Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill LC View Post
Only employers with more than 10 full-time employees need to get health insurance. All my workers are local high schoolers and college students so they're covered by their parents.

Is it OK to classify helpers as domestic workers?
I never heard that the IRS has a classification such as 'domestic workers'... Anyone who si not considered and 'employee' is self-employed...

Everything hinges on the fact that Social Security Taxes need to be payed on all 'Earned Income'... that is what you need to consider in your relationship with people who help you...
Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

This is where I got my information:

http://www.workrightspress.com/workerscompch1.html

Basically my helpers are hired on as home gardeners through my client; we're all paying individual self-employment tax.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If they are hired through clients then the client would pay them separately in order for them to be domestic help... Workers Comp is a whole different ball of wax than SSA, but the definition of Employee is the kicker on both...

I would ask a reputable aacountant, familiar with your state's WC laws, definition of subcontractor as well as FICA ramifications to let you know what you could get hit with... How many times did I see the word lawsuit in your reference?

The description "Control the work place and provide the equipment' would also apply to family members that you have help you out at odd times during the year...
If you use the same people that other people use, that should be a sub-contractor in their own right, but who knows for sure...
Ask an accountant, NOT a lawyer for obvious reasons...
Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply Smallaxe.

I've only used helpers when my clients has been willing to contract them as domestic workers and pay them separately. I've been working as a contractor since I provide equipment. However, I'm still providing equipment, transportation, and directing my helpers. Is this arrangement OK?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

If I'm not allow to classify workers as domestic workers, could someone please recommend a worker's comp plan? I want to cover 2-6 day laborers. Are there any that are based on payroll?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
If I'm not allow to classify workers as domestic workers, could someone please recommend a worker's comp plan? I want to cover 2-6 day laborers. Are there any that are based on payroll?
Workers comp is based on payroll, you really need to sit down with an account to figure out you state and local tax obligations for employees if that is what you want.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
This is where I got my information:

http://www.workrightspress.com/workerscompch1.html

Basically my helpers are hired on as home gardeners through my client; we're all paying individual self-employment tax.
Yes I just read the crap on that site I would highly recommend you find another source. I know you are young and have not developed your bias radar yet but when a site says " In 1991, in a shameful display of blaming the victim, the legislature:" and then goes on to cry about the worker not getting his fair share its time to find a better source of laws this one doesn't have your best interest in mind.

Also on independent contractor side you want to look up the fed rules not the state the state can make them more strict but not less. And the IRS has set rules for independent contractors and if your providing the equipment and giving work times your kind of screwed. Now there was a guy in Texas who got around the labor fluctuation part by paying a flat rate for the lawn crews of 50% of the lawn cut price. The faster they got them done the more per hour they made the slower the less this works as long as they never go below minimum wage.

As for the health insurance what I did read was if you are under 10 employees you are not required to provide health insurance but if you do not then Employers who do not will be assessed an annual fair share contribution that will not exceed $295 per employee per year. The fair share contribution will be paid into the Commonwealth Care Trust Fund to fund Commonwealth Care and other health reform programs.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Yes I just read the crap on that site I would highly recommend you find another source. I know you are young and have not developed your bias radar yet but when a site says " In 1991, in a shameful display of blaming the victim, the legislature:" and then goes on to cry about the worker not getting his fair share its time to find a better source of laws this one doesn't have your best interest in mind.

Also on independent contractor side you want to look up the fed rules not the state the state can make them more strict but not less. And the IRS has set rules for independent contractors and if your providing the equipment and giving work times your kind of screwed. Now there was a guy in Texas who got around the labor fluctuation part by paying a flat rate for the lawn crews of 50% of the lawn cut price. The faster they got them done the more per hour they made the slower the less this works as long as they never go below minimum wage.

As for the health insurance what I did read was if you are under 10 employees you are not required to provide health insurance but if you do not then Employers who do not will be assessed an annual fair share contribution that will not exceed $295 per employee per year. The fair share contribution will be paid into the Commonwealth Care Trust Fund to fund Commonwealth Care and other health reform programs.
Kelly is on the money! and only so you don't forget please go see an account or at least sit down with someone in your state tax office.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-17-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your responses. I'll stick to solo until I know what I'm doing concerning employees then.

One more thing: Do landscape contractors in Massachusetts need licenses or permits?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. I'll stick to solo until I know what I'm doing concerning employees then.

One more thing: Do landscape contractors in Massachusetts need licenses or permits?
In RI and in most states if you touch something on someone else's property for money and it doesn't grow it often times puts you in a "contractor" status call your department of business regulations or look on line for llicence types in your state.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker