Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Please help a youngling with his new landscaping business

Hi guys!

I'm 17 and I've been doing routine landscaping work since I got my drivers license. I have a trailer, blower, trimmer, and a bunch of hand tools.
So far, I've done leaf removal, gutter cleaning, planting, weeding, and brush removal.

I'm working in Massachusetts. I've gotten a DBA with my town. Do you know what other licenses and permits I will need and how much that will cost?

I've been having clients pay with checks to me afterface to face conversation. Could you please suggest a template I could use for invoices?

Lastly, I'm thinking about hiring friends to work with me as employees on some of the projects. Will I need to get workman's comp for them even if they're only working for me just 8-16 hours every 1-2 months? If so how much will that cost? Since they'll primarily be doing yardwork with me, is it OK to classify them as domestic workers (gardeners) hired by my client if clients are OK with that?

I appreciate your help. Thank you for your time.
-Brill
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

In Arkansas, you arent required to have anything. I got a DNA when I started and insurance once I got going, insurance for $1 million in coverage ran me right around $1000. You can find it cheaper and have less coverage but I had a 'friend' who sold insurance and did do my research. As far as licenses, unless you are spraying insecticides or herbicides even roundup. Hiring friends has turned out poorly for me anyway, they don't tend to work very hard at all except 1 of the 13 I went through last year that is. In Arkansas workers comp is not required until you has 3 full time employees or you contract out your work, then you have to have a special kind of workers comp
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get quickbooks, it will really help you out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. Is it OK to classify day labor as domestic workers if I'm only working on households and I have client permission?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont classify my helpers as anything, they have all been friends up to this point and I write them a check from my business account at the end I the day just because I only use them maybe 2 times per month and with the check, I can deduct it from my taxes at the end of the year. This may. Of he the legal wy to handle this particular situation you are in but it's how I do it and it has worked for me so far, maybe try a search and see about how to classify your laborers or something to that effect.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

In MA we have to have workman's comp for all employees. However, domestic workers working less than 16 hours a week don't need workman's comp. I don't know how we can afford it because I still have school and sports and work on average 8 hours a week. I don't think we have the cashflow for me to directly hire employees since they need insurance and workman's comp.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill LC View Post
In MA we have to have workman's comp for all employees. However, domestic workers working less than 16 hours a week don't need workman's comp. I don't know how we can afford it because I still have school and sports and work on average 8 hours a week. I don't think we have the cashflow for me to directly hire employees since they need insurance and workman's comp.
You can hire people as private contractors on an hourly rate if you do so on a limited basis.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't your state have healthcare insurance requirements for all employees and if you opt not too there's some sort of fines/tax on you and your employees. You really need a Mass landscaper to weigh in on this and walk you through those rules your the only state that has them.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Doesn't your state have healthcare insurance requirements for all employees and if you opt not too there's some sort of fines/tax on you and your employees. You really need a Mass landscaper to weigh in on this and walk you through those rules your the only state that has them.
That's why I brought up the independent contractor idea, but there is a burden of proof there is asked.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Only employers with more than 10 full-time employees need to get health insurance. All my workers are local high schoolers and college students so they're covered by their parents.

Is it OK to classify helpers as domestic workers?