Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Old nursery pots/containers

You guys that landscape too, what do you do with your used containers? I used to give them to local growers that hooked me up with some plant deals here and there, but it doesn't seem like they are really interested in them anymore. Are large quantities worth putting up on Craigslist?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I usually just bring them back with the trays. I've kept a couple of hundred 4" & 6"to start my Caladium for Spring planting.

http://caladiumworld.com/

(not affiliated)
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i usually take mine to the local high school and give the to the ag department to use in there greenhouse.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know a Plant Broker who makes a nice add on by Back Hauling Containers. He buys them for a Nickle and haul them to a grower who is super happy to pay a dime for good used containers. Dirt and containers are the biggest expense to a grower and holding costs down in a volume operation makes a huge difference on the bottom line.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

We dont go through thousands or anything, but weve got several neighbors and customers that do a lot of home gardening and we just always check with them, other wise I give em back to the local Ace Hardware.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep them in one spot and then take em back to the wholesale nursery. Sometimes I have to cut the pots open if the tree/ shrub is rootbound. If thats the case...... I burn it or take to the recyclers if its hdpe or pete plastic.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've probably got 1500-2000 1-3 gallons that have accumulated since I last moved them out. I'd like to move the whole bunch out rather than selling a hundred to this guy or a dozen to that guy. I've got bigger ones, but I keep those.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've probably got 1500-2000 1-3 gallons that have accumulated since I last moved them out. I'd like to move the whole bunch out rather than selling a hundred to this guy or a dozen to that guy. I've got bigger ones, but I keep those.
If you got land, you could start your own nursery; 1 - 3 gln is a a nice size. Most of the stuff we put in the ground are in 1 or 3 gallon pots. We like to start our annuals in 4" & move them to 6", let them settle a while before we plant them.

We've got a 1/3 acre back yard that's perfect for a small nursery. My wife has started coconuts, queens, date, fox tails, Christmas palms, arboragola, coco-plum, etc. in left over pots. It's just a hobby for my wife who gets a big kick out of birthing these things and watching them till we move them to 3 gallons and give them away.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I actually did grow some things for a while. Mainly indian hawthorn, azaleas and some queen palms. After that I grew about 60 varieties of tomatoes. I just don't have time to do it, or really the space either.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
PM Tim Smith. He might be interested in them. He's located in Sanford. If you don't hear from him I will talk to him tomorrow.