Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
The pins that are attached to your trimmer shafts are BACKWARDS. Look at the instructions or pictures on their website. That would cause a lot of stress on the one upright that has the trimmer heads locked on it, the one that broke. It's not getting any support from the other upright! My point is, I've got my money on operator error, not equipment failure here.
I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Could be enough of a difference to put all that force on the one upright, like you said.

But it still does look like the wall thickness of their tube isn't adequate. My double will be here next week. Will probably put a couple gussets on either side to be safe after seeing this.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had the xtreme rack for 3 years now, I LOVE it.

The thing with a rack like that is, it could have been abused by employees, like shaking it or bending it. Could have been hit by a mower on the trailer and then bent back...

I'm not totally going to rule out that the rack just failed on it's own though, metal is known to have weak spots sometimes, and welding causes the metal to become more brittle adjacent to the weld... One would assume they (the manufacturer) has to have seen this happen before, or is this the first case?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman90 View Post
Why not look into the Grid Iron racks http://novaeope.com/gridironhome.aspx

I've had the same set on over 3 trailers over the last 10 years or so. NEVER had any trouble. The picture shows a truck driving onto a couple of posts and they don't even bend. They're aluminum so they don't rust. Expensive but worth it in my opinion. You can adjust the cradle that holds the throttle end of your trimmer so it won't spin around.
Thanks for the info - I do not see where there racks would be any stronger...but they do have a rack for a chainsaw that locks.....been looking for that.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've had my Extreme rack for 4 years and it's on it's second trailer. Never had a problem with it. I have it mounted using the enclosed trailer mounting hardware that came with it mounted to an open trailer. I'm more worried that the trimmer shaft will break as it's happened before then the rack itself breaking. I think yours broke from the way it was mounted without and bracing. I still say weld it back on, brace it up some, ditch the broken trimmers since they look beat to hell anyway and get new ones. My guess is, you'll never see this happen again if you brace it up some.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro, what brand Sulky is in your first pic?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I have mine set so the trimmers can wiggle. That way both trimmers can move around and are not rigid so they wont snap.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use trimmer traps on all our trucks. Never yet had an issue. The oldest one is eleven years old now. If you have different brands of trimmers on with different diameter grips they do move a little. Never seen any real damage caused from it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
From the responses I've read that you posted in the past, I'm thinking it's karma happening. Weld it back together and put a few braces on it.
thank you jesus, i never thought of it that way.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
The pins that are attached to your trimmer shafts are BACKWARDS. Look at the instructions or pictures on their website. That would cause a lot of stress on the one upright that has the trimmer heads locked on it, the one that broke. It's not getting any support from the other upright! My point is, I've got my money on operator error, not equipment failure here.
you are right. i did reverse the shaft pins to make it faster to load and unload. mayby it had something to do with it or maybey not. i still think the cast iron is very thin, and where and how it broke right above the weld really bothers me. yeah i can weld it back together. i can add braces to strengthen it. i can only put two trimmers on it .but i paid alot of money for this three trimmer rack. i dont think it is worth taking another chance or doing all that extra work. i did enjoy using it untill it broke.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcook View Post
Toro, what brand Sulky is in your first pic?
it is a toro tru track sulkey. it has caster wheels and works great on that 52" hydro because you can back up without stepping off.