Register free!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial Auto

I've been wondering recently...

How many are carrying Commercial Auto Insurance?

I wonder when I see all the family vehicles pulling trailers around. Or the pickups with magnetics. Lately I've seen a lot of trailers hooked up to the bumper, I know my bumper says 500lbs max.

I could save about $100 a month if I put my work vehicle on my personal policy. Of course they will deny any claims on it.

Just wondering.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why would you put your commercial vehicle on your personal car insurance knowing the will deny claims on it?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

As a business owner you must separate yourself from liability.
We have always had our work truck titled and insured under the company. This way if I cause a 15 car pile-up on 1-4. I personally can not be responsible. This is also true for all of our equipment. (In volusia county) We list all tangible property with the property appraiser and pay a small tax each year. This creates a paper trail showing who own's it.
As far as insurance. We pay $650 for a year for one truck. This gives us a very high body injury liability and property damage coverage. We also carry comprehensive. (tree falling, hitting a deer) However we do not carry collision. If we caused the accident we do not get our truck fixed. However we feel the difference in price for true full coverage is not worth it at this time.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can. It's called adding your vehicle as business use. You don't need commercial insurance unless you have a dump truck or tractor trailer. My business is worth more than I am. You should speak to your agent about this and whether or not you need it. If they're wrong they have a policy called errors and omissions that will pay.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
We have always had our work truck titled and insured under the company. This way if I cause a 15 car pile-up on 1-4. I personally can not be responsible. This is also true for all of our equipment. (In volusia county) We list all tangible property with the property appraiser and pay a small tax each year. This creates a paper trail showing who own's it.
As far as insurance. We pay $650 for a year for one truck. This gives us a very high body injury liability and property damage coverage. We also carry comprehensive. (tree falling, hitting a deer) However we do not carry collision. If we caused the accident we do not get our truck fixed. However we feel the difference in price for true full coverage is not worth it at this time.
Excellent post! Right on, this is a high liability business. People don't realize it until they throw a rock through somebodies window or takes out a pet or a person.

All our equipment is titled to the company & insured; we purchase seperate liability 1million/2million @$900 annually & $300,000 max prop & bodily injury & comp on the trucks & trailers @$1,400 annually. Equipment is on a rider & covered for theft only.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

was going over insurance today, which kinda confuses the crap outta me. My commercial policy, is at 50/100, with 10/20 UM stacked. Its 4419.00 yearly for 3 trucks two trailers. Is that to little coverage? Am I paying to much? Meanwhile my personal auto went up...and this is the confusing part..3618.00 a year.. 06 BMW and an 11 Armada. Flawless driving record. What the crap
Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlco View Post
was going over insurance today, which kinda confuses the crap outta me. My commercial policy, is at 50/100, with 10/20 UM stacked. Its 4419.00 yearly for 3 trucks two trailers. Is that to little coverage? Am I paying to much? Meanwhile my personal auto went up...and this is the confusing part..3618.00 a year.. 06 BMW and an 11 Armada. Flawless driving record. What the crap
Good grief! Sounds like you are being raped. If you want I'll PM you the # of my agent. She's the best, and not on commission so it doesn't matter to her how much you pay.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
What insurance company is this? I'm with Geico right now.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

MapFre check them out at:

http://www.mapfreflorida.com/

We use great Florida Insurance's local office for our insurance needs.

http://www.greatflorida.com/agentsearch.aspx

The real trick is finding a good agent. It is very similar to finding a good equipment dealer.

People should really ask who is your agent? not What insurance company do you use? or Who is your equipment dealer? not What brand should I buy?

A good agent or dealer should guide you in the direction that gives you the best bang for the buck based on your current needs.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaViper View Post
What insurance company is this? I'm with Geico right now.
Keep in mind this is an older truck, business use only, and no collision! Typically collision is costly. Also this policy in no way compares to my family's personal policy's which is about 3 or 4 times the price.