Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Exclamation A 75 year old lady changed prices after an agreed price.

I bid a new account the other day over the phone. I looked her house up on Google earth and she had already told me the price her other guy paid before he retired just now. She has a normal straight lot like 80x120. She didn't want me to come out until the 28th to mow and start service because of her social security check doesn't come till then. So she just calls me just now and changed it all. We agreed to $75 a month and I will clean her gutters out for $40 when I come out too since they need it.

I agreed to mow a lawn for $75 a month since that what she said she paid the other guy but he retired. So then I get a call a week later. She said oh no I mean $75 a month in the summer time. He only charged me by the cut in the winter time. I said ok well it will be $30 a cut then. I can't seem to find any good accounts yet. I'm up to 3 now but two of them are $20 a cut and trim. And now hers. I thought yea i finally have a monthly. Then zap! Nope.

I'm in the news paper and all over the internet and can't get but 3 calls in 3 months.

Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care Service

Last edited by Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care; 01-16-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Have you tried advertising in HOA newsletters? 80 percent of my accounts are in one community and all I did was pay $25/mo for three months to have a copy of my business card in the newsletter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Sponsor

Another overlooked advertising "gold mine" is Door-Hangers. With Door Hangers you can target particular clients & go for the ones with larger yards, hence allowing you to charge more per job. We have a lot of specials going on at Adeas Printing. You can get 1,000 door hangers with the revolutionary Band-It attachment on them for only $99.00. You can also get 1,000 combo Band-it/Stick-It door hangers for $119.00. By using door hangers you are creating a much more up close and personal conversation with your customer and you will really stand out from the competition. Take a look at our video page to learn more about Band-It & Stick It & to see our other specials & feel free to call us with questions! http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211
Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Have you tried advertising in HOA newsletters? 80 percent of my accounts are in one community and all I did was pay $25/mo for three months to have a copy of my business card in the newsletter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool thanks for the tip. I've been thinking of a way to get that accomplished now thanks to your idea.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Keep at it man;

Our best advertising medium has been our truck/trailer signs, our company shirts with logos on them, magnetic business cards and community news letters. The truck signs and magnetic cards have been the most effective.

The thing about door hangers, mailers or postcards is you have to be consistent, like monthly. Even then you can only expect about a one in a hundred return, and that would be considered good.

Whatever advetisement & marketing you do, offer a free service to get the call, give it a unique deal # so you can track your results back to the medium you used. That way you can tell which one is most effective and quit pi$$ing money away on the other ones.

Some "free offer" ideas might be 1 month free with a 12 month agreement, or free turf evaluation (better know what you are doing here), seasonal annuals @ 20% off (don't take money out of your pocket to give them the discount), use your imagination. Something other than "Hey, I cut grass too".

Get your FL BMP and commercial fertilizer applicators license, it's cheap. Net investment $15 for the BMP & $25 for the license. Get your FL limited applicators license. get your local business license, get insurance and you can advertise you are licensed and insured. We put our license numbers right on everything with the company logo on it. It creates legitemacy and establishment. Always keep your gear clean and in tip top shape, don't show up like a gypsy. Appearance is everything.

Be social, let people know what you do and don't be afraid to ask the question; "are you happy with your lawn service?

Don't quit before the miracle.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MegaViper,
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I was in your position in 2008 when I lost my job. I stared my lawncare company and it has taken until this year that I will make a small profit. I just landed a very nice HOA account that will finally put me over the edge.

I also have had lots of help getting started as my neighbor is slowly retiring from lawncare. Any new contacts come to me and he has given me many of his current accounts.

I wish you luck but It might be a longer haul than what you thought it would be. Any yahoo can get lowballed accounts but it will take time to get quality accounts. I still have many pay by cut accounts but they do pay well and most of them are bahia and need no service in the winter months. A few of these accounts have also led to better accounts through word of mouth, so that is one thing to look forward to.

I'm also currently putting in time working with a PCO to obtain my pest control license. This is the direction that I want to go in.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnagain View Post
MegaViper,
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I was in your position in 2008 when I lost my job. I stared my lawncare company and it has taken until this year that I will make a small profit. I just landed a very nice HOA account that will finally put me over the edge.

I also have had lots of help getting started as my neighbor is slowly retiring from lawncare. Any new contacts come to me and he has given me many of his current accounts.

I wish you luck but It might be a longer haul than what you thought it would be. Any yahoo can get lowballed accounts but it will take time to get quality accounts. I still have many pay by cut accounts but they do pay well and most of them are bahia and need no service in the winter months. A few of these accounts have also led to better accounts through word of mouth, so that is one thing to look forward to.

I'm also currently putting in time working with a PCO to obtain my pest control license. This is the direction that I want to go in.
That's when I started(Aug 2008) and it has taken me this long too to finally make strides in the direction I want to go in(high-end resi).

Viper, it sounds like you have a positive attitude and are willing to put the time in. You have been in the game before so that is a plus. Just work hard, put your hand to the plow, and keep the positive attitude. If you have to get a second job, do it. I worked at a high-end restaurant at night for a couple of seasons while I was getting my biz going and it def. helped.

Hard work def. pays off.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBetterDoorhanger View Post
Another overlooked advertising "gold mine" is Door-Hangers. With Door Hangers you can target particular clients & go for the ones with larger yards, hence allowing you to charge more per job. We have a lot of specials going on at Adeas Printing. You can get 1,000 door hangers with the revolutionary Band-It attachment on them for only $99.00. You can also get 1,000 combo Band-it/Stick-It door hangers for $119.00. By using door hangers you are creating a much more up close and personal conversation with your customer and you will really stand out from the competition. Take a look at our video page to learn more about Band-It & Stick It & to see our other specials & feel free to call us with questions! http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211
Door hangers are garbage, every cheap skate start up lco is gonna be passing them out also. Nothing screams "unprofessional" as door hangers.

People hate them! I have customers show me the ones guys leave on their doors all the time, and you know what? The price on them is usually cheaper then they are currently paying me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
Door hangers are garbage, every cheap skate start up lco is gonna be passing them out also. Nothing screams "unprofessional" as door hangers.

People hate them! I have customers show me the ones guys leave on their doors all the time, and you know what? The price on them is usually cheaper then they are currently paying me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, we are changing the image of door hangers at Adeas! You are probably thinking of the traditional hole and slit style of door hanger. Those can be very flimsy and sometimes end up blowing off onto the lawn. We offer a much more modern and professional door hanger because we use our innovative Band-It attachment. Band-It is a flexible attachment that allows you to hang our door hanger securely to the handle. It won't blow off even in extreme wind. We also offer heavier weighted paper and a glossy finish. Our door hangers are like no other & our lawn care clients are very successful with them!
If you'd like to learn more we have a short video explaining Band-It & Stick It on our site: http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211
Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My best advertisement medium is still the quality of work, professional lawn crews in uniform with the company name & # on the shirts, clean equipment, truck/trailer signs, magnetic business cards and an outgoing friendly and helpful attitude (English speaking crews are a big plus too.)

IMHO, door hangers, mailers, newspaper/magazine adds are high volume low return marketing techniques. Expensive to produce, time consuming to distribute and extremely marginal on the returns.