Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Edger parts

Your dealer should be able to order the outside tube for you. Not sure if the drive shaft is flexible or not. Can you take the edger head off and pull the shaft out and check to see if will straighten? Just a thought!!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no doubt that a large bump in the road could do this to the shaft of a trimmer/edger if the weight of the motor is not properly supported, which would be as close to the engine as possible. I have seen high-speed camera reveal what happens to vehicles as they travel down the road. Some unbelievable flexing of the trailer and racks, and with the weight of the motor a fair distance from the rack support could create a "whipping" effect on the shaft, causing this to bend. Do your trimmers/edgers rotate in the racks? How close is the motor supported in the rack? How much movement is in the racks if you grab ahold of the top of the rack and push/pull on them? These are all things to consider when using these racks.
I would repair the shaft if possible, but I would do an evaluation of the rack/trailer setup to make sure that everything is supported well and sturdy to reduce the chances of this happening again.
Western 8.5 MVP
Dodge 2500 V10
JD X485 AWS
JD X729 4x4WS
JD X739 4x4WS
Z550 60" TF
Toro PP 21
JDX26
Echo/Stihl/Husqvarna
Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Would it be more likely to bend or break near the engine from a bump in the road? I have the rack supported sturdy with 2x10's and the mounts are as close to the engine as possible.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Possibly, however, it depends on the type of bump or impact/rebound that may have happened. Is your rack located on the front or side of the trailer? If on the side, it the engine end of the trimmer in front or behind the trailer wheels? This can be a big factor in the type of loading that the trimmer will see during transport.
Western 8.5 MVP
Dodge 2500 V10
JD X485 AWS
JD X729 4x4WS
JD X739 4x4WS
Z550 60" TF
Toro PP 21
JDX26
Echo/Stihl/Husqvarna
Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't read the entire thread but the racks in the OPs pic were not installed correctly. The second post (SCAG) is the correct way to install. Extreme also sells head supports for the trimmers. I haven't ordered those yet but will be. The flex in the trimmers going down the road can't be good for the equipment. Good thread to make people aware to check their rig often.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebletlawns View Post
Sorry guys. If you have to do all that work to make sure your trimmers are safe, the "extreme"rack is not a quality product. Maybe if they came up with a better mounting system. Who cares if no can steal the trimmers if they are just gonna fall off. All the extra hardware needed that isn't included..why don't they give you everything you need to truly secure your trimmers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. By the time you buy the extensions and the engine cradles, you've increased the price substantially. I am very pleased with my Jungle Jim's one-trimmer rack mounted on my angle iron rails. I have one on each side of my trailer.

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Looks like somebody tried to climb on the trimmer. Got employees?
This "Got employees?" line cracked me up!

Liberty Lawnworks, LLC

"Don't be so busy making a living that you don't have time to make a life."
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but the racks in the OPs pic were not installed correctly. The second post (SCAG) is the correct way to install. Extreme also sells head supports for the trimmers. I haven't ordered those yet but will be. The flex in the trimmers going down the road can't be good for the equipment. Good thread to make people aware to check their rig often.
Engine support kit is a must IMHO. It really helps the weight stay off of the shaft as opposed to it not. Before I added the Engine support kit you could see the play from the engine as driving down the road. Now it does not appear to have any as the head is actually supported well.

i would take a guess that the pole in the one guys picture where the shaft of the trimmer snapped would of been prevented if he had the engine support kit. It is affordable and should be purchased if you want to ensure no issues will come...but again the first picture in the thread...it was installed incorrectly.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

1 year since install...

I have not posted on this thread for awhile, but I have not had any problems with my trimmer rack except for some wobble when I was on a bad road. I solved that my taking a scrap piece of angle iron and drilling two holes in it. One hole was on the trimmer rack (engine mount support bracket) and the other hole was mounted to the trailer frame. Welded the angle iron where it touched trailer. I did not do anything to the other support as I was only worried about the string trimmer engines. Just need to grind down and paint. Hopefully, I'll get to that this winter.

I should have unloaded the wood from the trailer before taking picture, Sorry. The trimmer rack is very sturdy now.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Engine support kit is a must IMHO. It really helps the weight stay off of the shaft as opposed to it not. Before I added the Engine support kit you could see the play from the engine as driving down the road. Now it does not appear to have any as the head is actually supported well.

i would take a guess that the pole in the one guys picture where the shaft of the trimmer snapped would of been prevented if he had the engine support kit. It is affordable and should be purchased if you want to ensure no issues will come...but again the first picture in the thread...it was installed incorrectly.
I did order and install the supports for the heads of my trimmers. They work quite well and at $50, fairly cheap. Highly recommend them.