Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 PM
tyler_mott85's Avatar
tyler_mott85 tyler_mott85 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 584
I just received and installed my two place Extreme today. Initial thought was there are a lot of parts for holding only two trimmers.

Lots of extra hardware when I was done but extra bolts are always nice to have around but would of been interested in saving the extra $10 or so that could of been saved by not having to pay for the enclosed supports, bolts, etc.

I installed the uprights as per instructions. Mounting the locking side directly over a rail support. The supports are angle iron turned 45 degrees so it looks like a V when looking at it from the top. Most trailers I've seen are like this. I ground out the outward edge and drilled through the support so that I could run one of the long bolts all the way through the support and I ended up using two of the bracing brackets to lock it into place. Very secure when I was done. The other support ended up being almost exactly in the middle of two other supports and after installation it twists the rail a bit more than I would like to see so when I take my trailer to do some welding on it soon I'll ad another support to it.

As for the mounts that you attach to the trimmers that was where I had an issue. The machining on these parts are of course not needing to be to aircraft standards but I noticed one of the engine side mounts holes was drilled around a 1/16" off center so when you bolted it up the bracket was crooked and would not fit into the locking mechanism. I had to file it down and also file some welding slag out of both of the locking mechanism to get the trimmers to start sliding in and out freely.

My opinions on the material used is that while the tubing is of fairly thin walled material and could use a little bit more beef I felt all the welds are very adequate. Overall I think a bit more quality control would serve this product well. We are talking about lots of moving, interacting parts after all and having to file parts down to even make them fit together doesn't bode well for how easy this product is supposed to be to use. Also all the trimmer racks I've used before I always rested the engine end on the hand grip so that less weight/leverage was being placed on the shaft. In this situation with the mounts being in front of the trigger it just adds that much more leverage. I have enough room on my Stihls to position these mounts behind the hand grips so I will probably go that route to reduce the leverage/weight even more.

After seeing this product with my own eyes, reading the installation instructions and reviewing toro's OP I am going to say that Toro was responsible for the ultimate breakage of his trimmer rack. While the tubing could have thicker material the installation of his rack is faulty. The Instructions specifically say to install the engine supporting upright directly above a rail support and by looking at his pictures it is evident this is not the case of his installation. On top of this by looking at the overall state of his trailer and equipment I would be leaning towards saying he doesn't care for his equipment properly anyway. Just having constant dirt and filth can do funky things to metal. Just my opinion and no offense intended.

As far as Jason Rose's post about the direction of the pins... after seeing how the product is designed you are able to position the pins in either direction to no affect of how the rack holds the products weight. If you were to position the mounts so that they put tension on each other you would not be able to put the engine end in the locking mechanism. I actually had to put one of mine on opposite of how their website shows to even get my curved shaft edger to fit properly. And yes the supports are installed the correct distance apart.

Overall a nice product. Time will tell if it was worth the money over something cheaper. I think a cross breed would be a better product. Still have the mounts attached to the trimmer but it would just lower down into a cradle of similar design to the Trimmer trap and you still have a bar that lowers down on top of it to secure it. Simple design...no more moving parts than us simple folk are used to.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
v6rs97 v6rs97 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 218
Mine is coming today. Maybe those engine support brackets should be standard
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM
orangemower orangemower is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6rs97 View Post
Mine is coming today. Maybe those engine support brackets should be standard
I've had my two place rack for 4 years on two different trailers. I wish they had the engine supports then. I suppose I could make some to work.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM
TopNotchLawnCare's Avatar
TopNotchLawnCare TopNotchLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 181
orangemower, you can buy them. http://www.trailerracks.com/enginesupport.html
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
v6rs97 v6rs97 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 218
Got mine today. Kinda thought it would be a little nicer.
__________________
Tom W.
Long Island, NY
www.ChristmasSupreme.com
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM
SouthSide Cutter SouthSide Cutter is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Washington In
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
I've had the xtreme rack for 3 years now, I LOVE it.

The thing with a rack like that is, it could have been abused by employees, like shaking it or bending it. Could have been hit by a mower on the trailer and then bent back...

I'm not totally going to rule out that the rack just failed on it's own though, metal is known to have weak spots sometimes, and welding causes the metal to become more brittle adjacent to the weld... One would assume they (the manufacturer) has to have seen this happen before, or is this the first case?
Anybody who has ever built tube chassis's to race with knows what your talking about. If you weld chrome moly tubing which usually was .083 and you get it to hot it would break right above the weld when ever stressed. A real good welder never uses a temp stick, and when welding tubing you never make a complete weld mig or tig you move around to keep the temp down. I always used dom mild steel tubing instead of some of the junk that is out there. I can see why some of it breaks.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 PM
torotorotoro's Avatar
torotorotoro torotorotoro is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: omaha, nebraska
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
I just received and installed my two place Extreme today. Initial thought was there are a lot of parts for holding only two trimmers.

