Register free!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New Mycorrhizal product by Soil Secrets

I found this information to be VERY interesting - enjoy!

In addition to our Endo Ecto blend that's been very popular in landscape construction and hydroseeded, starting on January 1st, Soil Secrets is releasing a new concentrated Glomus product called Endo Maximaģ. This new product will replace Endo 900ģ which contains 900,000 spores per pound and will have a concentrated spore count thatís unmatched in the industry with 1,450,000 spores per pound. Not propagules per pound but spores per pound. Most mycorrhizal products promote propagules per pound but that includes tissues that were not screened or cleaned out of the product that theoretically could become living mycorrhizal tissues. Spores on the other hand are most likely to provide a germination viability that propagules cannot match. Endo 900 is already specified by many State DOTís and Mine Reclamation Agencyís, and Endo Maxima has many professionals very excited as well. Itís a product that can be implemented into hydroseeding and is beneficial for establishing turf and herbaceous plants used in erosion control. Contact Soil Secrets for more information - www.soilsecrets.com
Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

They buy it from Myke out of Canada, they are produced in vitro instead of by host plant
there is some controversy on their viability in soil
Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think that is correct

Soil Secrets LLC in New Mexico is a commercial producer and supplier of both Endo and Ecto type mycorrhizal products. For turf you need an Endo and one species is all you need, as Endo's are generalists. Our turf product is called Endo-900 because it contains 900,000 propagules per pound of Glomus intraradices, while most other products will be at 60,000 or less. Our material is screened and prepared in an ISO 9001 compliant lab, part of a Department of Energy facility in New Mexico.

Bill maybe you should be talking to Michael and add this to your stuff.
You two would get along great!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought from the video they said they grow their own 'product' from his other business? Interesting.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a reminder that for those with space and so inclined, growing your own spores is rather simple.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you harvest them?? You would need something to innoculate the (chicken - egg) bahia grass. I guess you could just take all the dirt from around the roots and use that but most of the myco spores would be in the roots? Maybe chop up the roots, dirt every thing and use that??
Why not just buy the pure spores by the pound. I think you can get the stuff for about $30 a pound for 1.5 million spores?? It would cost you more than that in time effort. Your thoughts Tim??
Old 02-05-2011, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not saying it is for everybody but it does, apparently, have advantages. Yes, you use grass in large containers or...? When the grass goes dormant the spores are produced amongst the roots. Yes you chop up the roots dirt n all. You need to originally inoculate, either with purchased or local mycorrhizal. I believe advantages are acclimatization, denser, higher sprouting rate(?). I posted an article on the forum somewhere. According to the article it is waaay cheaper than buying. Is it $30 for a pound of pure spores? I doubt that. I suppose gauging whether it is worth doing, besides interest, would be based on the density.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On-farm Production and Utilization of AM Fungus Inoculum

Tim - yes you did
Here is a link to that article - http://www.extension.org/article/18627
Or google it - On-farm Production and Utilization of AM Fungus Inoculum - the above is one of many versions. The actual one you posted had better pics but I can't find it??
But like you said you have start with some mycorrhizae 0R know how to get some from your property. I would imagine if you started with some known dirt from your own property and it has never had herbs/pests sprayed you would have plenty of naturally indigenous mycorrhizae and then you totally inoculate that soil with lots more known spores grow that plant out - have it go dormant - harvest the dirt/roots and spread on the crop fields or lawn that needs more mycorrhizae you could achieve good results? That's one way especially if you want to be totally sustainable, have the space, the time, the know how and/or have really large areas - like farms. But for lawn care folks like me getting some pure spores not suspended in dirt or clay or other mediums is pretty darn appealing. I have been getting propagules from mycorrhizae.com for the past several years - 'the best mycorrhizae' they offer but the propagule count is only 130,000 per pound - this new stuff is 1.5 Million spores not propagules (which I found out can actually be only pieces of a spore??) per pound.

BTW articles I have read and information I have gleaned from talking with the pros say you need a 50 spore count per sq ft of turf to get fast growing/going results. So 130,000 propagule count would get you about 2600 sq ft of coverage. 1,450,000 would get you 29,000 sq ft of coverage. Mycorrhizae has proven over and over in many, many tests to get new grass up and mowable much, much faster and has huge drought protection qualities. But the flip side is herbs/pests do harm mycorrhizae. So regular inoculations are good for your properties - if you are using any herbs/pests.

So there you have it folks two different ways to get you where you need to go ... and a new source of the highest concentration of spores I have EVER heard of. Just spreading the good news (I mean mycorrhizae)......

Last edited by Barefoot James; 02-05-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used mycorrhizal fungi for some time on pine trees to help them survive. I was not aware that they could help turfgrass. The coralroot orchids around here cannot survive without the fungi so they are a good indication of the fungus being present. My opinion is that using pesticides for turfgrass is a waste of resources. I have noticed that their use seems to destroy the mycorrhizal fungi which causes slash pines to yellow and die with ips beetles. Is there a comprehensive list of different species of fungi and their hosts?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ecto and Endo Mycorrhizae

ICT Bill wrote this about Mycorrhizae-
There are some plants that are non mycorrhizal for instance:
Beet, Orchid, Protea, Carnation, Rush, Sedge, Heath, Rhododendron, Azalea

There are some plants like the wild mustard on the east coast that actually kills mycorrhizae fungi as it encroaches into areas. The wild mustard has become a true invasive here in the mid atlantic. The mustard plant ******s or kills the plants by poisoning the fungi and breaking the symbiotic bond with the existing plant in the area making it much easier for the mustard plant to take over an entire forests

The myco you have used on the pine was and ecto variety this type of myco has associations with only 5% to 7% of the plant kindom. The endo type has associations with 90% and is the type in turf grass.

Mycorrhizae.com has a chart that shows what goes with what but that link on the site is down right now . So rather than post a bad link ....
I'm sure you could google this and find your answer but the two types are -
endo mycorrhizae - works with most plants and most common
ecto mycorrhizae - mainly evergreens