Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

36" Scag question

Hi guys!

Im new here, i threw a hello in the new member forums this morning.

Anyway, long story short... I have a power washing company and i'm looking to expand to landscaping with my current customers.

I found a 36" used Scag walk behind for cheap but it needs some work. The guy said it needs new coil to run & to rebuild trans

It has a 14 HP Kawasaki engine.

My question is how much would it cost to have it repaired to make sense of it? I'm mechanically inclined, but never did any kind of repair like this so. if its easy i can do it.

Or maybe im better off bringing it to a local small engine repair place if its any kind of big deal.

Thanks guys! I appreciate any knowledge you may have on the subject. I have to get all my equipment before march on a small budget.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMO,

You need to keep look'n, Find something that already runs and operates...... Once you put a coil on you may find the engine is junk, As for the trans...... At a repair shop you could get into a 4-$500 repair bill, While some trans can be found online in the $300 range and install yourself I'd still be leery with the engine not run'n......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
IMO,

You need to keep look'n, Find something that already runs and operates...... Once you put a coil on you may find the engine is junk, As for the trans...... At a repair shop you could get into a 4-$500 repair bill, While some trans can be found online in the $300 range and install yourself I'd still be leery with the engine not run'n......
Still on the hunt then. This one was $350 so i figured if it was cheap it would make sense.

I found ones that run and work for $700 and half a dozen for $1000.

Plan B) was since i'm just starting out was to get a new honda 21" 217 with the dual blades for $600 and use and a cheap used backup.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Rob, if this is your first foray into grass work you should start with a machine that works. That being said, I have refurbed a basket case into a very productive machine for less than $400 by doing the work myself. It was a lot of work, but my only out of pocket expense was for parts and some minor welding.

As an aside, if you want a 36" but are considering a 21" you might need to look at the properties you are pursuing to confirm what size machine will give you the best return on your efforts. You can mow just about any size lawn with a 21" but at what point are you spending too much time doing it.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I stand corrected, he already rebuilt the trans. It just needs a new coil. Im assuming he means an "Ignition coil". Which im having a hard time finding online using the keyword "Scag ignition coil"

Heres what he wrote. Tell me if it looks interesting again if you could

ME:My names Joe Cerillo, Im trying to start a landscaping company here in Freehold. i saw you have the "Scag Mower". Is it hard to swap the coil and rebuild the trans? Im trying to build up for the spring on a budget

Seller: The coils not hard at all, the coils under the recoil and metal cover and sits right next to the fly wheel, the trans I rebuilt in August, the guy I bought it off of had it sit in a rain storm and had water in it so I took it apart and cleaned and repacked it with grease. Only needs the coil, other then that it ran great and cuts beautifully

Greg

------
Im guessing a coil has to be less than $50 ? i cant find one but maybe its worth it now
Old 12-22-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The coil will be specific to the motor, get the motor model number then start looking, another option would be to low ball him and jut throw a new motor on it.
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you put a new motor in if all it really needs is a coil?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-22-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well why would the guy selling it not just put a coil in it then keep it or sell it? Bottom line is he is buying a used mower that he cannot test at all. I don't like having to work on stuff constantly. Either way 350$ is not bad if the rest of the mower is in good shape.
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 12-22-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with Rob on this one, if the guy really wants to sell the Scag he'd spend the $50+/- to show a prospective buyer that the unit is operational. Either the seller is stretched for cash, really doesn't want to sell it or there's other problems with the unit he doesn't want uncovered.

Buying a unit that you can't see run/operate, know the history of or the care it's had, is like opening a can or worms--you usually can't get all the little buggers back in the can. Once in a while you'll find a gem in a pile of rocks but the odds aren't that good. My opinion--move on or force the seller to show that the unit is operational, even it costs you a few extra bucks.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd pull it over see if it even turns. Will let you know if it has more problems. Does it have compression? Check the oil. Does it have any silver looking stuff in it? is it clean? or full? Some mowers have a low oil shutoff switch. Check the fuel, is it bad? rotten gas won't start a mower either.