Lots of extra hardware when I was done but extra bolts are always nice to have around but would of been interested in saving the extra $10 or so that could of been saved by not having to pay for the enclosed supports, bolts, etc.

I installed the uprights as per instructions. Mounting the locking side directly over a rail support. The supports are angle iron turned 45 degrees so it looks like a V when looking at it from the top. Most trailers I've seen are like this. I ground out the outward edge and drilled through the support so that I could run one of the long bolts all the way through the support and I ended up using two of the bracing brackets to lock it into place. Very secure when I was done. The other support ended up being almost exactly in the middle of two other supports and after installation it twists the rail a bit more than I would like to see so when I take my trailer to do some welding on it soon I'll ad another support to it.

As for the mounts that you attach to the trimmers that was where I had an issue. The machining on these parts are of course not needing to be to aircraft standards but I noticed one of the engine side mounts holes was drilled around a 1/16" off center so when you bolted it up the bracket was crooked and would not fit into the locking mechanism. I had to file it down and also file some welding slag out of both of the locking mechanism to get the trimmers to start sliding in and out freely.

My opinions on the material used is that while the tubing is of fairly thin walled material and could use a little bit more beef I felt all the welds are very adequate. Overall I think a bit more quality control would serve this product well. We are talking about lots of moving, interacting parts after all and having to file parts down to even make them fit together doesn't bode well for how easy this product is supposed to be to use. Also all the trimmer racks I've used before I always rested the engine end on the hand grip so that less weight/leverage was being placed on the shaft. In this situation with the mounts being in front of the trigger it just adds that much more leverage. I have enough room on my Stihls to position these mounts behind the hand grips so I will probably go that route to reduce the leverage/weight even more.

After seeing this product with my own eyes, reading the installation instructions and reviewing toro's OP I am going to say that Toro was responsible for the ultimate breakage of his trimmer rack. While the tubing could have thicker material the installation of his rack is faulty. The Instructions specifically say to install the engine supporting upright directly above a rail support and by looking at his pictures it is evident this is not the case of his installation. On top of this by looking at the overall state of his trailer and equipment I would be leaning towards saying he doesn't care for his equipment properly anyway. Just having constant dirt and filth can do funky things to metal. Just my opinion and no offense intended.

As far as Jason Rose's post about the direction of the pins... after seeing how the product is designed you are able to position the pins in either direction to no affect of how the rack holds the products weight. If you were to position the mounts so that they put tension on each other you would not be able to put the engine end in the locking mechanism. I actually had to put one of mine on opposite of how their website shows to even get my curved shaft edger to fit properly. And yes the supports are installed the correct distance apart.

Overall a nice product. Time will tell if it was worth the money over something cheaper. I think a cross breed would be a better product. Still have the mounts attached to the trimmer but it would just lower down into a cradle of similar design to the Trimmer trap and you still have a bar that lowers down on top of it to secure it. Simple design...no more moving parts than us simple folk are used to.
you probly could not tell from picture but there is a steel plate welded from square tube to the fender for support. i had to do this as opposed to mounting it direct because it was the best place for ot to fit. i had very little wobble. as for the dirt undermining the intergarty of the trimmer rack who can tell.it was 5:00 on a sun. when this happened. i was on my way to my last lawn for the week. it had rained that week and i was behind. no time for wash and wax.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 PM
torotorotoro's Avatar
torotorotoro torotorotoro is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: omaha, nebraska
Posts: 510
i just got my new two position extreem rack and engine supports free from green touch. i have gotten some great ideas for mounting them. i will add pics after i get them on trailer. greentouch is a company who stands behind there product and i cant wait to get them on trailer with a little more reinforcement then i had last time. any other suggestions on install would be appreicated. i think that since they are 2 position and not 3 will help alot ,and the engine supports should be great on my trailer.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 PM
tyler_mott85's Avatar
tyler_mott85 tyler_mott85 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 584
I'm definitely interested in seeing the engine supports.

I will try to take pics of how I mounted mine with the whole drilling and bolting through the support tomorrow.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
torotorotoro's Avatar
torotorotoro torotorotoro is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: omaha, nebraska
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
I'm definitely interested in seeing the engine supports.

I will try to take pics of how I mounted mine with the whole drilling and bolting through the support tomorrow.
on my old greentouch rack[ the square one] i used to bolt them on, but it always seemed to need tightened.i know, lock washer and locking bolts but i just weld them on and no more worry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Page generated in 0.08466 seconds with 8 queries