Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Engine leaking oil

ok, here is my Lesco 52 inch hydro with a 23hp Kohler engine.

I have never had any leaks or burning of oil...but when we finished the year I did a full service changing engine oil and filter...as I was out in the garage working on something else I moved the machine and noticed a small puddle of oil.

so I noticed behind the muffler there is the throttle cable and choke cable behind that on the engine there is a seam and oil is slowly dripping from that seam. I am only hoping or guessing that because of the cold the metal is shriking a little and causing oil to leak out. I put some engine gasket sealer and it seems to slow the leak down but its still dripping

any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmlawn View Post

ok, here is my Lesco 52 inch hydro with a 23hp Kohler engine.

I have never had any leaks or burning of oil...but when we finished the year I did a full service changing engine oil and filter...as I was out in the garage working on something else I moved the machine and noticed a small puddle of oil.

so I noticed behind the muffler there is the throttle cable and choke cable behind that on the engine there is a seam and oil is slowly dripping from that seam. I am only hoping or guessing that because of the cold the metal is shriking a little and causing oil to leak out. I put some engine gasket sealer and it seems to slow the leak down but its still dripping

any thoughts or suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think thats a kohler. It looks just like a 23hp kawasaki right down to the bolts. I have three of the same engine. Two leak. We have put another 700hrs on the oldest one by using sae 30 and lucas oil treatment with stop leak. If we don't add the lucas oil treatment it leaks to bad to even use it. With it you can use it all day and only get a little oil on the frame. Big difference. I hope to get one more season out of the engine since my dealer says there is no fix for leaks.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Just ran out there... It is a kawi..lol dohh

Was yours leaking in the same spot as I described?.....i will try the oil treatment
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like all the kawasaki 23hp leak in that same spot. My engine never smokes, runs perfect, just leaks oil. It got so bad we parked it for a while. You could clean the mower of start it and watch the oil leak all over the frame. When we heard about that lucas oil product we changed oil and added it. I didn't expect much. It worked quite well. This will be it third year running full time 350hrs per season. Hope it makes it. New engine will cost around $2100. Holding off on that as long as possible. Main thing, check the oil daily. When its a little low I add half lucus half opti 4 sae 30.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you...I will change the oil again and put in the Lucas Oil Stop Leak.

and I will run the piss out of this machine...lol
Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 17hp Kaw on our sentar that was leaking everywhere. I pulled the engine off and we put a lower seal, head gaskets, valve gasket a breather gasket on top and top end gasket o the crank. The sob don't leak any more at least now. The problem with living with a leak it ends up catching dirt and clogging the fins and then the unit runs hot. It is also very very difficult to tell when the darn kaw is low on the dip stick. YOu ought to narrow down where the leak is because if on the top end it should be easy to work on and fix.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I had a 17hp Kaw on our sentar that was leaking everywhere. I pulled the engine off and we put a lower seal, head gaskets, valve gasket a breather gasket on top and top end gasket o the crank. The sob don't leak any more at least now. The problem with living with a leak it ends up catching dirt and clogging the fins and then the unit runs hot. It is also very very difficult to tell when the darn kaw is low on the dip stick. YOu ought to narrow down where the leak is because if on the top end it should be easy to work on and fix.
I agree with you about the fins getting clogged. We have to take the shroud off and clean under it about every three weeks during the main part of the season. That is one of the trade offs for sure. I believe it actually is the lower seal on most of the kaws that cause the problem.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

ok, so I tried everything and the oil is still slowly leaking...I dont know what else i can do...

here are some pics of the machine...after paint job

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...wg29/lesco.jpg