Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Ride on spray equipment SS220

I am looking into buying a ride on sprayer for high volume liquid applications, 1.5GPM. My options seem to be the Z-Spray, which I have some limited experience with, and the SS220 by Northern Turf Equipment. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? Reviews? Thanks!!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener1 View Post
I am looking into buying a ride on sprayer for high volume liquid applications, 1.5GPM. My options seem to be the Z-Spray, which I have some limited experience with, and the SS220 by Northern Turf Equipment. Does anyone have any experience with this machine? Reviews? Thanks!!!!!
If I was looking into doing high volume liquid, I would look into the Z-Spray first and the T-3000 second. Z can probably customize a sprayer for you, given you may need to put out heavier volume than a conventional ride on.

The other option would be the Turfco T3000. I talked to Bob probably a year or so ago. They make an additional tank you can put where the hopper is to give the machine for volume, as well as an additional boom.

The SS220 always seemed cheap to me, with very little room for modifications, if any. Do your homework and buy the best option that works for your company.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input Nattylawn. I hear what you're saying about the 220 seeming 'cheap', I get that feeling too. I may go see a dealer in Pa next week to demo one, as I have never seen one in person. Then I will know for sure.

I talked with the guys at Turco and their machine can't put out the volume I need. Looks like I mistyped before, I need 1.5 gal per k.

Last edited by Greener1; 01-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I meant to say that I need 1.5 gallons per k sq ft, not 1.5GPM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told you get could the Turfco up to 4gpm.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

1.5 gallons per thousand sq ft. So if you are covering 5000 sq feet per minute, you would use 7.5 gallons per min. With an 18 gallon tank--you would need to refill at 2 minutes and 34 seconds. Are you sure?

I think you would be better served if you used an organic dry fertilizer.
Barry can help you with a product that supplies the nutrients without hauling all that water. Screamin Green comes to mind. You can use the liquid to apply something a little more concentrated: mycorhizae, micronutrients and Fiesta for instance.

I just had a chance to take a first-hand look at a T-3000 at a local fert dealer's showroom. Sweet machine looks well built, and well thought out features. Three valves. Choose Full wide, trim wide, or spray wand.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am having my z-max converted over to spray 1.5 gallons per k on all liquid apps as we speak.

Putting the additional tank on in place of the hopper, they will be able to be swapped out in about an hour if I want to put granular, I am told.

This will allow me to carry 60 gallons of water and at 1.5 gallons that I am going to be spraying at I will cover 40k per fill up.

I am setting up nurse tanks to hold 400 gallons so I will be able to leave the shop with 460 gallons of water this will allow me to cover just over 7 acres before I have to reload water.

PM me if you have any questions, I am converting my 2004 z max if that makes any difference.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what pump changes are you making? if any....
Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
what pump changes are you making? if any....
No changes yet. I want to see how the factory pump runs. i will find out fast tho. i am converting the spot spray hose over to a 3/8 hose to put lawn gun on it so i can get hard to reach areas.

i have a 30k lawn that comes to mind. 5k of it is above a 3 ft wall but it is 400 ft from the truck and i am tired of doing it by hand and dont want ti carry to lenghts of 1/2 inch hose to pull from the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i changed out the pump on my jr this past year to the 5gpm pump they sell.

i installed a spray gun to my hose reel to use it and the tank for my shrubs worked great...