Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck and trailer

Truck and trailer ready to roll.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Backyard: Design work is never profitable in my experience. I use the iPad and sketchbook pro for quick sketches I usually just wrap the hourly rate into the final estimate. I really don't bring out the big guns (sketchup) unless I know the client is on board. I am getting better of "getting the sense," of who sees value in a real design. With that said, I worked in a consultant role/designer on a large pool scape out of town for a family friend. I did make money but it was not really worth the calls, meetings, travel time and hassle. It was good experience. I use design as an exercise to gain experience and work with people. I think it helps me sell. I create relationships with designs. Not much money in it, at least here in Syracuse.
Thats a great way to look at it. I really enjoy designing landscapes but when I could actually be making money now (most of my business is maintenance, mowing and brush clearing), my enthusiasm in design disappears. It is worth it if you bid the job right, but a lot of what I deal with, with new customers/ potential customers is who can do what the cheapest. Being a solo op its very hard to spread myself that thin, if you know what I mean, or do anything for free. I feel like that kind of work is filled with countless unpaid drives to and from their house, mostly from the types of "adults" who want something for nothing from a "young kid" (23). Not to sound harsh. I've had people take my designs and plant selections, and just do the job themselves. I'm also upstate, feel free to PM. Your design work is inspiring, even for someone as disgruntled with it as I am.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work stein!!! Also from the Syracuse area. You still keeping busy? fall is coming. Do you do a lot of fall cleanups? Nice equipment and work!!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not too many...

I have about 5-10 clients who have me put their landscape to bed each fall. I don't sell it too hard, as I try to get them to rely on my spring cleanups instead.

What about you? Mowing? Hardscaping?

-Chris
Old 10-18-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am a golf course superintendent in the area, also mow a handful of lawns on the side. Where do you get most of your mulch? Hafners?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No!

I get my mulch at Mill Creek on the corner of Taft and Northern boulevard.

20 dollars a yard vs. 30 plus at Hafners. I only go to Hafner's if Mill Creek is already closed for the day as Hafner's has better hours.

-Chris
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Few pics

Redbud at my mom's house for mother's day and a small patio out of techo parisian.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New app called paper for the iPad...

Using a new app for the iPad and drawing sketches that really have a nice hand drawn feel to it. The app is called paper and it works really well just make sure you get a fine tipped stylus to work with it!

Here is an example and I will post more of what is possible as I play. Great for conceptualizing your landscape designs!

-Chris
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another Test...

Here is another quick doodle to show what is possible with the paper drawing app on the iPad! Great tool to communicate your designs!
-Chris
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Using a new app for the iPad and drawing sketches that really have a nice hand drawn feel to it. The app is called paper and it works really well just make sure you get a fine tipped stylus to work with it!

Here is an example and I will post more of what is possible as I play. Great for conceptualizing your landscape designs!

-Chris
Those turned out pretty great.