Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Sponsor

You can never underestimate the value of a good client list. Clients definitely make the business! If you end up acquiring the business you will certainly want to breath some fresh life into it your advertising. I'm Robin with Adeas Printing & I want to quickly tell you about our innovative products. We offer Band-It & Stick-It as reasonably priced add ons to our Door Hangers, Postcards, Brochures & much more. They will truly make your new business stand out from the competition and really impress your new & existing customers. Take a look at our short video explaining what we offer: http://www.adeasprinting.com/perforated-door-hangers

We have fantastic specials going on right now too. For example 1,000 door hangers with Band-It for only $99.00! Call us with any questions

Sincerely,
Robin
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
I don't understand why the lawn guys feel the need to tell everyone everything they own.
Because they judge success by the number of depreciating assets they have acquired.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
I would be much more concerned about the "value" of the customer list before I had any other questions. The numbers that were presented for the discussed irrigation company that the original poster gave are not very good considering how large the billed customer list is (320).

Example, let's say he bought the billed customers only and paid $5000.00. Some people would argue that is a no brainer, but it also very well might put you out of business. I would argue that for 320 customers, $60,000 might barely cover overhead and pay one person $25,000 salary. Everything points to these customers "costing" more than any investment made.
Well I think you buy it for 5k and absorb them into your pricing structure. That way it is only a 5k risk.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bought a couple business in the last few years. I haven't regretted it. I guess they really depend on the type of situation. Sometimes these clients are impossible to reach with advertising, I think I would have missed out on some major revenue if I hadn't of taken the risks.

On my next buyout, if they are average clients I would really want to try to get the list for next to nothing. Nobody can get financing, this business is hard, its not like buying a McDonalds franchise, margins are not incredible... so I think this needs to reflect in the price.

On the other hand, if it was business like Mike Leary's I think it could be an amazing opportunity. To truly build a brand in this industry, it seems to take 10-20 years... and you are essentially buying 10-20 years of someone's life.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Part of the deal discussed was going to the home show together to explain to clients we see there. He is willing to help with scheduling for the spring and fall service. We do have some overlap of our client base.

I have been doing most repairs for the last 3 seasons on my accounts, spring start ups, and water management. He has done the blowouts as he owns a compressor(I have thought of renting one this last season).

Main thing I have not is add zones, install a system, or design.

I have been attending classes on irrigation by local associations. Have a means to get the plt license (low voltage). Thinking of getting the clia cert.

This last season he had used my employees for install labor so I got some free training off him

Planning to put a pay schedule based off of retained customers/sales. Also put xx amount of hours by him working on the transition at my discretion.
Posted via Mobile Device
You will want to make sure that you are even eligible to take the PLT testing. The state requires that you need to be an unregistered individual for a min of 3 years before you are eligible to take the PLT test. I have looked into buying companies in MN, and you usually need to account for a 20% customer loss, and buying only the customers at about 50-60% of what they were charging to come out in the end.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBetterDoorhanger View Post
You can never underestimate the value of a good client list. Clients definitely make the business! If you end up acquiring the business you will certainly want to breath some fresh life into it your advertising. I'm Robin with Adeas Printing & I want to quickly tell you about our innovative products. We offer Band-It & Stick-It as reasonably priced add ons to our Door Hangers, Postcards, Brochures & much more. They will truly make your new business stand out from the competition and really impress your new & existing customers. Take a look at our short video explaining what we offer: http://www.adeasprinting.com/perforated-door-hangers

We have fantastic specials going on right now too. For example 1,000 door hangers with Band-It for only $99.00! Call us with any questions

Sincerely,
Robin
Welcome to the site. Sorry about my last post. On my IPad it doesn't indicate the sponsor under the avatar.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

buy a new computer, you piker
Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Welcome to the site. Sorry about my last post. On my IPad it doesn't indicate the sponsor under the avatar.
Not sure what you are referring too, but no worries & thank you!

-Robin
Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And you, fix your links.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you ever buy the company?