Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2012, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownScapes View Post
Well not to sound blunt but with it sounding like you are burnt out and looking for somthing new, exciting and a jumpstart I don't see many options.

Sell and enjoy life
visit some nurseries and see if somebody might be interested
try other companies in area, might find somebody who isn't happy with the company they are with
Ya wanna buy??!! No you're right - we just need to get re-energized. Maybe if we go to the NC tradeshow this weekend we can get some motivation back - or at least network for a potential candidate! Thanks for the pep talk
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

There you go. Trust me going through same thing, had major neck surgery on December so out till march, jjust had 2 teeth pulled with infection running through body and also because of surgery required to give up smoking after 30 years.

We al go through a funk, I just went and looked at some of my old work and talked with some customers, helped me snap out of it.

Best of luck
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're burnt out, why not have your husband sell instead of doing the grunt work?

I think you were fortunate enough not to have to advertise over the years, but unfortunately, this is what happens when you don't... the business eventually stops. You need to constantly stay ahead of the game; continuing to be innovative, fresh, and driven to succeed.

Doug
Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmyers View Post
we have a small (avg. 4 employees) landscape install business in western NC. My husband has been in the business for almost 25 years and is completely burned out. We have done fairly well over the years but the economy and new blood has changed the work climate here. We have always operated by word of mouth (no advertisement costs!) and had plenty of work. Now many of the builders we worked with are struggling. We have a great facility to operate from and have lots of equipment and trucks (all paid for). We have tried over the years to find a good foreman and have not succeeded but we have some awesome laborers that have been with us a long time. My question is what are your thoughts on inviting someone into a partnership arrangement that could bring in some fresh energy and clients? It could be a win-win for both parties I would think or am I being unrealistic? How would I go about screening someone for this situation? Thanks for any input...
ccccccccccccccccccccc
Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

im not to far from you,and have done a lot of property pres work on your side of the mountain,everyone gets burned out,even me,sometimes its the winter blues that make me hate this biz,but i love the spring,summer and fall in this business,i mean i get paid to do what i love win,win.hope you get all the answers you are looking for,and things work out,good luck.
1997 bunton goodall 48" walkbehind
2000 craftman 22 pusher 6hp b&g
2011 stihl gs 90r weedeater
2011 kawasaki 27b weedeater
2011 stihl br600
hustler trailor with weedeater rack5x14.6
1950 ford 8n with 5 foot bush hogg
Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbmyers View Post
we have a small (avg. 4 employees) landscape install business in western NC. My husband has been in the business for almost 25 years and is completely burned out. We have done fairly well over the years but the economy and new blood has changed the work climate here. We have always operated by word of mouth (no advertisement costs!) and had plenty of work. Now many of the builders we worked with are struggling. We have a great facility to operate from and have lots of equipment and trucks (all paid for). We have tried over the years to find a good foreman and have not succeeded but we have some awesome laborers that have been with us a long time. My question is what are your thoughts on inviting someone into a partnership arrangement that could bring in some fresh energy and clients? It could be a win-win for both parties I would think or am I being unrealistic? How would I go about screening someone for this situation? Thanks for any input...
How about establishing some sort of a profit sharing system with the current employees. New customers you get a percentage of????????
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I want to thank everyone for their input...I went to the Green n Growing educational classes yesterday in Greensboro and it gave me some encouragement/motivation. I spoke with quite a few others who shared my same sentiment, but of course there are not many other options out there right now. Bottom line is its worth taking a hard look and just adjusting for the current times. Good luck to all...
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good plan!

Doug

Tags
business opportunity , foreman , partnership , western nc