Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Unique Marketing

Who here likes to think outside the box?

Lets start a list of unique marketing that we use...here are two of mine.

I always run an ad in the paper year round so people always see my brand, but there's more. Every spring I write a small column on basic lawn care. At the end of the column is my name, my business name and my web address. I have become a professional reference in my community. They think of me first and remember my small column!!

I also hold a small lecture at the public library every spring. Its a simple power point presentation with tons of pics and again basic lawn care tips. Its free to the public! Business cards and fliers are handed out to the audience.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if this is unique but I have thought about joining one of those networking groups with other area businesses. Most areas have them. they usually meet once or twice a month, i just have not committed to one yet.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Our mowing season is a few weeks away. I also just finished round 1 of apps.

I am going to do another round of direct mailers.

Maybe xx% off first full mowing month?
Free mosquito app with full program ..... With last app free
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a great idea GMLC! By offering your experience, wisdom, and expertise, you are making people feel comfortable about trying something new.... (and after they DO try it and realize that it is time-consuming, difficult, and tedious then they will be calling you for the job because you have already built up that relationship and trust) Really a great idea.. I'm sure you have read the Earth, Turf, and Wood thread right? Well, one of his marketing ideas that I always admired was coffee mugs with his logo on them to clients who just had a job wrapped up... I am a believer in necessity marketing..... If your name(logo) is being seen all day long by that lady who is using your pen then who is she going to think of when she needs a fall cleanup? Yup... YOU!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
That is a great idea GMLC! By offering your experience, wisdom, and expertise, you are making people feel comfortable about trying something new.... (and after they DO try it and realize that it is time-consuming, difficult, and tedious then they will be calling you for the job because you have already built up that relationship and trust) Really a great idea.. I'm sure you have read the Earth, Turf, and Wood thread right? Well, one of his marketing ideas that I always admired was coffee mugs with his logo on them to clients who just had a job wrapped up... I am a believer in necessity marketing..... If your name(logo) is being seen all day long by that lady who is using your pen then who is she going to think of when she needs a fall cleanup? Yup... YOU!
I'll be sure to look up that thread! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For those interested in networking events I talk about them in this thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...85#post4687085
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post

I also hold a small lecture at the public library every spring. Its a simple power point presentation with tons of pics and again basic lawn care tips. Its free to the public! Business cards and fliers are handed out to the audience.
I think this is an awesome idea! That's definitely thinking outside the box...I might just implement this idea if you don't mind???

Again really great idea GMLC!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
I think this is an awesome idea! That's definitely thinking outside the box...I might just implement this idea if you don't mind???

Again really great idea GMLC!
Thanks! Go for it!! The best part is it costs nothing to do. The library will even post the event on their website and hang posters around the library to advertise it. I hang flyers at the town hot spots as well to get the word out. You could always run an ad about it in the local paper too.

I have had a very in depth marketing plan in place for a few years now and Im finally getting around to sharing some of my tricks here on LS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Thanks! Go for it!! The best part is it costs nothing to do. The library will even post the event on their website and hang posters around the library to advertise it. I hang flyers at the town hot spots as well to get the word out. You could always run an ad about it in the local paper too.

I have had a very in depth marketing plan in place for a few years now and Im finally getting around to sharing some of my tricks here on LS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Great, thanks brother.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Target some of the larger subdivisions/HOA in your area and offer to give a free seminar in the spring on basic lawn tips/care/fert. Set up signs throughout the neighborhood saying "Lawn Seminar 6/8 730PM" brought to you by ABC Lawncare

Many of these larger places have clubhouses/lounges where you can present

A business owner I know will pick an accessible house in one of these large subdiv. and do this house for free as a showcase home. A small property strategically picked out that includes the full service treatment. He places a small sign out front each time they come by. The hope is that since hundreds of cars/neighbors pass by this house each week that he will gain new customers. He says it has worked well for him.

Sponsor a little league or YMCA team. The whole team wears your name/logo on their shirts.

None of this is really all that unique, but just different ways to get your name out there and legitimize your business