Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2014, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

When your cut quality and attention to detail is one of the best.....

....how are you successful in convincing potential new clients you are worth the extra money over Mr. Cheap Cuts...?

I have never understood why folks select a mowing service on price point for mowing without actually seeing ones work?

Seriously considering phasing out of mowing and going applications only or bust. It is crazy difficult to get a $35 minimum here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately, a lot of people in this country now have what I call the WalMart syndrome. That's why everything is about price and you can't find anything of quality any more - everything says made in China.

When it comes to lawn care, that's a hard one. It really depends on where people place emphasis. It kinda reminds me of the commercial where the lady is getting a pedicure for $20 and she sees a sign across the street advertising pedicures for $10. Why don't people place a value on things? Isn't a proper service worth a decent price?

It's really baffling, since people that work and provide some type of service for their employer certainly expect a fair wage in return. Why can't they look at other services the same way?

If people don't mind paying $30 for an oil change that takes 10 minutes, they certainly shouldn't mind paying $35 for a mowing job that takes 20 minutes. Like I said, it's baffling sometimes.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people in this country now have what I call the WalMart syndrome. That's why everything is about price and you can't find anything of quality any more - everything says made in China.

When it comes to lawn care, that's a hard one. It really depends on where people place emphasis. It kinda reminds me of the commercial where the lady is getting a pedicure for $20 and she sees a sign across the street advertising pedicures for $10. Why don't people place a value on things? Isn't a proper service worth a decent price?

It's really baffling, since people that work and provide some type of service for their employer certainly expect a fair wage in return. Why can't they look at other services the same way?

If people don't mind paying $30 for an oil change that takes 10 minutes, they certainly shouldn't mind paying $35 for a mowing job that takes 20 minutes. Like I said, it's baffling sometimes.
I agree with you for the most part, but here's a point against your final argument:

Oil change:
not everyone can do one
A shop change costs only a little more than doing it yourself

Mowing:
Most people can mow, it doesn't mean it'll look good, but the grass will be short
Because they can do it themselves for free, it has less value than a $30 oil change that would cost them $25 to do in their driveway.

Even mr cheap cuts does a better job than the average joe homeowner with his battery powered ryobi mower. So it's a step up in quality, at a lower price, even if there's less value.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I only target high end accounts(weeds some out but not all). I still like to walk properties when I do estimates so I can sell myself to the customer, plus up sell. Professional and friendly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One other factor to consider is that lawn mowing is a repetitive task. During the growing season even the best service only looks better for a couple of days. Most folks are happy just to have someone show up. Doing a good job is a plus. Doing an exceptional job is not expected nor are they willing to pay for the extra time it takes.

A lot of the time the only person(s) who see the difference are contractors.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The commercial mowers we use are what give the lawn its "quality" look. Most folks could care less, though. It just saves us time to do it that way.

We could all be using 21's. We could all be using the best mower out there. Doesn't matter.

A tight route is key. Selling yourself is key. If they like YOU they'll pay. Don't even talk about the grass on a sales call. Seriously.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Being the best is a losing battle in lawn mowing. Being really good isn't.

You have to find the balance of what is good enough to charge a little higher price and yet efficient enough to make that price profitable.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My old saying is, I don't want all the Business, Just the Gravy .

Ive seen several new fellers running around with new mowers already, and the grass isnt even growing yet.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
My old saying is, I don't want all the Business, Just the Gravy .

Ive seen several new fellers running around with new mowers already, and the grass isnt even growing yet.
BINGO! We have a winner!

Larry gets it. I think he may be my brother from another mother.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To the client it's not about grass, it's "what's in it for me?"

At the point of sale they don't want to hear about how great you are, how detailed you are, your quality. Basically, they don't want to hear about YOU, they want to hear about THEM. All they want to hear is:
  • Time saved
  • Storage space by not having a mower in the garage, you'd be surprised how many wives get onto the husbands for garages being messy
  • No more moldy grass smelling garages with the hint of gasoline
  • More time with the family
  • More golf on the weekends
  • Morning sex on weekends vs mowing the lawn
  • No going to the gas station at the last minute because the gas can is empty
  • No more gas spilled in the garage.
  • No more mower maintenance
  • No more leaving the job incomplete by having to go to Home Depot, etc to get trimmer line because they rain out and forgot about it
  • no more grass stained shoes
  • more time for running
  • time, time time
  • grass too tall because they were supposed to cut it on Wednesday but ran out of TIME.

Your quality and appearance do matter, that's why you're doing the estimate. Assuming you have an ad with pics, they see you do a good job, once you're on the property, face to face with them, it's all about them, not about you.

"I'll cut your lawn for $35 a week and I'm the best there is at it."

doesn't sound as good as

"For $35 a week YOU get to spend more time with the family, YOU get to play an extra round of golf, YOU get more space in the garage, matter of fact, I know a guy that will buy that mower from YOU and YOU don't have to deal with it, YOU will not be frustrated at an overgrown lawn because you ran out of time. And on top of that,YOU will have the best lawn in the neighborhood."

Last edited by SaberLawnCare; 03-26-2014 at 10:55 AM.