Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

extreem trimmer rack nightmare

worst day of last year. i have always had trimmer racks on my open trailer. i used to have a green touch trimmer rack, but the trimmer would rotate and sometimes damage trimmers.i never had trouble with the square tube trimmer rack. it was on there for years.but to stop the rotating i stepped up to the extreem trimmer rack. three months into last season this happened.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torotorotoro View Post
worst day of last year. i have always had trimmer racks on my open trailer. i used to have a green touch trimmer rack, but the trimmer would rotate and sometimes damage trimmers.i never had trouble with the square tube trimmer rack. it was on there for years.but to stop the rotating i stepped up to the extreem trimmer rack. three months into last season this happened.
here is how i solved the dreaded death wobble. also call extreme might replace since it snaped?
Attached Images

------------
Frontier Lawn's Website
-----------

http://www.givemeliberty.org/
Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i might try to call. that looks like it might help. i wish that i only got the two trimmer rack. mine did not wobble much. i reinforced the trailer under the rack. i am thinking of swithing to jungle jim. i could not beleive hou thin the metal was. i wish the racks were still square and thicker. getting a new rack wont help me replace the three broken trimmers. i could weld it back together but i am not sure i want to take chance again. i see other companies running around with only one pole left from their broken extreem rack. it was almost a $1000 disaster for me.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

When i ordered mine they came with those brackets and the ones for an enclosed trailer also. I haven't had any problems.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We've got them and haven't had any problems. They will get a thorough inspection prior to starting this season though!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

The same thing happened to me. I welded some gussets on them and welded a brace. The three trimmer system sucks, too wobbly. Now we only use the two bottom ones. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS LLC View Post
The same thing happened to me. I welded some gussets on them and welded a brace. The three trimmer system sucks, too wobbly. Now we only use the two bottom ones. Good luck.
there would be lots of ways to reinforce them for strength. but for the price of these they should be made with a thicker gage steel. i thought of welding some steel rods on the middle of them then welding them back together.then maybey adding some additional supports all the way up, but i think rather then that i will look into junglejims. has anyone had failure with them. racks arnt cheep but neither are trimmers
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have always doubted the stability of those multi-trimmer racks. I use 2 single trimmer racks, one on each side of the trailer.

Ford
Exmark-Gravely
Stihl-Redmax
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not look into the Grid Iron racks http://novaeope.com/gridironhome.aspx

I've had the same set on over 3 trailers over the last 10 years or so. NEVER had any trouble. The picture shows a truck driving onto a couple of posts and they don't even bend. They're aluminum so they don't rust. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. You can adjust the cradle that holds the throttle end of your trimmer so it won't spin around.
Attached Images

http://www.klawns.com
Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman90 View Post
Why not look into the Grid Iron racks http://novaeope.com/gridironhome.aspx

I've had the same set on over 3 trailers over the last 10 years or so. NEVER had any trouble. The picture shows a truck driving onto a couple of posts and they don't even bend. They're aluminum so they don't rust. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. You can adjust the cradle that holds the throttle end of your trimmer so it won't spin around.
looks good what do they run