Register free!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwimaintenance View Post
You hit that right on the nose about people being able to come up with the money. I am looking for around 125,000 for my business and not sure anyone could come up with that.
NWI

Sorry but most people with $ 125 K cash are not real interested in purchasing a Lawn Business. I used to buy mowing Business instead of advertising. Because I had both the irrigation and Pest License is was a great way to build those Accounts by up sells. Because it is so hard to sell a mowing business I could buy them sweat equity. I mowed them for so many months while the former guy collected. This make it more affordable for me and they got paid while still having some control.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric is right. Few have the cash to pay you. Few banks will loan for that situation. Banks may loan a few dollars on iron--equipment--because it is can be repoed.

You have to become your own bank. Let your buyer pay 20 percent per month and take a few percent for interest.

Protect yourself in case he fails to pay. As Ric suggested, let him do the work and you retain the company name and have the checks sent to you. After the final payment transfer the name and change the mailing address.

Deal the equipment separately.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwimaintenance View Post
You hit that right on the nose about people being able to come up with the money. I am looking for around 125,000 for my business and not sure anyone could come up with that.
Who the hell is going to pay $125k to move back up north and live in that crap again? Especially in a Chicago area suburb or close to Gary IN....wasn't Gary the Murder capital of the country a few years back? Sounds like a great place to risk it all and move your family too. Sounds like a dream set up...where do I sign up? I personally can not wait to push snow Good luck getting a buck and a quarter cash out of someone on that. Not saying you can not find a buyer...just doubting that you are going to get a cash price for it in this economy...unless a cash rich larger company feels it just has too much cash laying around and thinks investing in lawns is the best possible ROI they are going to see

Good Luck to you though.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would contact a business broker in your area. They will do a valuation on your business usually based on "owner benefit" . Owner benefit is your salary plus whatever benefits you have like company car health care etc. Most companies in general sell for 1-3 times owner benefit. A business broker will reach out to business people who want to make a return on investment. If your company is run soundly and has a track record of turning a profit you can sell it just like any other business. Biggest mistake people make trying to sell a landscape business is getting advice and valuations from broke lawn jockeys. Take artistree in my area. A business guy retiring from up north bought this company and one other company a few years back. The other company was an ice cream stand or something. Turned artistree into a 15 million dollar a year company (aprox.) Gross sales doesn't mean very much when evaluating a business, it's all about the profit. Go onto bizbuysell.com and you will find plenty of business like yours on there for sale.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had some good offers for my equipment, now considering selling equipment and accounts separately, If anyones interested please contact me.
pics of equipment available

nick
Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I would contact a business broker in your area. They will do a valuation on your business usually based on "owner benefit" . Owner benefit is your salary plus whatever benefits you have like company car health care etc. Most companies in general sell for 1-3 times owner benefit. A business broker will reach out to business people who want to make a return on investment. If your company is run soundly and has a track record of turning a profit you can sell it just like any other business. Biggest mistake people make trying to sell a landscape business is getting advice and valuations from broke lawn jockeys. Take artistree in my area. A business guy retiring from up north bought this company and one other company a few years back. The other company was an ice cream stand or something. Turned artistree into a 15 million dollar a year company (aprox.) Gross sales doesn't mean very much when evaluating a business, it's all about the profit. Go onto bizbuysell.com and you will find plenty of business like yours on there for sale.
Posted via Mobile Device
I used a business broker in Sarasota, many years ago, to sell my business there. They found an officer in the Air Force that wanted to retire, move south and just keep busy, they got me a bunch more money than I would have had the --- to ask for. Go to a business broker !!!