
Question for the OP

Kinda off topic but i wanna get the the 8000 before the sale is over and have a question. When you bought the 9000 did it come with a grinding wheel and would you recommend getting the extended worktable? I don't wanna order it then have to pay more shipping to get a wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 PM
electric electric is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jamesport> NY
Posts: 173
The my 9000 came with the stone. I'm not sure what your referring to on the extended work table. Make me an offer mine is still in the box. I want the 8000 because I was not aware that it only does straight blades. I e-mailed the company hopefully they will take it back?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
appalachianoutdoors appalachianoutdoors is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan's Lawn Care View Post
Kinda off topic but i wanna get the the 8000 before the sale is over and have a question. When you bought the 9000 did it come with a grinding wheel and would you recommend getting the extended worktable? I don't wanna order it then have to pay more shipping to get a wheel.
The 9000 did come with a grinding wheel and yes I would recommend the extended work table. I would also recommend get the svc lot with the stand and balancer. You are working at a comfortable height and have the balancer right there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Page generated in 0.10977 seconds with 7 queries