Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 PM
donahue_85 donahue_85 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 11
2002 60" Exmark LazerZ HELP!

I have a 2002 60" Exmark LazerZ.

For some reason, it has an intermitant shutting down problem. It has been in the shop multiple times & each time they can't get it to duplicate the issue, so they can't figure out the source! It is driving me crazy!!

It starts & runs fine but if it gets on an incline it dies, then its hard to get it to stay running to get it off the incline to keep mowing. Some days are worse than others, sometimes it just does it becasue it can I guess, it doesn't have to be on an incline.

The shop has replaced the tilt switch, fuel filters (all of them) & checked all the safety switches, just can't seem to figure it out.

Any suggestions, questions or comments???
__________________
Workin' hard all day pays off in the end
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,008
Clean the carb and replace the fuel lines.
You may have a piece of trash floating around in the carb.
If it still stalls on hills, turn off the blades and see if it clears.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
MrOPEguy MrOPEguy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Water and crap in the tanks certainly could cause an issue and shouldn't be overlooked. Early models had a mercury roll over protection switch on them as well. California banned the use of mercury in non essential applications so this switch has since been eliminated. I can't recall when Exmark stopped using the switch. Flip the seat up and look for a round metal device that plugs into the harness that the seat switch is wired into. It is the size or a half dollar in diameter and it bolted to the frame with one bolt just in front of the spring post that operates the seat switch. If memory serves me correctly you should be able to unplug the harness coming and going to and from the mercury switch and plug the two remaining ends into themselves taking the switch out of the loop. Another possibility is a seat delay module, however these typically don't fail with the symptoms you describe. Normally the SDM will fail causing the mower to shut off when the brake is released, however it can cause an issue if you are light on the seat while on and incline. I don't have an easy test for you on that switch. It has to be tested with an ohm meter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:37 PM
donahue_85 donahue_85 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 11
Just for the record, I am mechanically inclined, just not too familiar with ZT mowers.

But I guess I failed to mention, this mower has a 27hp EFI Kholer. Which is why I have not been able to figure it out either. My final guess thus far is that there must be a peice of debris somewhere that is intermittantly clogging up something. I just hate to take everything apart to find out that is not the problem either.

What would be your opinion, now knowing that my engine is fuel injected? Sorry I forgot to mention that.
__________________
Workin' hard all day pays off in the end
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:42 PM
donahue_85 donahue_85 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOPEguy View Post
Water and crap in the tanks certainly could cause an issue and shouldn't be overlooked. Early models had a mercury roll over protection switch on them as well. California banned the use of mercury in non essential applications so this switch has since been eliminated. I can't recall when Exmark stopped using the switch. Flip the seat up and look for a round metal device that plugs into the harness that the seat switch is wired into. It is the size or a half dollar in diameter and it bolted to the frame with one bolt just in front of the spring post that operates the seat switch. If memory serves me correctly you should be able to unplug the harness coming and going to and from the mercury switch and plug the two remaining ends into themselves taking the switch out of the loop. Another possibility is a seat delay module, however these typically don't fail with the symptoms you describe. Normally the SDM will fail causing the mower to shut off when the brake is released, however it can cause an issue if you are light on the seat while on and incline. I don't have an easy test for you on that switch. It has to be tested with an ohm meter.
Thats what I meant when I said it does it when it wants to sometimes, the brake released, it shuts down, put the brake back on quikly enough, it will stay running. Eventually it seems to work itself out of that after letting it sit and run for a few minutes, but still, it shouldn't be doing ANY of these things I'm describing. Thus meaning : I'm stumpped
__________________
Workin' hard all day pays off in the end
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
MrOPEguy MrOPEguy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by donahue_85 View Post
Just for the record, I am mechanically inclined, just not too familiar with ZT mowers.

But I guess I failed to mention, this mower has a 27hp EFI Kholer. Which is why I have not been able to figure it out either. My final guess thus far is that there must be a peice of debris somewhere that is intermittantly clogging up something. I just hate to take everything apart to find out that is not the problem either.

What would be your opinion, now knowing that my engine is fuel injected? Sorry I forgot to mention that.
Are you getting any trouble codes? Watch the red light. With the motor off. Turn the key on and off 3 times. You should only get one code if nothing is wrong. The end of code signal is 61. It should blink 6 times pause and blink once. If this is the only code you get then the issue isn't on the efi side of the unit. I would start with a fuel filter. I'll be honest. It is hard to troubleshoot the EFI over the net. Start with the basics as the other guys mentioned. You may also want to check the ground on the engine and frame. Make sure the connections are clean. It sounds like a fuel issue if its not the mercury switch. I can't recall if the EFI even used the merc switch. Look for it and if you don't see it move on to something else. Sorry I can't be more help. The efi is a little more complex than the carbed units.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 PM
MrOPEguy MrOPEguy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by donahue_85 View Post
Thats what I meant when I said it does it when it wants to sometimes, the brake released, it shuts down, put the brake back on quikly enough, it will stay running. Eventually it seems to work itself out of that after letting it sit and run for a few minutes, but still, it shouldn't be doing ANY of these things I'm describing. Thus meaning : I'm stumpped
I am sorry I missed that. I skim when I read. That is the tell tell sign that a seat delay module is going out. It is mounted underneath the "dash" where the seat hing is mounted. There are two phillips head screws that hold it on just in front of the seat. The switch is hidden underneath. If I had to bet my lunch money on one guess, that would be the first thing I would replace. Sorry I missed that the first time. I wasn't reading word for word.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
ffemt1271's Avatar
ffemt1271 ffemt1271 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Shreveport, La.
Posts: 1,281
i have a '03 that did the same thing ....twice. first time was the mercury switch, i bypassed it with a jumper. second time was the seat switch.

i do not recommend unhooking the safety switches but you can start your unit and remove the kill relay once it's started and run it like normal. that will tell if it is a switch problem, then you can troubleshoot from there.DOING THIS WILL COMPLETELY DISCONNECT THE SAFETY SWITCH SYSTEM AND THE SEAT SAFETY SWITCH. you will have to re-insert the kill relay to turn the mower off. Again i don't reccommend this, but it's what i had to do to find my problem
__________________
Deep South Lawn Service
www.deepsouthlawn.com
2003 dodge 2500/ cummins
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
3- 60" lazers, 1- 72" lazer 1- 36" W/B
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
36" stihl chainsaw
2 fs100rx's, 2 br600 magnum FS94R, KM90
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer


lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:26 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,008
The engine being a 26 efi would probably eliminate any carb issues. Duh.
Intermittent failures are always the toughest to track down.
You're probably going to be relegated to just change parts until you get it.
I'd start with the cheap ones first. Brake switch. Seat switch.
Remember that ALL your components are 10 years old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM
donahue_85 donahue_85 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Port Charlotte, FL
Posts: 11
I'm going to be looking into that seat switch thing! That really sounds like that could be my trouble. I have had the fuel filters replaced not even a month ago & I know I'm getting good fuel flow.

To be honest, I had figured it to be something stupid and simple from the get go, but I just don't have the experience with these things to be able to diagnose it myself. I really appreciate ALL the information you guys are helping me with here.

Oh, I do believe it does have a merc switch, but I'm almost positive that it's been bypassed already, so that should eliminate that one.

I will check those codes you mentioned just to be sure about that too.
__________________
Workin' hard all day pays off in the end
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.08622 seconds with 7 queries