Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what i'm gonna try this year. using service autopilot and bluepay, it seems to be a good setup but i will see soon enough i guess. i'm not making it a requirement for them to setup on autopay but its gonna cost more if they are not on auto-pay. I am just not sure how many people will want to give that info to a lawn guy.

all i know is that this year my customers who have had issues paying in the past will be given a choice to be setup on auto-pay or hit the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
I learned that the lawn care millionaire guy has credit cards for customers on file so he can charge each client right after service and is paid without having to bill and wait for them to pay.

Not sure what he uses and this type of set up may take more legal requirements but that is the way I think it should be. Sick of waiting for payments. I want my money when I'm finished. Period.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Sponsor

You'd be surprised at how many customers are OK with auto pay. The key is communication and transparency. Make sure they know why you are doing it: the environment (save paper bills and stamps), or just to save money. Tell them that if you can keep your costs down, you can keep their rates from increasing (which is why charging a convenience fee is not a good idea). Next, use emails to let them know when you are going to bill their card and how much. Then do it !!! Don't bill early, or late or another amount. Lastly, a customer portal is key. You need this to allow the customer to securely add their bank or credit card info. Also, by letting them see their billing and payment history, it gives them a sense of being in control of their account. As long as they can always see what's been billed and when, they will be OK. No surprises. Trust me...this really does work.
bpallazza@reliabills.com
Old 01-09-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is a deductable expense but if you still don't want to pay the fees there are ways around it. As Tony pointed out the law changed in most states. For the others you can either offer a cash discount or add convenience charge for online bill pay, both are completely legal.

No matter how you slice it the time and fuel saved from having to go to the bank and cash checks balances out most of the fees anyway. I'm not currently set up for cc or online payments but I'm looking into it for the future and there's some good information here to keep in mind.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I just signed up for Inuit online pay. It's one of the best things you can do if you want to cut down on paper work and my customers like the option
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I learned that the lawn care millionaire guy has credit cards for customers on file so he can charge each client right after service and is paid without having to bill and wait for them to pay.

Not sure what he uses and this type of set up may take more legal requirements but that is the way I think it should be. Sick of waiting for payments. I want my money when I'm finished. Period.
I watched some of his youtube videos on billing credit cards after service. I was VERY apprehensive about this but thought it was a great idea to avoid the headaches about collections and bounced checks. 2 years ago we went to the policy of having a credit card on file to bill the service after it is completed or if they want to use a check they must prepay for the year. I WAS SHOCKED! No one questioned it. My cash flow is now nice and even. No collection calls. We grandfathered a few old customers to pay by check and a few got through the cracks without providing a cc number but this last season on a 6 figure revenue we wrote off under $100! Our credit card fees run about $400/month. That seems high but compared to the hassle of collections that's peanuts. The biggest problem is minor - the credit card it declined. We then just try again in a few days and keep doing that until it goes through. I highly endorse it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For those that use quickbooks for payments:

How much do they charge when a customer clicks pay now from an email invoice?

Is there a portal for them to log in to check their account info or to enter their credit card info without having to give it to me?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
For those that use quickbooks for payments:

How much do they charge when a customer clicks pay now from an email invoice?
Is there a portal for them to log in to check their account info or to enter their credit card info without having to give it to me?
Yes, it cost 50 cents you don't have to do anything
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Paypal. Cheap, instant and easy to use. Quickbooks links right to it with no log-in problems like my bank accounts. Easy for Customers to use, same rates on all credit cards and my web guy says was easy as pie to set-up. I've used numerous merchant service companies over the better part of 30 years and Paypal has been the absolute best.

I've had 3 disputes in the last couple years and Paypal resolved them quickly and all in my favor. And best of all, I routinely take large deposits and payments and there is no wait for my money. I had an issue with Intuit holding several thousand dollars for over a week once, soured me on them. Had the same trouble with Square, until they raised my limit, but once Paypal brought out their mobile slider I switched to them. Square holds your money overnight, Paypal gives it to you immediately.

Love me some Paypal.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Mows View Post
Paypal. Cheap, instant and easy to use. Quickbooks links right to it with no log-in problems like my bank accounts. Easy for Customers to use, same rates on all credit cards and my web guy says was easy as pie to set-up. I've used numerous merchant service companies over the better part of 30 years and Paypal has been the absolute best.

I've had 3 disputes in the last couple years and Paypal resolved them quickly and all in my favor. And best of all, I routinely take large deposits and payments and there is no wait for my money. I had an issue with Intuit holding several thousand dollars for over a week once, soured me on them. Had the same trouble with Square, until they raised my limit, but once Paypal brought out their mobile slider I switched to them. Square holds your money overnight, Paypal gives it to you immediately.

Love me some Paypal.
I like paypal too but need something to keep track of customers at the same time. That's why I was thinking of quickbooks.

You say you can use paypal through quickbnooks? Does that involve some techy stuff? I know your web guy said it's easy but how bout for the lay person. I do my own websites so maybe I can figure it out.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I started using Paysimple for auto billing last year. Should have done it sooner. I thought people would be hesitant but I've had no problems. Makes life easier for me and for them. Charging a checking account only cost 55¢ and credit cards rates are competitive.
Posted via Mobile Device