Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i will be putting on new racks this week. hopefully i can get pix on here by monday.im open to any last minute advice for mounting them. i will probly work on it thur or fri. depends if we get snow tomarrow.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on where you mount them, you could weld two pieces of angle iron in line with the racks and bolt them to it like you would on a enclosed trailer wall so if is supported at the top and bottom. I have mine mounted to the floor and to the rail at the front. The engine is on the drivers side and the trimmer head is on the passenger side.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Depending on where you mount them, you could weld two pieces of angle iron in line with the racks and bolt them to it like you would on a enclosed trailer wall so if is supported at the top and bottom. I have mine mounted to the floor and to the rail at the front. The engine is on the drivers side and the trimmer head is on the passenger side.
Posted via Mobile Device
i was thinking that would be a good idea. but im afraid the employees might hit it with mower. thought i minht try it on outside of trailer. but there im afraid i may hit it when i pull it into my garage. i may play around with that idea when i try to put on."
Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=tyler_mott85;4276764]
The supports are angle iron turned 45 degrees so it looks like a V when looking at it from the top. Most trailers I've seen are like this. I ground out the outward edge and drilled through the support so that I could run one of the long bolts all the way through the support and I ended up using two of the bracing brackets to lock it into place. Very secure when I was done. /QUOTE]

Tyler - Would you be willing to snap picture of how this is mounted to the trailer? I recieved my rack today and was looking over the parts but will not have time to install till Friday. Not sure if you also drilled though the angle iron in order to install brace.
Toro String Trimmer
Echo PB-413 backpack blower
Various handtools
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=rkeguy;4329852]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
The supports are angle iron turned 45 degrees so it looks like a V when looking at it from the top. Most trailers I've seen are like this. I ground out the outward edge and drilled through the support so that I could run one of the long bolts all the way through the support and I ended up using two of the bracing brackets to lock it into place. Very secure when I was done. /QUOTE]

Tyler - Would you be willing to snap picture of how this is mounted to the trailer? I recieved my rack today and was looking over the parts but will not have time to install till Friday. Not sure if you also drilled though the angle iron in order to install brace.
did you get the two or the three place rack. when you get yours on this weekend put up some pics. im thinking if running some rebarb through the middle of it so if they ever break ther wont fall off the trailer.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro - I got the rack for two trimmers and the instructions state to place bars 36 3/4" apart but I may have to bring in about a inch for my straight shaft trimmers. I looked in the box and seems like alot of hardware that isn't applicable for installing on open trailer. I will take a picture and post when I get it installed. I also ordered the Buyers LT20 Backpack blower rack for my Echo BR400. Just finished painting trailer so looking forward to getting racks on.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=rkeguy;4329852]
Quote:

I will get a pic up as soon as I can.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the engine side. Drilled a hole clear through the angle iron vertical brace and the horizontal top rail edge on the inside of the trailer. Ground the corner off and used extra nuts to lock everything together. Any movement is from the actual trailer itself at this point. Still need to unassembly and paint.

This is the non-load bearing side. Measured out as instructed and bolted through the top of the rail and used one of the brackets on the inside of the rail. I plan on getting a piece of 3/16" 2" strap steel and weld it from the top rail on the outside of the rail and run it down to the bottom of the frame so as to make an upside down triangle to keep the little wobble i do get on this side to a minimum. All movement here is from the top rail actually twisting.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I met the greentouch guys at the MAHTS show in Atlantic City, picked up a 3 place trimmer rack and ordered 2 of their new blower racks (Supposed to be coming in this month). Great post, good to see the various mounting as I havent installed my racks yet. Also great to hear about the good service they provided the OP.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

This is the engine side. Drilled a hole clear through the angle iron vertical brace and the horizontal top rail edge on the inside of the trailer. Ground the corner off and used extra nuts to lock everything together. Any movement is from the actual trailer itself at this point. Still need to unassembly and paint.

This is the non-load bearing side. Measured out as instructed and bolted through the top of the rail and used one of the brackets on the inside of the rail. I plan on getting a piece of 3/16" 2" strap steel and weld it from the top rail on the outside of the rail and run it down to the bottom of the frame so as to make an upside down triangle to keep the little wobble i do get on this side to a minimum. All movement here is from the top rail actually twisting.
looks good. but where mine broke last time i think it needs to be supported in two places or reinforced some how. now im leaning tward reinforcing mine.