The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Dang that all looks so great!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before and After

Simple landscape rip out and we did 4-5 years ago.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shrub rip out job from this fall

Quick 1 day rip out. All by hand. Ouch.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danscapes View Post
looks good. But one question, what is the 4" pipe for that is next to the boulder in the first pic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
That is a drain waiting for a nice custom brass drain gate.

Actually I went a little overboard with drainage on this particular job and I really did not need the drain. I was not sure how large of boulders the customer would select and I did not want water flow to get trapped behind the boulder. In the end the pitch of the fire pit area and the pitch of the main area worked perfectly and made this drain not really needed.

Good question.
-Chris
Those boulders clash with the brick wall. Artistically there is now reason for them. If the customer had to have something more then just a plain wall end then make the brick wall end as an over sized brick columns, or decorative lighting on the ends of the wall or both.

Those rocks lock like what are we going to do with these left over rocks? Their too heavy to take back so lets just stick them there.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Quick 1 day rip out. All by hand. Ouch.
Why do people constantly do this? My daughter would do this to my house if I let her. Here's my house now.

Admittedly, it could use a little more landscaping, but not up over the windows.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

those all look like nice jobs bud. I'm a shop teacher as well but I only do maintenance work. I mainly mow, and mulch, remove a few trees, do some power washing and I love the high weed mowing. brush clearing. I make lots of $ on that. I just got set up to plow for this coming winter. I do this part time as well. But be careful on here, I've been criticized a few times for "double dipping" and being a greedy teacher blah blah. I'm not sure about NY but I know it's tough to make a decent paycheck as a teacher in PA. Either way, keep up the good work.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Those boulders clash with the brick wall. Artistically there is now reason for them. If the customer had to have something more then just a plain wall end then make the brick wall end as an over sized brick columns, or decorative lighting on the ends of the wall or both.

Those rocks lock like what are we going to do with these left over rocks? Their too heavy to take back so lets just stick them there.
I appreciate your point of view.

I respectfully disagree, but I am not on here to argue. The limestone boulders were used to unify the front design which uses irregular limestone boulders extensively. Also just to the left of this area are rough hewn limestone stairs. It gave everything a nice cohesive feel and brought the two spaces together. I always hate how walls just terminate and I wanted a way to separate my work from the average joe block jock. I feel working natural materials (especially into this park like back yard) is the responsibility of all designers.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Slow movers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Why do people constantly do this? My daughter would do this to my house if I let her. Here's my house now.

Admittedly, it could use a little more landscaping, but not up over the windows.
I agree this is not the way to do it but some customers like to move slowly. I have been working on this house in various stages for years. Gentleman likes to proceed slowly and I like the fact that he calls me back year after year or even twice a year.

Best thing is he lets me do these jobs when I can, and is very flexible. I can finish up a job early and swing over and not waste hours. Great guy.

He is asking for a full redesign this winter and me to install in the spring. I say good.

-Chris
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Services View Post
those all look like nice jobs bud. I'm a shop teacher as well but I only do maintenance work. I mainly mow, and mulch, remove a few trees, do some power washing and I love the high weed mowing. brush clearing. I make lots of $ on that. I just got set up to plow for this coming winter. I do this part time as well. But be careful on here, I've been criticized a few times for "double dipping" and being a greedy teacher blah blah. I'm not sure about NY but I know it's tough to make a decent paycheck as a teacher in PA. Either way, keep up the good work.
Thanks for the advice MJ. Many local families support me both in my district and as landscaping customers.

If people have made comments about me teaching and landscaping I ask them this:

1. Do you want your investment guy to love investing and read the wall street journal every day because he loves money? Most say yes.

2. Do you want your gym teacher to be physically fit, run marathons, and inspire the kids about health? Again they say yes!

3. Do you want your kids shop teacher to build all kinds things and know about contracting, equipment, safety and tools. Most say ok I get your point!

Point is everyone has a passion, mine started with LEGO's and led to teaching my love of building and my love of landscaping. Or I simply say I do it for the free workouts.

-Chris
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some examples of my hand drawing

Here are a few examples of my hand drawing (one on iPad) but I am moving my stuff over to sketchup as I teach sketchup to my students. I teach hand drawing as well.
Attached Images